Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 16:57 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Linux

Page 2 of 2    
JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:47pm 22 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  I find the GUI is going as silly as Windows.

Not if you go for one of the lightweight ones. Smaller, faster, etc. Use whichever takes your fancy, but if you're thinking what you posted then KDE and gnome are ones to avoid (because they're fully-featured so big and relatively slow).

A happyish Windows user probably will prefer KDE. (Because Windows copied the same thing KDE largely copies.)

Anyone wondering what this is all about: Linux allows any GUI (or none, you can choose) and there's a choice. It can look like MAC OS X or Windows or ...

JohnEdited by JohnS 2014-08-23

geraldfryjr

Posted: 06:30pm 28 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Take a look at Ultimate Edition Linux!!
I have tried nearly every major Distro available and I always ened up back with UE.
I have few favorite ones that work well for my machines but UE tops my list.

It is a Ubuntu based Distro but creator Thee Mahn is a genius when it comes to this type of programming.

He is now creating an a program that automatically creates creates a distro based on your specified options and with out errors!!
It is called TMOSB for "Thee Mahn's Oreprating System Builder".

Very Cool stuff!!

http://ultimateedition.info/

I have been using UE for over two years starting with Version 3.50

I have version 4.2 installed and it is based on Ubuntu 14.04 and Mate, But I do have KDE installed in it as well and been running great since .

NOTE~ Forum will not display this URL correctly due to the inserted space between the "O & N" on the last word "edition" in the URL but the info is found at the UE site when this is corrected.

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-editio n-4-2/

I am also testing his latest 4.5 alpha version and it based on Ubuntu 14.10 and has something like 8 or so desktop environments already installed with XFCE as default.
It was only been out for about a week and a half now.

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate_edition/alpha/

At First I had a few errors occur in 4.5 and a couple of updates using synaptic seemed to have solved that for now, as it is still in an Alpha testing stage.

I have not had any issues with 4.2 even since I had been testing it in its Alpha and Beta stages!!

I also have WINE installed and it runs nearly every audio testing app I have and because of this I am finally nearing the end of using windows all together!!
I despise Win7 and what they have done to the filing system and there is no more support for XP and XP64!!!

For your older machines I really like antiX14!!

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I have used this distro on everything I have all of the way down to my 1Ghz PIII's and AMD K7's.
I have not tried it on my 400Mhz and slower machines yet but I am sure that it would work just fine.

It is a Very Fast but Very Lite Full Featured Distro and surprisingly I was even able to use those old machine on FaceBook as well as is on first boot.

This is something that I could not even attempt with them running XP!!!

I have tried this with XP and it was way to slow to use, But they were quite functional using antiX14 linux.

Of all of the distro's I have used, These Two were load and play and I never had to fiddle with any of the drivers or settings to get them to work properly.
I have about 8 different machines all with various types and brands of hardware in them
With the exception of running a wizard or two in antix14 to set up the LAN and monitor resolution for 1600x1200.

FWIW

jer :) Edited by geraldfryjr 2014-09-30
Keep on DIYin' !!!

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 05:22am 29 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is the one I use now. SUPER !!!

geraldfryjr

Posted: 07:48am 29 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool, I will check it out!!!
I love trying new stuff!!!

jer
Keep on DIYin' !!!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:11pm 29 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Might be worth mentioning there have been a few big security issues with Linux recently, especially the latest bash vulnerability. Bash is used on just about every linux based system out there, including Apple's, smart phones, routers, etc. Kind of scary when you read up about it. Unfortunately we've been led to believe Linux was safe, and it become wide spread, which is a dangerous combination.

Keep an eye out for updates, and read the security bulletins, no matter what OS you use.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2688932/improved-patch-tackle s-new-shellshock-attack-vectors.html

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:55pm 29 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Unfortunately we've been led to believe Linux was safe, and it become wide spread, which is a dangerous combination.

Indeed.

I remember a time, when some people used to tell me that: "Linux is immune to viruses. If you use Linux, you won't have to worry about viruses."

False logic.

As I used to tell those people: "It's only relatively immune, cos virus writers are not targeting Linux at the moment, as it is not as mainstream as Windows. But if Linux ever becomes popular enough, virus writers will target it just as they do Windows now, and it will be just as susceptible without an appropriate anti-virus."

Looks like this has come to pass....

EDIT: I should clarify that the above was told to me by others in the know several years ago, but they were right, and so I adopted the saying.Edited by Grogster 2014-09-30
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

geraldfryjr

Posted: 05:25pm 29 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes,I just read about the issues with Bash the other day.

Let's just hope that it doesn't get targeted!!!

I read that there are only something like 47 known written virus's for Linux vs the over 1,000,000's that window's user have to contend with.

Hope we can keep it that way!!!

jer

Keep on DIYin' !!!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 12:22am 30 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gizmo said   Might be worth mentioning there have been a few big security issues with Linux recently, especially the latest bash vulnerability. Bash is used on just about every linux based system out there, including Apple's, smart phones, routers, etc. Kind of scary when you read up about it. Unfortunately we've been led to believe Linux was safe, and it become wide spread, which is a dangerous combination.

Keep an eye out for updates, and read the security bulletins, no matter what OS you use.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2688932/improved-patch-tackle s-new-shellshock-attack-vectors.html

Glenn

I never heard anyone credible say Linux was safe.

People are generally being rather stupid (to be polite) about Shellshock. It's worth reading up on how it works and what sort of system it can actually be a problem for - it's not your typical install as far as I can see. E.g. do you run a server visible from the net and that also shells out in the way needed? I don't know anyone at all who does! Generally no-one does or ever did.

Clearly the bug needs fixing (all bugs do) but really the hype seems worse than ever.

Or did I miss something technical?

John

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:25pm 30 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Heh heh, I hear you!

Storm in a teacup perhaps?

Perhaps it is because of the relative seriousness of the BASH bug, in that you can do just about anything with bash from the command line.

Now, the fact that you CAN, does not automatically mean that anyone COULD, as you say.

Food for thought.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024