Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:34 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MicroMite Companion kit...

Page 1 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:12pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My kit of parts arrived this morning from the United States - thanks guys!

Very nicely packaged, all components in static-sheild bags, IC sockets in foamy stuff to protect pins from getting bent in transit etc, and a very nice looking PCB.

The only thing missing, was any kind of documentation, but then - I can get that from the web easy enough, and the PCB itself has a weblink on it, so I guess that is OK.

NOT A COMPLAINT - just would have been nice if there was a little bit of paper to point you to the website for documents and other useful information. As I say - not a complaint though, just curious why that was not there.

I have managed to clean my workbench at the weekend, so I have some space, so I will start assembling this beast tonight.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 03:09pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paper is so passe'

micronut

Posted: 03:18pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree Grogster. I knew where to go and I actually had my Kindle Fire nearby to look at the website. That made me a little nervous having the Kindle by the soldering iron. I usually print the website out but my printer wasn't cooperating.

I would also like to see a schematic since that makes tracking problems easier.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:22pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ hitsware - LOL! , Well, maybe. But still....

@ micronut - As I say - not a complaint, I just found it curious that there was no printed material at all with the kit, as most kit's always have the documentation with them.

However - not a problem. My printer is working, so I will put it to work on the website later!

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ hitsware - LOL! , Well, maybe. But still....

That reminds me of when I first bought a sound card ( SB ? }
I asked the salesguy where was the manual and he didn't know
what I ment ......

micronut

Posted: 04:45pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

After a little thought on this I think you are right that a sheet with a reference to the link of how to do it would be great. To have all the instructions would cause the shipping to be more and I believe OBC is trying to get costs down.

As for kits with documentation: I bought a Velleman kit and it only has a link to the site on how to to do it and their site only said to solder parts in the order as listed on their site. OBC's site is much better. Also most Parallax parts I get have a label stating that I go to their website put in the part number on the label in a search box to get any documentation.

The worst website reference was when I got an answering machine once with no documentation, only a link to a website. I went to the website and they had a download but I had to purchase the e-manual for $5! I never bought from that company again!

My favorite use of a website for documentation was when computers used phone modems. One phone modem said if you had any problems with connecting to the internet go to their website for more info

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:08pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that update, but let me be very clear - I was not criticizing your product, it was just an eyebrow raiser for me, as I guess my brain "Expected" some kind of printed matter!

It's all good, and not a problem.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:26pm 21 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  My favorite use of a website for documentation was when computers used phone modems. One phone modem said if you had any problems with connecting to the internet go to their website for more info

Very much like my old PC running XP if the keyboard is not connected at start-up it gives me a 'Keyboard Error' and tells me to press any key to continue.

Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Oldbitcollector

Posted: 05:00am 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm really pleased to see the kits are safely arriving on that side of the pond!

The choice of offering the instructions and the like as a "webpage" allows us to keep the costs of the kit as low as possible. Even more, I've discovered that a string of forum threads where each entry is a step is a great way to control and update the information if anyone has difficulty. (Note the builder tips.) We can do things with the forum version of the instructions we could never do with paper, and provide fast support while we are doing it.

I'd also like to invite MMC builders to join up on the forums while you are scrolling through the build materials. I'd be downright honoured to have a couple more of you brainy MMBASIC guys on the Propellerpowered forums. A bunch of us over here know our Propeller well enough, but we are still novice users when it comes to the Micromite BASIC itself. :)

Jeff

My Propeller/Micromite mini-computer project.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:38pm 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just had a quick hunt around YOUR forums, and found some very nice assembly instructions indeed here.

These instructions look superb.

Perhaps just a simple bit of paper in your kits, directing kit builders to this thread location? You could print the same note & link several times on one single sheet of paper, then slice up the paper and put one in each kit.

Oldbitcollector

Posted: 01:14pm 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like that idea.. Actually, I'm thinking one better..

We'll pick up another batch of stickers (in sheets) and setup some identification details along with an assembly URL.

akashh

Posted: 03:21pm 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Very much like my old PC running XP if the keyboard is not connected at start-up it gives me a 'Keyboard Error' and tells me to press any key to continue.

Although this isn't a tech joke, this actually happened to me the other day: I went to a bar with a bunch of friends the other day and we were missing a few chairs at the table. I went over to the waiter and told him we needed a couple of chairs and he said "yes sir I will bring them to you soon, please sit down and wait"...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:48pm 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"Keyboard error. Press any key to continue..."

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 04:05pm 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said   "Keyboard error. Press any key to continue..."

Darn Any key!!!! I still can't find it after all these years! How am I suppose to press it, when it isn't even on the keyboard.

Will a "after market" add-on Any key work?
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:11pm 22 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

"To start, press any key. Where's the any key?!" - Homer Simposon.

Sorry - I digress......

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:29pm 01 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster,

Have you managed to build your MMC yet (or are you still looking for the 'Any Key')?
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:00pm 02 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ha,ha,ha,ha!

I have not managed to build it yet - it is sitting here waiting on me, but I just never seem to find the time - I will make an effort this weekend, as the weather is supposed to be horrible, so ideal indoor work.

Oldbitcollector

Posted: 06:24pm 06 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

In way of encouragement for those who haven't built it yet..

Here's a video update of the "tile detection" routines added to mode 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJOGulKxGUI

This was a critical item to being able to write platform style games.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 06:40pm 06 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I seriously need to clean up my desk.....

Not enough room and not enough hours in the day.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:31pm 06 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Oldbitcollector

Just woke up and seen your latest video. I was never really into computer games BUT now I think I will be

Excellent addition to an already excellent product.

Whats next? . . . . .
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024