Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:50 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MM/CMM: Full screen editor

Juri74

Posted: 11:41pm 08 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i reached the honorable length of 600 lines of code for my next game (and it's not finished) i noticed a considerable slow down of the editor speed, especially displaying after about the 450th line become very slow... and after that point the bigger is the line number the slower is the speed of scroll. i go to the end of the program listing a fews times but using PAGDOWN key because if i use KEYDOWN it need at least a second (or more) to display the next line...

is that normal?

Juri

EDIT> wrong key pressed, program length is 700 lines (the fact is that i didn't noticed that i'm reaching the 800 lines of program....)Edited by Juri74 2013-07-10

Blackened

Posted: 05:14pm 10 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry Juri, I can't comment directly on your problem, but I use MM Edit for program creation, and use my Duinomite for debugging or tweaking.

The editor makes programming easier IMHO and it has inbuilt communications to load your files onto the maximite etc...

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 05:53pm 11 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I just tested it with a 1200 line program (that filled memory) and it seemed OK, there was a slight delay before the next line was displayed but it was only a tenth of a second or so.

I am not sure what is going on here.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:27pm 11 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have the same thing with my CGCMM1 or CGCMM2 units with my menu-driven program I am developing. It is now 784 lines. Even PageUp and PageDown take about 1 second or so to happen - each individual line of code is redrawn on the screeen with each press of PgUp or PgDn.

Line by line moving with the arrow keys, I get the same delays as mentioned by Juri74.

I figured this was normal as the program gets bigger.

I must check out MM Edit.

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Juri74

Posted: 02:21am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

sorry i forgot to mention that i use an UBW32 with mmbasic on it..

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:05pm 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am so please with the first impressions of MM Edit, that I am going to use that from now on, and just upload to the MM to test.

This can work well as a process, once you know the MM well enough to be confident that you can write whole routines at once before testing, unlike when I was very new to MM, and had to write line by line and then test to see what it did!

I have the MM and my main PC connected via a KVM switch, so it is just a button press to get to the MM, type run and see what happens.

No disrespect to the built-in editor on the MM is intended - it is perfectly fine for smaller programs perhaps, but once things get much bigger, I love that MM Edit is coloured syntax, I can use the scroll wheel to go up and down etc - just suits ME much better. This is not to say that the editor does not have a place, and that others may well like it more then MM Edit - that is the beauty of choice. Edited by Grogster 2013-07-13

shoebuckle

Posted: 04:22pm 15 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   I have the same thing with my CGCMM1 or CGCMM2 units with my menu-driven program I am developing. It is now 784 lines. Even PageUp and PageDown take about 1 second or so to happen - each individual line of code is redrawn on the screeen with each press of PgUp or PgDn.

Line by line moving with the arrow keys, I get the same delays as mentioned by Juri74.

I figured this was normal as the program gets bigger.

I must check out MM Edit.

I have just loaded MMBasic v4.4 into my Mono MM and the built-in MMBasic editor responds almost instantaneously to commands such as page-up, page-down, top (Home Home), end (End End) with a program of 1075 lines of code (37kB).

There is a slight delay loading the program from SD card (2 secs) but after that the editor loads it and responds to navigation keys instantly, so something strange is going on in your environment.

Cheers,
Hugh

Cheers,
Hugh

Bill.b

Posted: 06:22pm 15 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All

if there is a speed problem may be its the PC beeing used i.e

is I3, I5, I7, AMD or apple. What is the Clock speed - 1.3g - 3.xg
how much RAM is installed and hard drive space etc.

then we can compare apples with apples.

BillEdited by Bill.b 2013-07-17
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 07:04pm 15 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bill,
I'm running a mono Maximite and a colour CGMaximite, both on a 9 year old notebook running Win XP and don't have a problem.
Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:50pm 15 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

shoebuckle said  There is a slight delay loading the program from SD card (2 secs) but after that the editor loads it and responds to navigation keys instantly, so something strange is going on in your environment.

Cheers,
Hugh

Cheers,
Hugh

I don't know what to tell you - there IS a delay from my end of things.
I could make a wee video and upload it for everyone to see, but Juri74 is saying the same thing is happening to him, so....

I wonder if it is related to the B&W vs Colour MM?

I have a B&W MM - I will dig it out and load my big program and see what it does.

EDIT: On the CGCMM unit, line-by-line scrolling is pretty much instant with the 784 line program loaded. Page-by-page scrolling takes about 1 second per page, to redraw each page of text.Edited by Grogster 2013-07-17

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024