Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:14 02 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMEdit and > COM7???

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:01pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks. MMedit Version 3.4.15

I'm having issues with MMEdit refusing to talk to com ports greater then COM4.

In Windows Device Manager, I can right-click the MM serial port, and it is on COM7, but when I select that in MMEdit, MMEdit falls over with the message "A device attached to the system is malfunctioning."

Interestingly, I don't have 7 virtual COM ports - I am only using ONE. I also have a native COM1 port, which is a 9-pin serial port - the "Real" one.

However, the MM expects USB, but the system won't allow me to assign the MM COM port to less then COM7 - when you go into Device Manager, and try to assign a new COM port number, COM1-COM6 are all labelled as "(in use)".

That is bollocks.
I definitely have the native COM1 - no doubt about that, but the only other COM port in use is the MM's USB.

I have a feeling I know what has happened - over the months, I have plugged in various things including MM, uM, WW's 44 uM module, other USB-serial devices etc. My GUESS is that Windows has assigned a new COM port number for each of these things, if each new one used a different chipset. This now means I have COM2-COM6 that are not actually assigned to anything at the moment, but are "Reserved" for want of a better term, for when Windows sees that I have plugged one of those old devices back in.

That's my interpretation of things anyway.

So, the question remains: Should MMEdit care about COM port numbers? I know for a fact that MMEdit never had any issues with COM ports 1-4.Edited by Grogster 2014-09-05
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 01:25pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have comm ports over 58 and MMEdit recognises and works with them no problems.

Peter
The only Konstant is Change

palcal

Guru

Posted: 01:30pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

When I connect it is always on Comm 10 and works fine.
Paul.

Edit In MM Edit file/configure maximite comm ports can be selected up to #64Edited by palcal 2014-09-05
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:02pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cool, thanks very much for the feedback, guys - must me something at my end - obviously not MMEdit's problem - I will continue my investigation.....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:10pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, found that MMEdit COM port setting was maximum COM5, which I thought would fix everything, but it does not.

What happens now, is that I DON'T get the message like before, I can connect to the MM on COM7 now, I can change to the working directory, but now I can't transfer anything to the SD card - just keep getting "Failed to start" messages in the MM filemaster window.

MMEdit is also not closing the port in these situations - I seem to recall seeing this bug before though, so I am pretty sure it is known about - this only seems to happen, if MMEdit can't send the code to the MM - it seems to leave the port open following that "Failed to start" message - COM7 no longer shows as valid.

Close MMEdit, restart, and I can select COM7 again.

The investigation continues.Edited by Grogster 2014-09-06

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:20pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, "Failed to start" fixed - would not start sending the program, cos MM was still waiting for a keypress to finish showing the files in that directory.

Everything looks right in MMEdit, but when you go back to the actual MM, it is sitting there waiting for you to press any key to finish the files list.

I press space a few times to finish that, then go back to MMEdit, and the file transfer works.

I guess this only shows itself, if you have more then a screen-page of files to list, once you change to a directory?

I did try moving the slider-bar in the MMEdit window right down, to show all the files, but this does not get around the problem until I actually space to the end of the files list using the MM itself.

In any event, at least I can move files to the MM now.

I will make a new directory, and start transferring to there, as then there won't be any prompts to show more filenames from the MM.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 03:22pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMEdit can use com ports up to com64.
It doesn't care if it's a USB_serial converter or an old fashoned com port.
As long as Windows is happy, MMEdit should be happy.

If you want to find available com ports, use File/Configure Maximite/Find Ports.
This will list the com ports that "might" be your maximite. It will also find modems etc.

If you are using a Maximite, the baud rate is not important. Micromites need the correct baud rate.

If MMEdit has problems with a port, you will need to close the Chat/File Manager windows and possibly (but not likely) MMEdit.
This is due to the way that Windows likes to hang on to the serial ports. You would have the same problem with TeraTerm etc.

I am in the process of changing the port selection on MMEdit but the changes will not help here.
I will have the last 10 port settings remembered so it is easier to swap between Maximites and Micromites with different USB-TTL adapters.
There will also be TCPIP options available for remote devices.

This update doesn't have the new features but there a a few timing changes to help 'load and run' on the Maximite. The changes might help you current problems.
2014-09-05_012137_MMedit.zip

I will try to replicate the file listing problem here.
MM Basic lists the files a page at a time and MMEdit looks for the 'press any key to continue' to know when the request the next page. There might have been a subtle change in the wording that has caught me out.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:50pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think that the problem was not waiting long enough for the file list to arrive.
This is something that I need to address ready for TCPIP connections which can be very slow.

Grogster,
Try this update. I have changed the way I wait for the file data to arrive and I think it will fix your problem.

Please ignore the "Connect" menu. It doesn't do anything yet but if you select one of the items all your beer will boil instantly. The question is, Which item?
2014-09-05_075029_MMedit.zip

The version number is still 3.4.19

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:07pm 04 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, Jim - will check it out soon.

Quote  ...all your beer will boil instantly.

Ouch!

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024