Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:30 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Static/emergency display using VT100....

Page 2 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:55pm 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  One thing I have learned by doing PCBs is that no matter how full your layout is you can always squeeze something else in.

Mick

Well, that is certainly true - look at what you came up with. Although, I will have to get a track over there somehow for the 5v input.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:57pm 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Hi Grogster,

Grogster said  
Please note that in this board, BOTH the top and bottom ground-planes are at ground potential. The top copper layer GP is not at 3v3, as might be expected with a double-sided GP board.

I usually do the same.. I like GND top AND bottom as I feel that it is better for shielding.. plus I feel having 5v on the top plane is risky and more likely to to short to metal connector shells etc.

Mick

Yeah, it just always seems to me, that you need more ground connections then supply connections! Making the top and bottom GP ground, gives you heaps and heaps of connections to ground. I just mentioned that, as I know that in some designs, it is perhaps more "Normal" to use the bottom GP as ground, and the top GP as the supply voltage.

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 04:30pm 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A thought would be to connect 'analog ground' to 1 side and 'digital ground' to the other . Only have them join back as near power in as possible. That might? give better resolution to analog measurements and quieter output on TONE and PWM ????

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:54pm 29 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ hitsware - good idea if I was needing either TONE or PWM on this board, but I am not. Perfectly valid comment, though.

Here is the latest attempt:

TOP COPPER:

BOTTOM COPPER:

Prompted by Mick's example, I have managed to squeeze in the two pull-up resistors on the keyboard lines. I had to have a single wire link on the bottom of the board - could not find a way to get the track back to the input connector without hitting another track somewhere!

I also added a Schottky diode on the bottom, as reverse polarity protection on the input voltage.(this required moving the 100n cap from the bottom, to the top layer)

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:35pm 30 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster,

I cant do a photoshop mockup as i am interstate and only have an iPad with me..

But, can you not squash the two tracks above the Vreg a wee bit, the top track of the two can go closer to the crystal, the gap between them have a double up of the clearance and can be closed to the standard gap,
The Vreg can be pushed down slightly.. That will enable 5v track from vreg to go to the left of the vertical track 3v3 the two resistors may then straddle the 3v3 track instead of your gnd pour,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:56pm 30 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice spotting - will make those changes later today.

Thanks.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:32pm 30 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, here is the new bottom copper layer:

I think we have everything in there now!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 09:35pm 30 Aug 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grog,

Looks good now..

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024