Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:49 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : More interrupt fun...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:38pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all.

My latest interrupt madness, is trying to setup periodic interrupts via the SetTick command, to update the on-screen clock and pulse the external WDT.

SetTick 1000,DAT
SetTick 2000,WDT

SetPin A1,8

Do:Loop

WDT:
Pulse A1,100
IReturn

DAT:
Print @(25,205) Time$;" - ";Date$
IReturn

...but nothing is happening.

According to the manual, page 32, under SETTICK command, and with respect to the DAT routine, 1000 should mean that this interrupt will take effect every second, and that it should loop to the DAT(Date And Time) routine, which should print the date and time, then it should return from the interrupt.

The problem is, that the looping never happens.

Unlike my other thread about DO/LOOP, this time I DO have something getting printed inside the interrupt loop, so I should be seeing the time and date updating every second on the screen, I would have thought.

Can anyone throw any light on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:56pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The current version of MMBasic only has one SETTICK available
In your code, the second line cancels the first line.

This should give you what you are after.
The WDT sub is called every secont time DAT is run

SetTick 1000,DAT

SetPin A1,8

WDT:
Pulse A1,100
Return

DAT:
Print @(25,205) Time$;" - ";Date$
W=1-W
if W=0 then gosub WDT

IReturn

JimEdited by TassyJim 2013-07-10
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

BobD

Guru

Posted: 07:58pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Depending on your firmware level you may only be allowed one SETTICK in a program so it will do the WDT routine because it was last defined. I think some of the BETAs floating around have more than one settick but given they are beta and you are serious then you should stay away until they are release level.

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 08:08pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ah, what is happening here is that with version 4.3a you can only have one tick timer running at a time (in 4.4 when it comes out you will be able to specify up to four).

You should set up only one tick timer and count within the interrupt to tell if you should print the time out.

For example:

SetTick 1000,DAT

SetPin A1,8

WDT:
Pulse A1,100
TickCouunt = TickCouunt + 1
if TickCouunt >= 2 Then TickCouunt = 0
if TickCouunt = 0 then Print @(25,205) Time$;" - ";Date$
IReturn

TickCouunt is used to count the number of calls to the WDT function and is reset to zero when the required number of calls has occurred (in this case 2 calls). This means that the time will only print on alternative calls to WDT (ie, every two seconds).

Changing the comparison to this:
if TickCouunt >= 5 Then ...
means that the time will then print every five seconds.

Geoff

EDIT: In the time that it took me to write this others also provided a good answer.Edited by Geoffg 2013-07-10
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:30pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhhhhhhhhh!

Great, thanks a bunch guys.

I will play with the sample routines.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:01pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is my revised test code, which IS WORKING.

SetTick 1000,DAT

SetPin A1,8

Cls
Mode 4

Print "READY."

Do:Loop 'Simulation of other things going on in the code

End

DAT:
Print @(25,100) Time$;" - ";Date$
WDTC=WDTC+1 'Increment WDT counter
If WDTC=5 Then
Pulse A1,150 'Pulse WDT every five seconds
Print "Pulse." 'Only for testing - this line will be removed
WDTC=0 'Once WDT has been pulsed, reset the counter
Else
EndIf
IReturn
Edited by Grogster 2013-07-10

greybeard

Posted: 02:52am 09 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Your watchdog reset routine should be called from your main code loop rather than from an interrupt routine.
Reason being that your main code loop could crash and/or stall but the interrupt routine is still being called ( in this case by the main MM code that is interpreting your Basic code ) and would be resetting your watchdog. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of having a watchdog routine

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:37pm 09 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, I wanted to put the WDT there in the first place, but the way I have written the code does not allow it.

The main loop, is just a main menu screen.

- Draw screen
- Gosub WFK(wait for key) which waits for a keypress
- Act on keypress

I tried putting the WDT pulse in the main loop, but it only pulses once someone has pressed a key - I would expect that, as the WFK does not return until someone HAS pressed a key.

Next, I tried putting the WDT pulse inside the WFK routine, but MMBASIC complained about their being too many concurrent pulse commands, and the program stops.

I could understand that too, as WFK just loops around and around, waiting for a keypress - ANY keypress. The main loop decides what that keypress is, once WFK returns with the value of the keypress in KEY$.

I will still take your advise though, and see if I can move it somehow.

As I developed the code, WFK ended up with the keypress detection routine, and also the code to draw the clock and date on the screen.

The date and time code has now been separated from this loop, and linked to a SetTick interrupt, as mentioned above. I thought I might as well pulse the WDT at the same time as updating the clock(or thereabouts).

But you are right - I need to move this somewhere else and FIND a way to make it work in the main loop, cos one of things I was going to have happen, was for the WDT to reset the system, if someone goes into a sub-menu on the screen, but then(for whatever reason), does not come back to the main menu. The WDT will time-out in these cases, reset the PIC32, and restart the program at the main menu without Human intervention.

Currently, this won't happen in the above example for precisely the reason you mentioned.

I will work on it.

Above code was example only, to teach me how to make it work - now I will have a serious go at porting the date and time part to the main code.Edited by Grogster 2013-07-10

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 03:35pm 09 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think the ON KEY interrupt would be a perfect command for what you want to do.
Combine it with a FSM (Finite-State Machine) to make it simple and easy to maintain and test.
Google gives you lots of hits for FSM's.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:42pm 09 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool, thanks.

Never heard of an FSM - will read some links...

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024