Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:42 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : New KiCAD components!

vasi

Guru

Posted: 07:07am 24 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used to check this source once in a while, but I forgot to do it for some time by now and I had a nice surprise today. A lot of new components in every area of interest. Some pictures:

Battery holders, recently discussed on forum:

Some RF modules

Logos for DIY-ers

But there are many new additions. Eagle become less and less required.
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 08:03pm 24 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

And look at this interactive router!
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 08:31am 14 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guys,

Do you like an working interactive router with "push&shove" feature for free? There is an windows installer for the CERN fork of KiCAD - no compilation needed. It was compiled on October 03, 2014 and is BZR5161 version (the stable version is BZR4022).

Download it here.

In order to use it, you have to watch this tutorial (mentioned already in the previous post), as you need to switch first on the OpenGL renderer, and not DirectX - don't worry, is a matter of checking a menu's option.

What do you think of it?

BTW, don't forget to visit the link from the first post (for new components) once in a while.Edited by vasi 2014-10-15
Beyound Arduino Lang

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:44pm 05 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is also an improved 3D renderer for the PCB (and a python scripting console, ready for programming additional tools):

Components are from the link above.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:44pm 05 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re: the exe download link - 404 not found.
Left-click, "Save linked content as" gives the full name of the exe, but if you try to save that, I get an error - "Interrupted download: no file"

This is with Opera browser - it MIGHT be the problem.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

vasi

Guru

Posted: 05:30am 06 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster,

Thanks for the warning. This is the web page. From there, you can get it (it seems that there you can find only the latest two versions, old ones are discarded).

Beyound Arduino Lang

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:43pm 06 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the fix. I am impressed with this router, based on the demo video, so checking it out. I can't tell you how many times I have had to manually move tracks just a little, to get something else in, and also manually make sure the track spacing is even so it looks nice.....

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:11pm 06 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I was also curious to see it in action and it really works. I don't have yet much use for it right now, but it was in handy when I rearranged some tracks, reducing segments and rerouting. Anyway, is much better now than in Eagle. Of course, some other KiCAD annoyances are still there but there are also many improvements.

One odd thing I noticed... when you selected the OpenGL or Cairo renderers, you can't deal with poured copper areas - you have to switch back to the default renderer. So, the correct procedure is to clear the poured area, switch to one of the two render engines, rearrange the tracks, switch back to the default renderer, then pour the copper again. Don't know if this is mentioned in the video tutorial.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:15pm 06 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Re: copper pour - no, I don't remember them saying anything like that in the video. Ta - useful info to have when I play about with it.

It looks like this is a beta test version. I guess once all the bugs are out, they will be selling it. Do you have any idea on the price tag by any chance?

vasi

Guru

Posted: 03:11am 07 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I don't know what they intend to do in the end. But they said they want to make KiCAD the "gcc compiler" of the EDA packages (something powerful and free). And for what you've downloaded, there are also the sources available. So be assured that is still about an open-source project.
Beyound Arduino Lang

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:30pm 07 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Acknowledged - thanks. Please keep this thread updated on any new info you come across.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024