Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:38 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : uMite vs mini MaxMite

samuelT

Posted: 07:29am 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hello:

I am new and am deciding which Mite to start with.

q1) Does the mini-MaxiMite have more software capabilities than the uMite 170?

q2) If i were to use the mini-MaxiMite, can I use the VGA and other special purpose
ports as regular digital I/O?

q3) I see the newer post are with regard to the uMite so should i not be looking
at the mini-MaxiMite to begin my adventure.

q4) Does any one do development with a MAC and if so what terminal emulator is used?

Thank you much for you patience.
samT

plasma
Guru

Posted: 07:58am 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

i use vmware in osx or an old laptop with xp.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:24am 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am secretly hoping for a MicroMite based on the MX795. :)
With 6 comports, 4 SPI's, 5 I2C's etc... massive amounts of memory, USB...... :)
I think it would kill anything on the market.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:22am 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. The original Maximite was designed as a small computer similar to those of the early 1980s. The mini Maximite was a smaller version that could be built with or without the SD card, keyboard and video so could be used as an embedded controller.
The Micromite is really designed to be an embedded controller, you program it use it in a project and there it stays.
Have you been to Geoff's web site.Here
Paul.
Edit. Sorry the link doesn't work properly but it will get you there.Edited by palcal 2014-10-22
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 11:39am 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The micromite is low power low parts count designed for imbedding in your project.

The Maximite has the VGA/composite, crystal controlled for better timing, designed as a stand-alone with your sensors/interface added as needed.

The maximites are easily upgraded, the micromite needs more effort to upgrade but there has been a lot of work done by members of the forum to make it easier (and cheaper).

The maximite has storage, the micromite doesn't.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 04:17pm 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Oh... And welcome to the Forum Sam..!

There is a nice group of really smart people here... Enjoy..!

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 06:44pm 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

why does someone not resurrect the mini-maximite? an 'extra wide' package similar in appearance to the 44-pin DIP PCB being produced for the 44-pin micromite, with SD card socket at one end and pin-headers for VGA and PS/2 keyboard at the other. in between two rows of pins down the long sides bring out all the I/O pins.

as i recall, the big killer for the mini maximite was the high cost of the kit. but as a cheap blank PCB it might be more attractive today.

just my 2 cents worth,
rob :-)

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:02pm 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said   why does someone not resurrect the mini-maximite? an 'extra wide' package similar in appearance to the 44-pin DIP PCB being produced for the 44-pin micromite, with SD card socket at one end and pin-headers for VGA and PS/2 keyboard at the other. in between two rows of pins down the long sides bring out all the I/O pins.

as i recall, the big killer for the mini maximite was the high cost of the kit. but as a cheap blank PCB it might be more attractive today.

just my 2 cents worth,

. . . . be patient - something coming

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 09:22pm 21 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

robert.rozee said   why does someone not resurrect the mini-maximite? an 'extra wide' package similar in appearance to the 44-pin DIP PCB being produced for the 44-pin micromite, with SD card socket at one end and pin-headers for VGA and PS/2 keyboard at the other. in between two rows of pins down the long sides bring out all the I/O pins.

just my 2 cents worth,

That exists for 1.5 years now. See ICeemite and DEB2-1001W68. Of course some people are acting the emu way putting their heads in the sand, but that does not change the fact it is out there

http://rittle.org

--------------

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024