Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:38 21 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : DMA2D Advantages for Graphics in MCU Apps

camguy

Posted: 04:06am 24 Dec 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

DMA2D (2D direct memory access) peripheral in an MCU can treat graphics used in a GUI with very little code and core processing time.

When we saw the DMA2D with integrated SDRAM and LCD controllers on the STM32F429, it was clear that this integration marked a revolution in graphics use in MCU apps.

Francis Lamotte describes the DMA2D implementation and shows how it is used in this article:

http://www.embedded.com/design/mcus-processors-and-socs/4426 244/2/Building-eye-catching-GUIs-for-your-embedded-MCU-desig ns

Source code for his demo application is provided at stm32circle.com

darthmite

Posted: 06:24am 24 Dec 2013
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Will be interesting to know from where they get the STM32F429 chip , no other can
get them actually.
About the CircleOs , well , we have allot other OS on stm32 (and open sourced)
Better will be to have the source from the library , the source code for use the library is useless without the 'what' is making the stuff working.
I do myself test on st429i disco board (little modified).
My modded board
My FULL library will be posted on ST Forum until i have clean the code ;)
It work perfectly with 16Mb expansion , VGA Video , Wii Classic , 2 x tm1638 and
SD Card.
it have :
Graphics on VGA at 240x320 , 320x240, 640x650 , 640x400, 640x480 , 720x400 at 16bit.
Wii Classic game controller library.(2 pins I2C)
tm1638 for LED segments + allot of button control (3 pins SPI)
SD Card Library.
And it use the DMA2D and LTDC ;)

The schematic for the little expansion board is still on rev1.0 page.
(if you don't build it , then just made a little R-2R DAC for the video).
Here you go away from the microscopic disco board LCD ;)

Cheers.

PS : i was reading the ST Forum in same time i written this post here and .. oh !
i found this : hmmm ...

Edited by darthmite 2013-12-25
Theory is when we know everything but nothing work ...
Practice is when everything work but no one know why ;)

camguy

Posted: 01:05am 06 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircleOS is more in the class of an application scheduler, as opposed to a full featured embedded OS. It is intended to provide a level of abstraction that makes it easier to write an application for STM32.

That said...

All of the sources for CircleOS, the DMA2D implmentation and about 100 sample applications are available at stm32circle.com

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask or to post your questions on the forums at stm32circle.com.

Cheers,

Edited by camguy 2014-01-07

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024