Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:22 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : FRAM chips...

Page 1 of 2    
Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:50pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I read in another thread about FRAM chips now being used as replacements for EEPROM memory chips.

These things look very interesting from a speed point of view, but also not having to poll the device or wait for page writes, as all data written to them in any amount is instant - very curious, and also allows for much easier coding, cos you don't have to watch that page boundry anymore.

Does anyone here use any FRAM chips in their projects?

The ones I found on element 14 are Ramtron 16Kbit ones(2KB), but there are other capacities.

Prices seem quite cheap, with the 16Kb one being sold for $2 at element 14.
Wikipedia mentions that FRAM has disadvantages such as higher cost, relatively low storage capacity etc.

However, the writability of these chips is very impressive indeed - just the fact that you don't ever have to worry about page boundries again is enough to make me want to use them. But lower power consumption, very fast operation up to 1MHz, read/write endurance of 100 trillion times, and data retention for up to 150 years is also extremely impressive.

I note that the Ramtrom parts don't allow you to set a slave address for I2C though - it is preset to 1010 + word-address for the command byte, meaning you can only ever have one FRAM of this type on the I2C bus, which is a little limiting, IMHO.

Comments?
Thoughts?
Opinions?Edited by Grogster 2014-09-26
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:27pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Still reading my way through the datasheet.

Quote  Endurance can be optimized by ensuring frequently accessed data is located in different rows. Regardless, FRAM read and write endurance is effectively unlimited at the 1MHz I2C speed. Even at 3000 accesses per second to the same row, 10 years time will elapse before 1 trillion endurance cycles occur.

Wow..........

EDIT: The 64Kb(8KB) and 256Kb(32KB) flavours of this chip do have the standard address pins A0,A1,A2 on pins 1, 2 and 3 of the chip. Must just be the wee fella that does not let you set a slave address for some reason....Edited by Grogster 2014-09-26

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:39pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For the 'eagle-eyed' out there, you will know I have mentioned FRAMs on several posts.

I have used them in designs and they are BRILLIANT. Do a search on any major supplier (RS, Mouser, Farnel/Element14 etc) and you will see various parts/sizes.

If using for a MicroMite then the only word of caution I have is make sure it is a 3V3 part (some are 5v only which is ok BUT not if you only use 3v3).

Glad I'm sparking interest in these finally
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:43pm 24 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh, WW - you have created a bonfire of interest for me.

My weapon of choice in this department so far is the FM24W256-G, which is a 256Kb(32KB) FRAM chip, for about $7 in our money.

I can understand why they only offer these in non-DIL packages - they have such excellent specs, there should be no need to use DIL or socketed type memory.

I guess if push came to shove, you can get that ChipQuik stuff to unsolder chips.
SOIC 8-pin would be no problem at all, if proved to be the cause........

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:42am 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@grogster Note that the FM24W256-G is a 5v part! Not tried a 5v FRAM on a 3v3 circuit but there is probably operational issues if trying to run it at 3v3 only.

Go for a 3v3 part and you have a 100$ working solution

WW

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:52am 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Grogster: Check this one out:-FM31L278-G

32Kx8, I2C, 2v7-3v6. Works nicely with a MicroMite (if you need that much storage!)

There is a massive 1Mbit FRAM (128Kx8): FM20L08-60-TG. It is a Parallel FRAM, 3.3V, in a 32-Pin TSOP-1 case. Costs a bit; but if you need the capacity . . . .

WW

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:43pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Datasheet for the device says on page 9, that voltage range is 2.7v through to 5.5v, with 3v3 being typical....

The device expects a two-byte word for the memory address.

Assuming that you knew the decimal address, how would you break up that number into two variables representing the MSB and LSB?

Lets say I wanted to write or read from address 25,000, and I have a variable A=25000

What would be the formula for taking a larger number like this, and splitting it into the two bytes I need to address the FRAM with?Edited by Grogster 2014-09-26

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 01:25pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

provided that your starting number is small enough to fit in 16 bits;

a= 25000

loByte= a MOD 256
hiByte = a\256

PRINT a, loByte, hiByte

number = hiByte*256 + loByte

PRINT number

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

frackers

Posted: 01:35pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I used an fm25640 some 12 years ago in a project - it worked really well.

I was using it more as a RAM expander than for its non-volatile attributes but I still have all in the info here

Great project if you understand AVR assembler

Edited by frackers 2014-09-26
Robin down under - or are you up over

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:06pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Jim - I end up with different numbers. Am I doing something wrong?

@ frackers - thanks for the link - I will read it.

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@grog

you have to use \ ie integer divide NOT /

ie MSB = A \ 256

Peter
The only Konstant is Change

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:37pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - Thank you very much!

That works fine - my mistake!

vasi

Guru

Posted: 02:52pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Now I'm thinking at Gill's anemometer logger...
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

centrex

Guru

Posted: 10:56pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster, WhiteWizard, others

The Fram chips interest me to use with TassyJims BMP085 software which works very well on BigMicks MuP board.
I would like to be able to record the information for later retrieval, but and it is a BIG but I have no idea how to use the chip for this purpose other than it is I2C. Writing the code to save the data and then being able to access at some future date is beyond me.
The 3.3 volt FRAM that WhiteWizard mentiond is about $17 here in Aus. Making a pcb to hold the chip and connecting to the MuP is not a problem.

It is the code that is my problem any help would be appreciated.

It would probably help the rocket poster also.

Regards Cliff
Cliff

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:11pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cliff,

I would love to write some example code but I am out today and tomorrow. I will have a look at it at the start of next week BUT Grogster maybe able to come up with something for you.

I have several FRAMs next to me (still in anti-static packaging) so it will take a couple of days to fire up a PCB and some code.
What timescales do you have? If not too urgent then should have something for you next week.

Out of interest - how much storage capacity do you think you require?

WW

centrex

Guru

Posted: 11:33pm 25 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi WhiteWizard
Terrific, no real time scale, I have to get one of the chips which could take a week or more and build a pcb.
Am I right in that the FRAM you suggested FM31L278G also has a real time clock imbedded.

I just think this device with the MuP would make a great data logger and if it has the RTC all the better for time stamping.
As far as capacity that is something that I would have to be guided by you, for instance say I was using TassyJims software to give sea level barometric pressure and a date stamp.

Many thanks
Cliff
Cliff

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:05am 26 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cliff,

Yes, the FM31L278G does have an RTC included but that isn't why I recommended it (mentioned purely for the 1Mbit capacity). However, that said, it may be possible to utilise it for Time/Date stamping BUT it probably won't work with MMBasic's inbuilt RTC SETTIME/GETTIME commands. It should be easy enough though to write your own functions to perform the same functionality (essentially set/get the Time$ & Date$ values).

I haven't studied Jim's barometric code to see what it is outputting in terms of data volume, but if you say what information you require (i.e barometric pressure + Time & Date); convert this into a number of bytes per record; and then most importantly say how often you want to sample along with the length of time between 'downloads'.
This will dictate a capacity which I then recommend doubling to allow for 'expansion'.

Let us know the frequency of samples you think you require (i.e. once every 10 seconds, etc) and also the duration between downloads (i.e time between each 'extraction' of data; i.e. once a week).

Finally, give us your best 'guesstimate' as to how many bytes each pressure reading takes (like I say, I haven't looked at Jim's code - sorry if the answer is in there!).

Will be happy to make you a FRAM module if you so wish - I'm sure others could use this too.
(I was designing one about three months ago but other priorities took over)

WW

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 12:57am 26 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Cliff, All,

centrex said  
The 3.3 volt FRAM that WhiteWizard mentiond is about $17 here in Aus. Making a pcb to hold the chip and connecting to the MuP is not a problem.

If you can use the fm32l278 instead RS Components list these as $9.05 ea Plus GST but they offer free next day delivery for ONLINE orders.

I had a quick look at the data and they seem to be the same but have no XTAL facility.. I dont know off hand if that is good or bad.

RS Components Link

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 02:13am 26 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick,

Do you fancy spinning up a MuP-FRAM. I reckon it would have a lot of interest as a logger board for the MuP.
Include a DS18B20 option (with resistor) for use as temp logger too.

Just an idea . . . . .

WW

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:27am 26 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said  
Do you fancy spinning up a MuP-FRAM. I reckon it would have a lot of interest as a logger board for the MuP.

Hi Phil,

The thought for a `sensor' board has been in the back of my mind but at the moment there are two things in the way.

The first is time as this is now the busiest time for my working year with Melbourne's Spring Racing Carnival getting in the way of just about everything.. In just 1 week we will be fully into it with 90+ hour weeks this wont let up till mid November where it dies away pretty rapidly (for a few weeks) till the SUMMER season starts..

The other is funds.. At this stage I have to keep new boards down a bit as apart from MuP, which has been an overwhelming success, none of my other boards are doing much and are running at a loss.. Not that this is a big deal as we dont talk huge amounts here but each board costs $60 - $100 plus or minus to get a run of 50 done and I am really doing it for the fun and to get some stock for myself so I am not complaining.

As you can see even that little 15mm square jobbie I was playing with would cost 50c each buying 150 of them which I doubt I would ever move.. I have been looking at other options and most of the cheap FAB houses have restrictions on panelising the boards.. You can get 16 of these on a single 10cm square board.. Most either wont allow panelising or limit to about 5 per panel.

I am always interested in doing a board for someone if they wish.. HallDave was instrumental in getting 2 of my boards going and we struck a deal we were both happy with.

Anyway I will be interested but I cannot promise anything at this very moment.

Ideas are always welcome.

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Page 1 of 2    
Print this page
© JAQ Software 2024