Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 13:26 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Balanced line driver/receiver...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:22pm 25 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks.

Does anyone know of a circuit for a balanced line driver?

This is the thing that converts an unbalanced audio signal, to a balanced one, so you can squirt the audio over a reasonable length of cable without hum problems.

The receiver at the other end is just the same thing as the driver, but used in reverse -it combines the balanced line back to unbalanced.

Audio transformers have been used like this for years, but I think you can get better performance out of an op-amp based design, from what I remember reading...

Anyone got any links?

I will hunt the net now anyway, and see what I can find.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:13pm 25 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ADDITIONAL: I have found various options on Element-14, such as DRV134/INA134(or INA137) driver/receiver pair. I think I will give these a try, as they are reasonably priced, and designed specifically for what I want to do, meaning I only need a minimal PCB to use the likes of this pair out of the box, so to speak...

DRV134 is NZ$9.35
INA134 or INA137 is NZ$5.05

The DRV134 has 6dB gain. Using it with the INA134 will give 6dB gain, or using with INA137 will give 0dB gain. I will probably use the 137, as I don't really need any gain, as the line is driven from a 19" rack-mount compressor/limiter unit, so don't really need any inherent gain in the link.

If anyone else has anything else for me to consider, please post, otherwise I will orger some of these next week, and design two small PCB's for both ends.
Edited by Grogster 2013-10-27

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:39pm 25 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Silicon Chip Mag. had a project in the June 2008 issue that would suit your purpose. I have the issue and can email the article to you if you want. Send me a PM with your email address.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

cwilt

Posted: 04:37am 26 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Look here.

VK2MCT

Posted: 11:50am 28 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,
From memory one needs both + and - power supplies for chips to send to 'balanced lines'.
For resonable headroom at least +- 15 is needed I think.
But this does depend on whether you need to send 'broadcast' type levels.
What is the model/brand of the compressor/limiter & what level does it send - type of connector used.
How long will the cable be?

John B
VK2MCTEdited by VK2MCT 2013-10-29

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:02pm 28 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am already using a home-made balanced line, which just consists of 3k:3k audio coupling transformers available from Jaycar. CT of the secondary becomes the common line between each end of the link, and this is working fine, with no noise at all.
:)

I am just looking at a more electronic method, as I understand that audio transformers tend to give sub-standard performance these days. It feels like the link lacks bass response over a standard cable link, but a standard cable hums, so that is no good.

Compressor/limiter is Alto ACL2 rack-mount unit. This unit has both unbalanced and balanced outputs on the rear panel. I could use the balanced outputs, but I would still need something to convert that back to unbalanced at the other end of the link, as the device I am feeding does not have balanced inputs.

The chips I was looking at use +- PSU, 18v max, and I was planning to feed them from 7812 and 7912 regulators. At this stage, not sure if I will even bother, as the transformer link is working fine, albeit with what appears to be a little lacking low-end performance.

Still chewing over ideas at this stage.Edited by Grogster 2013-10-29

VK2MCT

Posted: 01:51pm 28 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hum!,
Checked jaycar and the current! 3k:3k transformer freq response is 2.5 db down at 300hz & 3Khz, hardly hifi (not even lofi really) but explains the lack of bass. (eek, there are 2 in series).
Jaycar have a balanced to unbalanced kit - $32.
John BEdited by VK2MCT 2013-10-29

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:56pm 28 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahh - great - progress.

I remember asking Jaycar about that kit, which is the SC kit, and was told it was discontinued, and they could not get me any.

...unless I am thinking of a different kit - can you please post the Jaycar code, and I will follow it up again.

I kinda am now motivated enough(based on your comments about the transformers), to have a go at building my own electronic link, using those line driver/receiver chips.

I would expect that the price of these + a couple of homebake PCB's would probably be the same or less then a couple of the Jaycar kits.

I will go one way or the other, and let the thread know the results. If I make my own link using the line driver/receiver IC's, would anyone here be interested in my posting the PCB files? I could put them in a ZIP as gerbers...

VK2MCT

Posted: 07:09pm 28 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bal to unbal kits seem to be:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5468
$33
&
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=K5522
$23 on special

Looks like a kit can be cut in half to make a Tx & Rx.
Or source end could use the balanced op of the comp/lim.

John B.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:19pm 30 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have decided that "Why reinvent the wheel?"

I will get a couple of those kits linked to by VK2MCT.

Proven design, will work out of the box.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:54pm 31 Oct 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

ADDITIONAL: Jaycar say that code is discontinued, so will get them from Altronics - cheaper anyway. Odd that Jaycar still list the kit, and it is not marked as being discontinued on their website - I drew their attention to that, but weather it gets followed up on...

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024