Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:17 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : TeraTerm vs. HyperTerminal

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 12:28pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trying to get MicroMite going while waiting for VT100 ....

With XP / TeraTerm ..... it works (must remember to reset MM at each hookup)
With XP / HyperTerminal .. connects (get 'MMBasic ver 4.5 etc')
BUT .....
doesn't echo keyboard ....
FWIW Linux / MiniCom now up to same as HyperTerminal
SO ....
There is some small defugalty left ........
That TeraTerm transends .....
??????

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:33pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Interesting.

In theory, I would expect that Hyper Term etc, should also work fine, provided they are setup correct. You should not need to have local echo setup on either of those emulators, simply because the uM itself, echoes the key-presses back to the terminal on it's console without the terminal itself having to do it, so as you press a key on the terminal, it is sent to the uM, which then echo's it back to the terminal as proof that it had received the character, so it is odd that key-presses are not coming back to you as you press them......

I will see if I can find an XP box with Hyper Term on it, and have a play.
I've never really used anything other then TeraTerm, and as you say - it works.

EDIT: About the only thing I can think of right now, is that Hyper Term etc, might not be VT100 compatible, or are not set to be in VT100 mode. That is critical, from what I understand - a bog-standard serial terminal will NOT work - I did see that when I tried to use an old DOS terminal with the uM - it produced all sorts of wierd results, trying to interpret the VT100 terminal codes.

Also, I seem to recall that in addition to VT100 mode being needed, you also have to set the correct number of lines for that mode, so those are two things that might need to be altered in Hyper Term etc. I forget the number of lines - someone else will post it here - I am looking and will post back if I find it and no-one else provides it.Edited by Grogster 2014-09-05
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Goeytex

Posted: 01:25pm 06 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

There is or used to be a version of HyperTerminal called Hyperterminal Private Edition. I think this may support VT100. Should be a free download if it is still available.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024