Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:31 20 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Passing of a Member

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 10:39pm 03 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Guys

Received some sad news from Graham today regarding our friend "James from CanB". I'll post Grahams email here in full...

Hello Glenn,

Sadly my first task as a member of this forum is to notify you of the passing of James Deakins AKA "James from Canb". James passed away on 29 May 14 after a long battle with ill health. This has been notified in the "Canberra Times" today 4 Jun 14.

James was one of natures true gentlemen and although his profession was programming, he had a real passion to learn the finer points of electronics and control systems. I am a techo and he was the programmer so we had lots of talks and lab demos at work over 20 years, on the principles of electronic interfacing. The Maximite really excited him and that passed onto me as well. I was hoping to spend some quality Maximite time with him now that I have just retired.

I don't know if, or how, the other members of the forum should be notified to avoid any embarrassment, so I will leave that up to your discretion.

On a happier note, I have been following this forum every day since James showed me the original Maximite and I think it is the best learning medium I have seen in my 45 years as a techo.

kind regards,

Graham.

James account will remain active as a honorable member. You may notice his account was active today, I did need to log in as James and turn off a few email preferences and other settings.

Rest in peace mate.

Regards
Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:56pm 03 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gone to the big Maximite in the sky......

We'll all be coding for you, and you will be missed by all of us here who knew you.

I never PM'ed with him, but I remember reading many posts of his.
Very sorry to hear of this, and let us all observe PAUSE 60000 in his memory...

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:52am 04 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So sad,

Vale' James...

You will be, and are already, missed.

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

BobD

Guru

Posted: 01:55am 04 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

James and I had some correspondence earlier this year. We discussed his illness and that he was facing a hard time ahead with his treatment. He was determined to get well again but it was not to be. He was too young to leave us. He was a knowledgeable and generous person. His illness restricted his activities on TBS in recent months and we are all the poorer for that.

RIP James from CanberraEdited by BobD 2014-06-05

paceman
Guru

Posted: 02:03am 04 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh damn Glenn.... that makes me feel sick in the stomach. James was a really nice guy who helped me a lot with ideas on a rather complicated DOS MMBasic program I was working on a couple of years ago. He was very helpful with lots of PM-ing back and forward. I visited him in Canberra just as he was about to go back into hospital for more leukemia treatment. He was amazingly sanguine about his situation when I was there - even though his description of the problem made it obvious things were very serious. And he wasn't old like a lot of us are. I wouldn't have put him at more than fifty (if that) and he looked pretty good then.

I'm really sorry we won't see more posts from him - I used to look forward to them to know he was still OK.

Rest in peace James
"James from CanB" (James Deakins)

Greg

donmck

Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 04 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for informing Glenn and TBS members of this Graham.

Like many others, I was aware of his condition, as we exchanged emails from time to time.

RIP James. I know Geoff's Maximite gave you a lot of pleasure, and helped you along your journey.

Don...
https://www.32v8.com/d

aargee

Posted: 07:03pm 04 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bloody hell... Nice guy James was.

I always wanted to ask him what he did with those "Anal Probes" I sent him.

One of those people who left the world a better place.

- Rob
For crying out loud, all I wanted to do was flash this blasted LED.

vasi

Guru

Posted: 04:30am 05 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I respectfully salute a good member of TBS. Rest in peace, James!
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

marcwolf

Posted: 05:58pm 05 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Very sad to hear. But part of his memories and legacies live on here via the board. Often we do not realise that a invention like the Maximite takes on a life of it's own and involves so many of us together.
People we would never have met become friends and fellow experimenters.

Deepest condolences to his family.
Dave
Coding Coding Coding..
Keep those keyboards coding..
RAW CODE!!!!!

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 04:25am 06 Jun 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Requiem Aeternam dona eis, Domine
R. et lux perpetua luceat eis:
Requiescant in pace. R. Amen.

Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024