Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:32 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : (uM)Second i2c Buss on a uMite Slave

redrok

Posted: 05:21pm 27 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am a newbie to the uMite, about 2 weeks.
I've been experimenting with using expander chips.
I use standard plug boards and raw MX150 28pin DIPs programmed with uM4.5C.
Everything works wonderfully. I've driven a number of i2c devices with this including several uMite slaves.

OK, here is the problem I would like to solve.
I want each slave to drive its own "Private" i2c devices.
Why, because I'm experimenting with at least 30 feet between the master and the several slaves. I've done this before on the Parallax Propeller with a slow clock speed.
However, I don't want the expanders on this slow i2c buss.

Does anyone have any code written in uMBasic that can implement a second i2c buss?
This second i2c buss will probably be the master to slave connection with the standard i2c buss driving the local chips at full speed.

Ok ok, I probably should use the IEEE 485 interface for the master/save connection.
But I had to ask.

Thanks for a very cool floating point basic implementation. I love it!!!!!!

redrokEdited by redrok 2014-09-29

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 27 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Redrok,

Welcome to the TBS (The Back Shed) forum,

As far as I am aware the MicroMite only supports 1 channel, I am not aware of anyone trying to `emulate' I2C via MMBasic..

You might be better off trying to use SPI comms for the communication between your remote modules, leaving the I2C for the `local' stuff.

See page 66 on the uMite manual

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 12:50am 28 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have the same wish for a second i2c. The 150 does have a second i2c peripheral, it is however not available from MMBasic. Memory constraints (150 chip) and also the software routine written by someone else in C is capable of one i2c.
I am not good enough with the pic32 yet to help out with enabling that second port.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 08:31am 28 Sep 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Redrok,

I think it should be possible to implement software-I2C-Interfaces - but I have no time for it...
The Basic-Stamp-1 hasn't a hardware I2C Interface, but it gave I2C-routines to implement it.

One of this routines can be found in the book "Basic Stamp: An Introduction to Microcontrollers" from Claus Kuhnel
(you can found a Google-online version here )

It should be possible to convert this routines in MMBasic...

Frank

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024