Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 08:57 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : will exessive copy to a: kill my chip

plasma
Guru

Posted: 09:12am 29 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What do you think about massive copy files to drive a: ?
i am not sure so i ask .

edit by Plasma:
Manual page 4 give the answer.

edit by Gizmo:
Plasma you asked a question, then edited you post to say you found the answer, but deleted the original question. No one learns from that, so I edited back in your original question.Edited by Gizmo 2014-05-30

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:42pm 29 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Despite the fact that you CAN kill the chip with excessive writes to the flash(this is true of ANY flash, not just the MM being singled-out here), as Geoff points out in his example on that page, if you are careful about how you write to the internal flash and how often, then the device could probably outlive most of us.

I am still using the same SD card on a MaxiMite for my security system development, and it reads and writes to the SD card all the time(well, anytime something happens, it is logged and printed), and now more then one hundred code revisions since I started it, and this card is still working fine - that's a lot of use, really, and I still have not had any flash read/write errors of any kind.

Naturally, I also have all the code developments backed up on the PC and several other places too - not just on the card, cos if that failed......

...let's just say: "Ouch."

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

plasma
Guru

Posted: 07:02am 30 May 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Gizmo , i delete because the Question is also in the Topic .

sry , next time ill do it right.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024