Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:30 27 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : The official definition of Arduino board

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:19am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

and the derivative work of others
http://blog.arduino.cc/2013/07/10/send-in-the-clones/
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

Dylan

Posted: 09:27am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Clones are good for the ecosystem. Derivatives are even better - in theory at least.

"Compatibles" is indeed hazy. I bought a Duinomite on the basis of this, but the added feature I wanted - USB OTG - simply does not exist.

Counterfeits are, of course, right out. It is one thing to clone open hardware and even use the same USB ids, quite another to stomp the Arduino trademark.

But all works are derivative. MMBasic relies on Pic32 libraries and the Lucio di Jasio's book, for example. I'm not too impressed by Arduino's additional offset between digital pins 7 and 8. No problem with the designers' wish to make a profit/keep a job, but a sad decision all the same. Not that I need more than 2 PWMs now, but some day I might want to have six without buying a board marked up by over 1000% for what I want.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 10:51am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Once you transformed an open-source project (made/invented by Hernando Barragan which is not part of Arduino team) into a commercial one, you will start doing any other commercial firm is doing.

I've posted a comment there, waiting for moderation for awhile but is not available any more, I guess it was deleted. See the image bellow:

Screenshot - 07122013 - 07:05:59 PM by funlw65, on FlickrEdited by vasi 2013-07-13
Beyound Arduino Lang

psergiu

Posted: 10:56am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dylan said   I'm not too impressed by Arduino's additional offset between digital pins 7 and 8. No problem with the designers' wish to make a profit/keep a job, but a sad decision all the same.

The Arduino designers admitted it was a mistake - someone edited the final gerber before the first production run to fix a bug and accidentally shifted that header. No one noticed until they got them back from the factory. As the 1st Arduino boards were originally intended for use only for that faculty course, they left it like that. And after it gained too much popularity, they couldn't change-it back as it would have broken backward compatibility.

Same with RaspberryPi's USB port connector being misaligned with the ethernet port - It was originally designed for a shorter USB connector but they found out later that the longer USB connectors were 1/2 of the price. They used the cheaper ones but couldn't shift the mounting holes back on the board as the design was already "set in stone" after it passed all the CE tests.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:58am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Dylan said  I bought a Duinomite on the basis of this, but the added feature I wanted - USB OTG - simply does not exist.

I think you mean that MMBasic / DMBasic support for it doesn't. The hardware looks fine - or is it not?

John

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:08am 12 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

psergiu said  
  Dylan said   I'm not too impressed by Arduino's additional offset between digital pins 7 and 8. No problem with the designers' wish to make a profit/keep a job, but a sad decision all the same.

The Arduino designers admitted it was a mistake - someone edited the final gerber before the first production run to fix a bug and accidentally shifted that header. No one noticed until they got them back from the factory. As the 1st Arduino boards were originally intended for use only for that faculty course, they left it like that. And after it gained too much popularity, they couldn't change-it back as it would have broken backward compatibility.

Same with RaspberryPi's USB port connector being misaligned with the ethernet port - It was originally designed for a shorter USB connector but they found out later that the longer USB connectors were 1/2 of the price. They used the cheaper ones but couldn't shift the mounting holes back on the board as the design was already "set in stone" after it passed all the CE tests.

Hi Sergiu,

I read that excuse too, but they had the chance to repair that before going to mass production as is today. If you want a development board for students with low finances (and every one knows that a student is low on money every time), then you do the right thing - repair the design for breadboard shields. So nope, I don't believe them. Hernando Barragan did the right board before Arduino going commercial so they had an example and a lot of time for thinking. They did that intentional or it was a happy "mistake". So I think that their confession is a "weird" excuse at least.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Dylan

Posted: 10:46am 13 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said  
  Dylan said  I bought a Duinomite on the basis of this, but the added feature I wanted - USB OTG - simply does not exist.

I think you mean that MMBasic / DMBasic support for it doesn't. The hardware looks fine - or is it not?

John, USB OTG support on the chip is not the issue. Duinomite has a Mini-B and my phone has Micro-B. I want the Duino side to be AB.

But maybe I am missing something obvious.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 04:25am 14 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can't you just plug it in? Are any signals missing? Although if it lacks software how would you know it works?

John

Dylan

Posted: 05:41am 14 Jul 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Since Mini-B--Micro-B cables don't exist, I've bought adapters for both (with female regular A).

I see now (http://tzblox.com/PublicDocuments/ReferenceManuals/Microchi p/PIC32%20Family/PIC32%20Family%20Reference%20Manual%20-%20S ection%2027%20USB%20On-The-Go%20-%2061126F.pdf, thanks for putting them in order!) that I probably need to set VBUSON in U1OTGCON to get power. A lot more needs to be done to actually get a signal, so I'm working around this completely.

But yeah, learning a lot ;)

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024