Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:59 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Static/emergency display using VT100....

Page 1 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:06pm 27 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have developed a board using the VT100 and a PICAXE 08M2 chip.

The PIC32 handles the VT100 side of things, and the PICAXE chip basically just acts as a serial memory of sorts, allowing you to setup a screen(using all the VT100 codes etc), which is then sent to the VT100 PIC32 chip.

The idea being for a pre-programmed VGA display screen for certain applications. I developed this, as I needed a specific screen to show on the VGA when my main system was in remote-access mode via the WAN. When this is requested, an electronic KVM switch is tripped by the main system, which then switches to the display message shown by this unit. Once remote-access is completed, the system reverts to the standard VGA supplied by the MaxiMite based system.

Bench-testing is working great. Not sure if this can be useful for others or if it is really more specific to MY needs, but there you go.

Board is 50mm square, including the VGA socket, baud-rate pads, colour select pads, PICAXE 08M2 message store, LED's etc. In my case, I selected RED as the colour for the VT100 used in this way, as red is often used to indicate something important or something needing attention etc. Using iTead Studio, you can get 10 of these boards for only US$9.90

Here is a quick photo:

EDIT: This is still a work in progress. Although the test version works fine on the breadboard, I have yet to actually get these PCB's made - I should clarify that point...
Edited by Grogster 2014-08-29
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 02:05am 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm missing something real basic here.....
When you 'talk' to the PicAxe, what language do you use ?
PicAxe Basic ? I have a few of those 08M2.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:37am 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The picaxe is programmed as normal with a series of long strings which gets sent to the VT100 terminal through the serial port.
The strings contain all the VT100 escape codes to give a pretty display on the terminal.
The VT100 terminal is one of Geoff's terminal in a PIC.

This resulting display is used to replace the usual VGA data coming from a PC.
The changeover is done using a KVM switch.

I think that covers it.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:17pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that's it, Jim.

The main system, running on a colour MaxiMite is also routed through the two port KVM switch. The KMV switch is opened up, and wires run from the button on the top(which selects which VGA/KB/M are connected) back to a relay on the main board, so that the main system can switch the VGA to the "Remote administration mode" message controlled by the board above, and this also has the effect of disconnecting the KB from the MaxiMite(via the same KVM switch), so no-one on site can use the KB to upset what I am trying to do remotely. In the case of the KB, it is really more of an isolation switch, more then anything else.

Some of you may well be wondering why I used a PICAXE, and not the fabulous new Micromite chip.

The reason was PCB space and available stock. The 08M2 is a better fit then another 28-pin SOIC, and I still have 10 or so 08M2 chips in DIL format, so that was why I did it that way. The 08M2 can also run at 3v3, meaning I can directly connect the 08M2 and the VT100 PIC32 directly without any level correction or additional resistors. The 08M2 has 2KB of memory, which is plenty for lots of screen setup strings.

This 50mm module can also be used like the normal VT100 unit, if you don't install the PICAXE chip. The three-way header at the top left is are the standard TXD/RXD/GND connections to the VT100, albeit with no allowance for >3v3 input. There is also a header for USB, so that updating the firmware via USB is also possible, albeit with a slightly customized cable. I am looking at swapping that header for a mini-USB connector, once I find some...

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 01:46pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

So it's way more complicated than simply connecting
the VT-100 circuit to an off the shelf 08M2,
a keyboard, and a monitor, and coming up in PicAxe
Basic ?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:54pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you are thinking of using this arrangement to act as a programmer for PICAXE BASIC, then no, it won't work that way. PICAXE uses and expects a programming IDE application - you can't program the PICAXE using a terminal.

However, once the PICAXE is programmed, you can then stream data to the VT100 terminal, and that is what I am doing.

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 02:15pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh well ....

Not to digress, but that KVM switch can fix me up !
I didn't realize such a thing was made that cheaply.
I should be able to hook my Linux PC to 1 channel,
my ColorMaxiMite to the other, and not have to worry
about terminal emulators etc....
I'm going to make one of the VT100 boards so that should
allow me to handle the MicroMite also .......

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:50pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It was a nice idea, hitsware, so don't be discouraged.
It's simply that the PICAXE does not talk that way for programming purposes, and you need the Programming Editor(PE) IDE software - but I have never seen that as a hassle, really.

The Micromite, on the other hand, is designed to use a terminal emulator for programing etc, and so that is why it works for that chip.

I found my KVM switch on eBay, and paid about US$17 for it. Comes from China, surprise, surprise. My one was just a two-port one, and was VGA and PS/2. If You are getting one, make sure you look for the PS/2 ones, not the USB ones.

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 04:52pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

> you need the Programming Editor(PE) IDE software -

Another thing I can't get to work in Linux .....

I could program the PicAxes on my in house XP
system and then take them back to the laboritory
and plug them into the MaxiMite for multiple pwms
I guess. (might be a problem getting them all in
tune (separate xtals)) ?

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

what could be quite neat would be to have the ability to have several message screens stored, and switch between them based upon the inputs to one or more pins on the PICAXE. you could then have several levels of 'alert'; an added set of relays (or a CD4066) could also switch the screen colour.

rob :-)Edited by robert.rozee 2014-08-30

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:48pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ hitsware - There is AXEpad for Linux, but I had issues getting it working in Linux too. I currently have PE5 on my Win8 box, and it works fine.

@ robert.rozee - I will see if I can add that by way of external pin. You could have several messages selected by buttons on an ADC string of resistors a-la the "12 buttons on one input" concept.

There are currently two I/O's on the PICAXE I am not using, and have just tied them to deck with 10k resistors, so I could use one of those.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:06pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Here is updated image:

This PCB now contains keyboard data and clock pins, although I just could not find out how to squeeze in the two pull-up resistors + 5v supply for the KB, so these are just the two main pins. Using a KB would be easy enough, with the addition of a 5v supply and resistors across the CLK and DTA lines back to the module - real estate is getting pretty scarce on this board now!

Board also now has provision for multiple messages using a string of buttons on an ADC pin of the PICAXE - you could program several messages into the PICAXE, and select the one you wanted with buttons. Currently no way to select colour - it will have to remain fixed. With a bigger PCB, we could squeeze in the 4066 idea of Rob's, but not on this board!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:33pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Groggy,

You can always mount standard 1/4w resistors vertically, that way the legs can be spread what ever distance is needed to make a connection, ie. one res can have 0.1" spacing and another could be 0.2" if you cant space closer..

Can you post a pic of the bottom layer to see what the tracking looks like in that area?

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:38pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,

On my KVM switch, it has the ability to trick the computer into thinking a monitor IS connected at all times. I am not sure how it does it so the VT100 terminal might not get fooled but it is worth trying without the extra resistor on pin 12.

Jim

Edited by TassyJim 2014-08-30
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:25pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Mick: Here is the C2 layer and it's overlay.

Please note that in this board, BOTH the top and bottom ground-planes are at ground potential. The top copper layer GP is not at 3v3, as might be expected with a double-sided GP board.

@ Jim: Yes, that's a point. I will build the board without the 1k8 and try it. I have pulled my breadboard arrangement to bits now.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:48pm 28 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a quick note here - PCB Zone in NZ - 10 pcs of double-sided PCB @ 50 x 50 = NZ$178 + GST + Postage.

iTead Studio - 10 pcs of double-sided PCB @ 50 x 50 = US$9.90 + Postage.

...makes you wonder how the hell iTead can do it for the price.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:05am 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,

You can do some minor alterations and get the pullups for the keyboard on.

See this mockup.. just a quick photoshop shove job.

Mick

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:17am 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Whose a clever boy, then? (rhetorical!)

VERY well spotted.

I will add this to the layout.

EDIT: This will ONLY work, if USB is connected, as you are tapping into the +5v Vbus of the USB connector. However, I think I can rework this idea. Edited by Grogster 2014-08-30

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:21am 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster,

Now would you like me to add a Triode or Pentode Valve for you?

One thing I have learned by doing PCBs is that no matter how full your layout is you can always squeeze something else in.

Mick

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:53am 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster,

Grogster said  
Please note that in this board, BOTH the top and bottom ground-planes are at ground potential. The top copper layer GP is not at 3v3, as might be expected with a double-sided GP board.

I usually do the same.. I like GND top AND bottom as I feel that it is better for shielding.. plus I feel having 5v on the top plane is risky and more likely to to short to metal connector shells etc.

Mick

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024