Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:43 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : ElecFreaks cell-phone module...

Page 1 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:42pm 17 Mar 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This module here is available on ebay and other sources for only $50 or so. Another member here put me on to these, so it was NOT my find.

I have sucessfully got it registered and sent messages on the New Zealand 2degrees network, but querying the module, it supports Telcom NZ, 2degrees and Vodafone networks.

There used to be heaps of configuration commands needed for earlier cell-phone modules, probably cos ones imported from overseas, needed configuration to "See" and register themselves on the local cellphone network.

This module is dead easy.

Fire it up with an active SIM card, then:

AT+COPS?
...check current status of module - should show network name, and NET LED blinks once every three seconds.

AT+CMGF=1
...set module to text message mode.

AT+CGMS="---cellphone number here---"
...Specify recipient cellphone number

>This is a test message from the cellphone module.
...now send a CTRL+Z to end the message, and send it.

Easy.

Image of how simple it is to get things going: (this is from power-up)

Cellphone number to send to, has been "Altered" by my picture software, for privacy...

And the results on the cellphone...(number blacked out for privacy, but previous two messages shown)

Edited by Grogster 2014-03-19
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:39pm 14 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've been playing with this module again today. While the example shot above shows how to get the module working on a terminal, I now have a working code.

At the start of your program, or any time main power is cycled, you need to put the cellphone module into text mode thus:

[code]
Open "com2:9600" As #1
Print #1,"AT+CMGF=1"
Pause 150:Close #1
End
[/code]

That done, you can then send text messages with the TEXT subroutine.
N$ is the cellphone number to send to in ASCII, and T$ is the text message to send.

The routine will wait for the cell-phone module to report back that the message has been sent, and will exit with R$="OK" and TEF=0 if successful.

This code will work with the module, provided you have a valid SIM card in the module, and it has connected and registered itself on the network.(NET led blinks once every three seconds)

SUBROUTINE:

[code]
Sub TEXT (N$,T$)
T=150:D$="AT+CMGS="+Chr$(34)+N$+Chr$(34)
Print #1,D$:Pause T
Print #1,T$:Pause T
Print #1,Chr$(26):Pause T
Close #1 'Flush com buffer quickly
Do:Loop Until Loc(#1)<>0 'Wait for module to respond
Pause T 'Allow data from module to arrive in buffer
B$=Input$(Loc(#1),#1)
R$=Mid$(B$,Len(B$)-3,2)
Close #1:TEF=0
If R$<>"OK" Then TEF=1
End Sub
[/code]

Do not shorten or remove any of the time delays represented by variable T.
Without the delays, the module gets confused and will not correctly process the incoming data. The sub completes in approximately 4 seconds, at which time, the text message should be arriving on the selected cellphone. It is probably wise to disable any interrupts you might have running in other parts of the code, for the duration of this sub.
Edited by Grogster 2014-10-16

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 09:13am 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster, glad to see you got your freak unit working. It is a nice unit and relatively easy to make it work with the uMite. I am getting ready to play with this one...

It is really small, about the size of an XBEE module. The cool thing about this board is that it has a pic32mx170f256b in a qfn package already on it. It works with MMBasic as you can see here. I had an issue with the first board with the gsm module, but the pic and the I2C worked hence the display. I just received my new board and will start playing with the gsm hopefully in the next day or two.

Keep us posted if you do anything cool with the freak module. Very interested.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:52am 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim, Grogs,

Looks like a great little module.

If possible, can either of you do a quick current measurement to see what the module pulls in various states (i.e. idle, dialling, receiving, etc).

Also, what price to 'land' the module? And timescales for delivery?

Hope you don't mind all the Qs

Thanks in advance for any 'numbers'
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:04pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WW - I got my modules from eBay - several traders there selling them. This one is based in USA, but the freight charges are only US$6 or so, which is very reasonable.

Current consumption:

Standby: 5mA
Network: 260mA
Idle: 30-60mA (average)
TX: 150mA

Link to the instructions on post 1 of this thread does mention that you need to use a PSU with at least a 2A capacity for peak current requirements.

I am using a 5v 3A USB charger plug-pack thing. "Network" current figure is the juice sucked by the module during it's attempts to find and connect itself to the network. As this would be 2-way comms, this would make the current go up till it had established a link.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:29pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Playing with the AT commands for this module, it would seem to support just about any cellphone network in the world, that you can possibly think of. The list is 989 providers long!

2014-10-16_012947_SIM900_supported_networks.zip

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 03:47pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is a beautiful thing...

Use your freak module to send an sms to your smartphone using this string...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=yourlon,yourlat

now you can hook up your gps module, your freak module and uMite and have it send you tracking information for your stolen car...

when you tap on the sms, google maps will come right up and show you the location.Edited by viscomjim 2014-10-17

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:44pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

...and have the uM process an SMS you send back, which disables the car's engine, and perhaps plays a rude message via the likes of the SOMO-II MP3 player module to the thieves, locks the car doors to stop them getting out, releases a little chloroform gas, then dials the cops and plays another message to them telling them where to find the car.

Thief all knocked-out and waiting for collection.

...but perhaps I am getting ahead of myself just a tad!

I have been able to receive messages on the module though. This is still in terminal only at this stage, not being processed by the uM, but that would be easy enough to do.

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 05:49pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like the way you think, funny thing is, all possible to do with a uMite. HERE is a link from back in July I think with my first attempt at a little stand alone umite freak sms controller with 2 way "chat".

Looking back at that, the code is a bit "rusty". I will need to revisit. But it was a start.Edited by viscomjim 2014-10-17

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:59pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Had any joy with your new toy yet?(the new module you put up a photo of)

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 08:09pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know I'm slightly off topic here but wanted to add that these SIM900 modules are fantastic.

I have had one imbedded in my Vehicle and controlled by the Car Computer for the past few years.

Auto mute/resume of music/radio/GPS. Full Hands free through the Sound system.
Auto answer with voice announce of a caller in the Phone book. Auto hang-up (where applicable) and switch back to last screen etc. Auto alert if I missed am SMS or Phone call with SMS messages displayed and/or missed Phone numbers etc.

So many things this small unit is capable off and great voice quality as well.

Edited by KeepIS 2014-10-17
It's all too hard.
Mike.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:55pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for taking the time to post.
I have not played with the voice side of things at all yet, but I guess I will do that too at some point.

For fifty bucks or so, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities for control and remote txt messaging for security systems etc.

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 06:34am 16 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster, check out this bad boy. GPS and SMS all in one. SIM908. I WANT!!!!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:31am 16 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,

How many pins on the SIM908!
At least the BoB looks like only 5 pins

FleaBay has lots - but are these gonna be 'Power Hungry' do you think?

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 11:21am 16 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi White, I haven't looked at the specs too closely, but I would imagine it draws a bit of power.

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:47pm 16 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This iteadstudio one itead SIM908 pulls 500mA continuous and 2A pulse - urkk!

Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:57pm 16 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A thirsty girl!

KeepIS

Guru

Posted: 06:42pm 16 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

2A pulse on Transmit. That's one of the reasons I went for it - Transmit power level in difficult conditions and it does have low power modes for when you don't need the RF circuitry running.

It's all too hard.
Mike.

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 05:18am 19 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yippee!!! My little gsm with the built in 170 uMite (third post in this thread) is working well! Now to wait for the WhiteWizzard ublox gps to come across the ocean and get my battery powered tracker on. Since everything is 3.3v, I'm going to use a rather large 12v battery and one of these for buck conversion to 3.3v. It claims that it can do 3A. Has anyone ever tried one of these, or are there any other suggestions for this step down?

Thanks Again!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 06:11am 19 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Other suggestion for your power source is to use a bank of LiPos to generate 3.7v with upto say 6Ah, and then use a TPS6103x to generate your 3v3 (I personally would generate 5v from TPS61030 and then use switching reg to step-down to 3v3).

I have experience with this and it works really well. In fact, as we speak I am designing a full LiPo power management module for a GPS unit!

WW

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024