Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 12:10 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : iTEAD Studio PCB’s - wow....

Page 4 of 4    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:26pm 16 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

elproducts said   For anyone interested, I make a quick blog post and video showing how I use a sheet metal notcher to cut out my circuit boards. Click on the link below if interested. It's only about a 1 minute video.

Blog Post with Video of Notcher Cutting PCB

Very nice - I like. We'd call that machine sheet-metal shears here, but it certainly does seem to make a very nice job. Thanks for the video.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:38pm 16 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Lou said   Mick,

I am ready to send the two LCDuMite boards Zonker made with Autoteax DEX off to iTead, I have made the purchase and have my order number.

Did you just send the zipped Autotrax output or unzip and rename the files with their .GTL - .GTS etc. and re-zip ?? Did you name the zip files A and B ??

Gday Lou,

Sorry, I missed this message somehow...

I renamed all the files to the format that they seemed to want

ie.

IO Panel.GTO (top overlay)
IO Panel.GBO (bottom overlay)
IO Panel.GTS (top solder)
IO Panel.GBS (Bottom solder)
IO Panel.GTL (top layer)
IO Panel.GBL (Bottom layer)
IO Panel.GKO (board borders) This one was named something else I cant remember off-hand
IO Panel.TXT (drill file)

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Lou

Posted: 09:59pm 16 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Grogs, Mick,

I was wondering if iTead took native files from Autotrax without all the renaming.

Zonker went ahead and renamed all the files to the iTead format and zipped them up and got them off this evening.

The outline layer.GKO file is only shown on iTead's prototyping service - not shown on the small batch PCB service, that caused some confusion at first as how to define the board outline like they wanted. It turned out to be 8 files renamed, zipped and sent for each board.

Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

JTR0701

Posted: 09:13pm 21 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Edit. Not worth the controversy... Edited by JTR0701 2014-07-23

Lou

Posted: 11:41am 29 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

We ordered 150 LCDuMite and 150 Sea of holes boards created by Zonker from iTead on July 16th.

The boards shipped on July 26th via DHL and arrived here yesterday, July 28th. Wow, only 12 days from order to arrival.

The boards look great !! Parts from Digi-Key should arrive tomorrow.

Hope to have one built by the end of the weekend.

Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:50am 29 Jul 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

getting nearer to completion . . .
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:20pm 05 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Got my boards today - 20 days after order and they were sent ordinary mail.
I must say they are excellent.
I didn't change any of the file extensions, I used DipTrace and all the files were sent as .gbr.
I don't think I will ever bother making a board again, I had to order more than I needed but at the price who cares.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 10:37pm 05 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the post!

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:54pm 05 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, they are great. I am working on a new mainboard, which will be done by these guys, and is 200 x 150 double-sided, and the price is only going to be US$109.00 INCLUDING DHL courier shipping for five boards.

Impressive.

OA47

Guru

Posted: 05:46pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just to compare, I ordered my latest lot of boards on the 2nd of September, and was emailed and told that they were despatched on the 12th of September and when I used the tracking number I was informed that they left HK on the 24th of September.

Still waiting

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:27pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Did you use DHL or just plain airmail?

DHL is fast, airmail is slow(by comparison)

OA47

Guru

Posted: 08:05pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster

I elected for plane air mail, but it looks like the takeoff is the problem

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:33pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Graeme,

I believe that most Chinese companies lie/stretch the truth/fib etc about shipping dates.. I often get told shipped x date here is tracking No. then not see any mention for 5 days or so . I even get replacement tracking No.s often (mainly they are from DHGATE.COM) I reckon its to appear that they are super prompt but I would rather be told the truth...

The bottom line dealing with Chinese companies needs to be seen for what it is.. Most I have dealt with are pretty honest, you generally get the products, but they are very slow.. I would forget about warranty or any form of compensation if you dont receive the item or you get the incorrect item.. Even well known companies like DX.COM are hard to deal with when things go wrong.. I had to buy some `bike clamps' that I didnt order (at a slightly reduced price) in order to get the product that I had actually paid for as they wanted to stuff around and didnt like AUS POSTs prices for shipping back with tracking (more than the cost of the clamps) so I had to `buy' these at about $10US before they would consider shipping my order which amounted to about $100 worth of parts.

My experience with iTead was mixed.

I liked (read loved) the quality of the boards
I liked their prices.
I hated the way they handle the initial `upload/quote crap that wasted about 3-4 days before I had confirmation that the boards were acceptable and that the order was going ahead.

I reckon they also fibbed about shipping by about 3 days. I paid DHL which was cheap enough (I think $25US).

I didnt feel all that comfortable with their whole process so I stayed with my original FAB (sitopway) which make good boards at about 10% dearer than iTead but are super easy to deal with and always respond within an hour or two. I have built up a relationship with them now and they always give me free LEAD FREE boards. (Not that I could tell the difference anyway)

Anyway just my feelings.. I am sure you will get your boards Graeme.

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

OA47

Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Mick,
This is not the first time that I have dealt with Itead Studio. I have used them before, have had the boards in around 2 weeks. I was also impressed with there quality and consistency. It looks as though they are getting busier and hence slower. I was just surprised to see that the shipment hadn't left the country when I was looking for them in my letter box.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:34pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have to chime in here.

My last batch from iTead was ordered on 2nd Sept (UK eveining) and arrived on morning of 12th Sept.

I always use the DHL option for an extra $25 which has the only downside that DHL then charge me import duty of another 20% of the value on iTeads declared paperwork. The good thing is that iTead always write a lower goods value so an $80 order will be declared as $35ish. But then DHL charge a £10 admin charge on top of this.

Bottom line is for a £50 order, I pay a an additional £16 import. BUT this is stil wayyy cheaper than any other PCB supplier I know.

So iTead has always been my strong recommendation to hobbyists as they are QUICK and DECENT QUALITY at an UNBEATABLE PRICE.

I always make a prototype at home using a toner transfer method. From Eagle design to an etched single layer PCB in my hand takes about 30 minutes (double sided about 45 minutes). This then uncovers any issues (once drilled & assembled) with regards to component placement; and confirms the circuit does work as expected. Then after any changes required, I fire across the Gerbers to iTead knowing in two weeks I will ALWAYS have my PCBs.

One thing worth noting with iTead: if you select 100% eTest then they will always add a few extra panels. Even on low batches of 10 panels, I have had between 12 and 18 actually sent. These 'bonus' PCBs effectively cover the DHL import Duty by the time I sell them

WW (a big iTead fan)
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024