Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:44 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : GPS unit

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 10:21am 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

White Wizard wrote...

Quote  @viscomjim
uBlox Max7 (or the newer model 8) are my preferred choice of GPS module for two main reasons:
1> they work well indoors with an active antenna (chip antenna would need locating next to a window so I use the active antenna every time indoors)
2> as edu001 says, they pull next to no power for receiving GPS data i.e. below 10mA

Price of these high quality units are about £30 + about £10 for an active antenna.

I am going to be adding these to the website very soon - I do have some in stock (PM me if you want to get one rather than wait for me to add to website!)

WW

I need to use a gps module with uMite but the whole thing has to be in a waterproof box that will be mounted to a piece of heavy equipment for tracking purposes. Do the uBlox units that are mentioned above have the ability to use an antenna like this one that can be mounted elsewhere on the vehicle? If not can you recommend any units like that?

Also, there seems to be a whole bunch of gps units out there (cheap) that seem to be used for quadcopters and the like. Any experience with those and uMite?

Thanks to all!!!

Edited by viscomjim 2014-10-16

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:16am 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,
I have used the EM-408 from deal extreme (about a$15) they are RS232 not TTL so I use a converter also from DX. They also sell an antenna for about A$5. I have 5 of these and have had no problems. I have one working indoors under a metal roof but it is only running a clock, to get Lat. and Lon. data I need to put it near the window.
I also just bought a V.KEL VK16HX unit off Ebay for $13 that seems to work ok but no provision for ext. antenna.
Paul.Edited by palcal 2014-10-16
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 11:44am 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul, thanks for that info. I was going to look at the V.KEL unit for messing around due to the excellent price.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:05pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,

Yes, the uBlox is able to use an 'external' active antenna like that in your post.

Any 'cheap' GPS can be made to work with a MicroMite. However, many of you know about my thoughts about 'cheap' units.

Consider the following three 'requirements':
1> QUALITY
2> RELIABILITY
3> LOW COST

Now accept that you can only have no more than two out of the three above requirements met - you decide which two are most 'acceptable' for your needs!

As mentioned previously, the uBlox modules also offer a very acceptable current draw - this is a huge advantage in tracking systems (I wish these were available to me during my 12years experience in designing global asset tracking systems).

I have used EM408s with great success but I am now 'converted' to the uBlox range.

All the above is just my point of view based on practical experiences - hope it helps . . .
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 12:07pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi White, can you post a link for the device you are talking about. I want to do some homework before buying one. I can't find any ublox units that have that external antenna capability.

Thanks!!!

plasma
Guru

Posted: 12:44pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

viscomjim : beware the cheap ublox from ebay !
some friends and myself have no luck with , all (3 from diff.vendors) are buggy or find my position near a town in mexico. :) really no joke
gtx

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 12:56pm 15 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Plasma, I will stay away from them completely. No point in starting out with first gps and it winds up being a piece of #$%@. I was looking also at the one that adafruit sells, but the one WW is talking about sounds good due to low power consumption. The unit I will be making will be battery powered for a while so power is a concern.

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 04:15pm 17 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all, I have been warned about cheap Chinese products, and have been there, done that and fully understand when and where not to use these. I am on the hunt for a decent gps module for a few days now. After reading the high altitude balloon thread, I was intrigued about the low current requirement of the "uBlox" gps module used in that project.

WW says...

Quote  As mentioned previously, the uBlox modules also offer a very acceptable current draw - this is a huge advantage in tracking systems (I wish these were available to me during my 12years experience in designing global asset tracking systems).

I would like to find this uBlox module that is referenced above. But it seems that over here in the U.S. this is not readily available. I thought that I was a good googleizer (zoolander reference), but, I cannot find this unit anywhere over here. I am getting ready to use the adafruit ultimate gps module to satisfy my over zealous client, but it draws a bit more current than the uBlox module described here.

What exactly I am looking for is low current draw like WW has mentioned, decent price and availability, and external active antenna as this unit will be used in an exterior environment. The actual gps unit will be encased, hence the external active antenna.

If anyone knows of this elusive ublox 7max (or 8) gps module, available in the US, PLEASE give me a link. I am really getting desperate now. I really do appreciate any and all info from this forum!!!!

Edited by viscomjim 2014-10-19

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:12am 18 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

TRYING TO FIX LINKS
THE LINKS KEEP 'BREAKING' - DON'T KNOW WHY.

SPACES GET ADDED WHEN UPDATING POST. HOPEFULLY THEY GIVE YOU A CLUE AS TO WHAT TO SEARCH FOR.

WILL RAISE WITH ADMIN ABOUT THE INABILITY TO PLACE THESE LINKS CORRECTLY WITHOUT THEM GETTING CONTINUALLY CORRUPTED

For an overview of the uBlox7 copy & paste:
http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/MAX-7_Da taSheet_(GPS.G7-HW-12012).pdf
remove the space in 'Da taSheet'

For the protocol spec; copy & paste this link (if you fancy the real detail!)
http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/u-blox7- V14_ReceiverDescriptionProtocolSpec_Public_(GPS.G7-SW-12001) .pdf
remove the TWO spaces (one before V14, the other before .pdf)

I am now stocking the uBlox 8 on a breakout board (PM me as not yet on website). See below for what it looks like (the picture shows a 7, but the 8 is a drop in replacement):

You can use various serial connection methods to simplify communications with it. I will retail the BoB at £30 each. Note: it also has provision to drive an active antenna so I will also be stocking an active antenna for £10 (but these are readily available on the internet if you can source locally).

I can't comment about a US supplier of the uBlox module (and what their Minimum Order Quantities (MoQs) may be). I have a UK supplier that places the MoQ of 500 and then sells them individually.

Let me know if you want me to rush you a BoB - I can ship on Monday morning if you like.

WW

Edited by WhiteWizzard 2014-10-19

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:50pm 18 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

THIS IS FOR GLENN'S USE (i.e. Gizmo)

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:02pm 18 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

See my PM. Problem is the ( & ) characters in the URL. The forum software is removing these when it creates the link for security reasons. Same applies to characters like < & >, they are used in scripting languages for hacking attempts.

Sorry but the reason this forum has never been hacked is because of these painful security measures, so I wont be removing them. Unfortunately in this case u-blox have used the ( & ) characters in a PDF file name, which isn't good practice. Any url should be kept clean, special characters ( especially . ? & / ) cause all sorts of problems.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024