Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:47 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : UBW32-CC

Page 1 of 2    
palcal

Guru

Posted: 05:44pm 01 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a 4.3" composite monitor that I wish to connect to my UBW32CC. So I bought a VGA to Composite converter. The converter works fine connecting my computer to the composite monitor and the UBW32CC works fine with a VGA monitor. But when I connect the converter to the UBW32CC and then to the composite monitor,no go. Anyone have any ideas.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:09pm 01 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most likely that the VGA-composite adaptor does not like the taste of the CMM screen resolution. Most of those adaptors are expecting standard VGA resolutions, and I don't think the CMM is one of those "Standard" resolutions, although, 99% of all monitors can accept the signal none-the-less.

I'm curious - the CMM has a composite video output - why not use that?

(or is it that you need COLOUR composite, which I don't think the CMM can do)
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:21pm 01 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

T thought I would have a nifty 4.3" colour screen for a project I have.
Paul.

Edit. If it was some sort of resolution or compatibility issue I would expect to see something even garbage, but the screen is just black.Edited by palcal 2014-09-03
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 08:46pm 01 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,

did you have a proper power supply to your adapter? These adapters always needs a separate power.
My adaptor works very fine with my UBW32-CMM...

Frank

palcal

Guru

Posted: 09:29pm 01 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The adapter came with a lead to connect it to USB for power. It works fine if I connect my computer to it but won't work with the UBW32
Paul.

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 11:30pm 01 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,

did your UBW32 work correct with a VGA monitor? Can you boot your UBW32 first with VGA monitor and then hotplug your adapter on the UBW32?

Frank

palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:02pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The UBW32 works fine with my VGA monitor. While it was working I pulled the plug to the monitor and put it in the converter and get nothing. But if I plug my desktop into the converter it works OK. I tried another VGA cable but still the same. It's a bit of a mystery
Paul.

Edit. Frank
What converter are you using, I am using this one
Link Edited by palcal 2014-09-03

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 01:24pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Have you tried CONFIG COMPOSITE NTSC ?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:37pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sorry to have to keep repeating this, but from the auction you linked to:

Quote  Support 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 display mode

CMM VGA is 480 x 432 in standard 8-colour mode, and 240 x 216 in Mode 4.

Neither of those CMM resolutions are 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768, so the converter most likely just won't jive with that resolution. Especially with a $12 adaptor, I would expect that you must comply with the supported resolutions.

I guarantee that the problem is the converter not liking the taste of the CMM screen resolution.

For want of a better explanation, and you have already tried all the obvious with your PC etc, if the converter could output a message like an LCD, it would report something along the lines of "Out of range."

Here's a quick test you can apply on your PC - Set your PC's screen resolution to something other then what the converter supports - say something LOWER then 640x480, and see if the converter still works - I'd be interested to hear the results of that test.

I used to have some Dick Smith VGA converters around the place - I will see if I can find one, hook it up, and see what I get.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 02:40pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When configured to composite it is Black and White. I am trying to convert the colour VGA to colour composite.
I measured the voltage on pins 1,2,3 (RGB) of the VGA connector on my computer at about 0.8V ,at the socket on the UBW32 it is only about 0.06V a big difference but it still works with the VGA monitor. Maybe the converter needs a higher signal level than the monitor.
Paul.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:59pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That is indeed quite possible.

I will have a hunt for my DSE converter now, and I will post back with the results I get at my end.

EDIT: Can you alter your PC resolution and run that test to see what happens? That would rule out the voltage difference. Depending on your PC, setting to below 1024x768 might not be permitted, but you could set a resolution higher then the maximum supported by the adaptor and see what happens if that was the case....Edited by Grogster 2014-09-04

palcal

Guru

Posted: 03:55pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I could not go lower but went to 1280X1024 and it worked OK.
Paul.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:58pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  
I measured the voltage on pins 1,2,3 (RGB) of the VGA connector on my computer at about 0.8V ,at the socket on the UBW32 it is only about 0.06V a big difference
Paul.

I assume you mean 0.6V on the UBW32?
It has a diode clamping the level which should be around 0.6V not 0.06V

That should not be enough to be a problem. The colours will be a little bit duller, but OK.

It will be the sync pulses that are important.

I have had fussy converters before but nothing to test with now.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

palcal

Guru

Posted: 05:22pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

No the three voltages are .05V, .073V, and .08V. I would have expected the .6V as you say. Maybe someone else could measure.
Paul.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:46pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, I will have to eat some humble pie here - both the VGA converters I tested work fine to colour composite video, despite the non-standard resolution of the CMM.

Sorry, palcal - looks like you were right all along - it SHOULD work.

Text is pretty fuzzy though, and hard to read, but that is not exactly unheard of with these converters.

The ones I tested were Grand Hand View - beige case with all connections via flying leads, and the DSE XH8624 PC-to-TV Converter - grey box with two buttons on top.

You can't by the 8624 from DSE anymore.

I do have a couple of unopened DSE XH8624's in stock(still in their boxes), if you would like one - PM me if interested.

At least these have been tested and do work.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:03pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What did you test it with, did you use the UBW32.
What price on the converter.
Paul.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:14pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have four UB32's, but I don't have any that are setup for CMM - Yet.

I used the Altronics CMM kit.

Do you happen to have either the Altronics kit or one of CG's CMM boards you could try by any chance?

No cost for converter, but I would ask that you pay for postage - I will find out what that is. If you still can't make your $12 one work, I would love to do a swap - you send it to me so I can play around with it.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 07:23pm 02 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My UBW32 certainly does have +0.6V on the VGA pins.

Because the output is mainly black, you need to use a CRO to see the 'on' levels.
You could also paint a white box on the screen and then a multimeter would be useable.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:38pm 03 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK I tested the voltages again with a CRO and different colour screens and all is working OK. So I'm back to Grogsters original answer of screen resolution.
Still waiting for Frank to chime in again as he has a UBW32 working with a composite converter.
I don't have any other CMM only the UBW32.
Paul.

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 08:21pm 07 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,

please excuse me for my late response.
My adaptor looks like yours in your link and works without any problems. Did your your Maximite realy work in VGA mode???
Did you have a picture with a connected VGA monitor?

Frank

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024