Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:32 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Virtual Serial Comm. on Metro

vasi

Guru

Posted: 07:07am 13 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Anyone having VB.Net or C# experience in working with virtual serial comm. (from USB or Bluetooth) under Metro (a Metro application)?

I found a comment on a MSDN discussion, and is not encouraging at all (if the following is true, then is a stupidity from Microsoft part - a lack of vision?)

[quote]We want to develop Store Apps that can use a serial interface, either via USB or Bluetooth. It doesn't have to be ARM per se.

These drivers are readily available for the x86/x64 platform, but for reasons nobody can explain or understand, these drivers cannot be addressed from within the Store App sandbox. Reasons mentioned so far are mostly incorrect.

For example the fact that an App shouldn't be dependent of external hardware. If that was true, even OneNote shouldn't be in the store, since it depends on my physical stylus. And the app could (if well designed) be usable without the hardware too, but also use hardware when available.

Another reason that's mentioned is the fact that Apps could suspend and resume, and the hardware shouldn't depend on the App. True too, but that's true for any app using the camera too. And again: if well designed that's no problem again. Skype is still useful if you don't have a cam, and the cam can be used without Skype too...

Contacting a tablet manufacturer wouldn't help at all - and would be out of scope for nearly everyone. Even more, there is no way nVidia can help me with my serial over Bluetooth connection.

What we need is a legitimate workaround for a horrible limitation. Either be able to use such drivers that already exist and work on the desktop, or get a legitimate way to contact a desktop service that can work as a message broker. Of course only with the users consent.[/quote]

I don't know what to say... I remember when Microsoft presented their tablets long before Android and iOS, an advertising image with a technical person in a industrial environment, working with a stylus... they only imagined that people will use only statistics, notes and databases? Nothing "industrial"? I pity them!

VasiEdited by vasi 2014-01-14
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 07:36am 13 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Rather odd. The non-trivial SoCs generally have on-chip uarts or of course you can use a USB-to-serial device (very cheap, thus it's irrelevant whether the device has an actual serial port brought out physically) so it makes eminent sense to expect easy support in every development tool, from Java through C.

But Microsoft can be a bit out of touch and also often change their decisions so... who knows.

John

vasi

Guru

Posted: 09:10am 13 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All new Windows 8.1 (by now) devices come with touchscreen (including non-convertible laptops) and some even with bluetooth incorporated (which IMO should be a standard alternative to the serial port on tablets as usb connectors are worn out quickly). Too bad that I can't find a Metro solution - I am willing to learn a new language if Microsoft changes his mind.
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:08am 13 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, positive results are starting to come:
- Bluetooth communication between Arduino and Windows 8.1

... and just when I thought I was saved from learning a new language ...Edited by vasi 2014-01-14
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:40am 13 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Aaaand, success!!! The above application connects out of the box to my microcontroller via Bluetooth. Of course, it does nothing else, as I didn't changed anything inside app to meet my hardware configuration but is an excellent starting point for a nice Metro application! Now my topic is not just "abstract"
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 11:56am 13 Jan 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I-m using C for my ATmega and because of that, I don't need Arduino IDE or VisualMicro, but for those willing to go on Arduino path and need VisualMicro but don't have a full version of Visual Studio, VisualMicro can be installed also from inside Atmel Studio 6.1 as a tool or add-on, not sure, have to check again (I have it installed but not used it yet).Edited by vasi 2014-01-14
Beyound Arduino Lang

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024