Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:37 06 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Any interest in a uMite version of this?

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:56am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quick post to say this cool little (Arduino) gadget has just been launched here in UK.

I've had my eye on it when I learnt about it as a KickStarter project.

Should we collectively have a go at a MicroMite version??

Thoughts please . . .

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:14am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A tiny umite with an OLED attached?

Dunno. $40 for the Arduino one looks a lot but maybe it's not?

John

plasma
Guru

Posted: 02:45am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

why not write a lib for these really cheap lcd modules from ebay?
or using a extra cpu (propeller maybe) as a driver for and connect it over i2c or other?

i mean this little thing looks great but it is not really cheap.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 03:00am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I actually have a need for that and have something in the works.
I only have to settle for a specific oled/lcd screen.
Mine has to be used in a vehicle and needs some buttons and led indicators on the edges.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

plasma
Guru

Posted: 03:07am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

http://www.ebay.de/itm/131226677199 cheap modul

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 03:10am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@plasma, this is not just a tiny OLED, it is a complete arduino with an OLED for 'feedback'.

So Im suggesting a 28pin SMD MX MicroMite with an OLED (+ any thing else that could fit in a small enclosure) Edited by WhiteWizzard 2014-10-25

plasma
Guru

Posted: 03:16am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

yap you are right .

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 03:41am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said  
So Im suggesting a 28pin SMD .......

Eventually you will end up at the same place where I have been for the past two years. No drama, you won't be the first one nor probably the last (yay, more cheers coming for another board!)
If you hope to pull a kickstarter project with the support of these 10-15 ageing 'hardcore' members from this forum... well, you know your stuff best.
The display changes nothing in this picture.

http://rittle.org

--------------

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:08am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@kiiid,

Not really understanding your post.

Let me clarify things for you:

1: The module I'm proposing is a MicroMite with a built-in OLED display; hence a self contained useful module (maybe)
2: I am NOT suggesting a KickStarter project; with or without as you refer '10-15 ageing hardcore members'

The 28pin SMD suggestion I make is purely for minimum size; and the requirement of just needing a few I/Os.

Not sure what place you are saying I will end up! Have you built a tiny MicroMite module before complete with OLED? - If so, please send a link to it, or any other that exist, as I personally have an immediate requirement.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 04:27am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think i know what Kiiid means.
There is just a tiny market for these things. It can cost a lot of energy and money with little rewards.
Anything arduino sells much better as that is a much larger market.
Nevertheless i like the mites but also have problem making modules that would actually sell. I now most of the time make specific solutions and use the modular things only for development.

I think your business model is the right one. Sell lots of different solutions, of your own and others. That way you have a more diverse selection so that a customer can choose one that fits.

I had a whole range of (single function) modules planned but put most of that on hold as it seems that there is more demand for solutions that have all the components on a single pcb combined.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:36am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi TZA - your 'interpretation' makes sense.

I must admit, I have also halted several developments due to lack of interest.

That said, I do have two new products coming out very soon but I also have to fulfil a top priority commercial project that is taking all my time at the moment (incorporates a MicroMite).

I will monitor stock levels of the Arduino gadget and see how quickly they sell - that will at least indicate a 'demand' level amount Arduino users. I personally think it will sell extremely well - lets see . . . .

WW

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 04:38am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@WW, whatever I have built, even what you have the immediate need for, will not attract any interest here. My rare posts are either to express some opinion (that was the subject in this post, wasn't it?), or to provide information out of courtesy to a tiny fraction of members here. My posts in this forum are usually 'closing' (understand no other comments following).

I was only saying that a kickstarter project requires more than the dedication of the 10-15 hardcore members. The platform is NOT open as you know and apparently will never be. Who else will bet on it considering the fact that it entirely relies on a single developer?

As I said, you know your stuff best, and you have the support of many of these members. You might be able to pull something, but probably not enough to make it to kickstarter. If it is only for the cheers here, I am sure you will have them whatever the result will be.

--------------

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:45am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

kiiid said  . . . You might be able to pull something, but probably not enough to make it to kickstarter.

I am NOT looking at a Kickstarter - why do ypu keep saying this??????

Anyway - matter closed as I have accepted TZAs interpretation of your post.

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 04:49am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Apologies. Probably I have wrongly understood the initial post:
  Quote  I've had my eye on it when I learnt about it as a KickStarter project.
Should we collectively have a go at a MicroMite version??

--------------

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:55am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah; Lou, Zonker, BigMik, Grogster may be the 'crowd' interested in having a collaborative go at this if they were interested too.

Just want to sound out interest in a tiny MicroMite module with an OLED. I will have a go at one sometime early next year - just bringing it to peoples attention.
Was half hoping you had done it already though so that I could meet my immediate requirement! Oh well, more sleepless nights ahead

WW

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 05:02am 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I admit I have not and gradually moving away from the 'mites altogether (reasons above).
I am starting the development of an entirely new concept board these days, though...

--------------

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 07:27pm 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@WW...

I could be your huckleberry... We could mod the DIP 28 pinner design and select a nice OLED top cover unit... But what about the I/O drive for it..? SPI drive maybe... Let's hunt down some units and see what is possible without to much pin loss...

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:38pm 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a whole bunch of small OLED's coming my way.
They are controlled through i2c or SPI.
I am waiting for them to arrive so i can have the exact dimensions and make sure the pcb and connector fits perfectly.
Those pcb edge switches are perfect for my needs as i need to have a few optional buttons around the edge.
The case will be the difficult part but i have a 3d printer/cnc and laser to make some.

So count me in. :)

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:23pm 24 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cheers Zonker, TZA - sounds good.

My thoughts were exactly that - i.e. 'modifying' Zonkers new module. Please remind me of the x,y dimensions (to the nearest 1/10000 of a mm please Zonker with you super accurate ruler and eyes ).

Then TZA will know the dimensions for a potential oled. I like the dual colour OLED where the top 16 pixel rows are yellow, and the remaining are blue.

I would suggest a battery boost circuit so we can run this thing from a rechargeable lithium button cell.
Any thoughts there?

I am also considering buying an industrial laser cutter for a commercial project I am busy working on so Im sure between us we may have the tooling to make a prototype enclosure.

I also have access to a metal printing 3D printer (but at a cost!).

Out of interest, do any of you out there have access to a quality multicolour 3d printer?

WW

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 03:31am 25 Oct 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

That would be awesome.. (3-D printer) to use between us..! I have wanted to create a case that mimics the "old-school" gauges use in airplanes of the past but use micro-servos to drive the needles. I found a website that produces the gauge faces but can't find anyone making the back shells, so I think we could design the shell back with the proper mounts inside for the servo... I don't know much of anything about the 3-D printer stuff but if we could share the resources, I could get back on things like this... What kind of "CAD-ware" would you use to make the models for the printer...? For sure I don't have enough money to get one of these fine gems myself, but would be willing to throw some money at a group effort to get a nice unit that everyone would have access to... (sweet)...

Also, concerning the OLED display, is there any info PDF's on the devices you would want to use..? @TZ - I would like to see some of those SPI based displays you have as the number of I/O's to drive it would be low... Do they have graphic stuff..? With the extra memory of the 170 class MCU's (thanks Geoff!!) we could come up with a small GUI library to drive them and use it to create any type of device we want... (interest peaking ) I have had a look at the 4.3' LCD display from 4-D systems that uses the FTDI chip to drive the display. Now that we have more room for the code to sit in, we could do something with this type of unit also... I'm just not much of a "code guy" like some of the other fine folk here, so we would need the efforts of the whole group to give this one a go... For sure I would be helping with the PCB side of things if you Gent's think we could get something that everyone could agree on...

Hey, let's have more talk and ideas on this..! It sounds cool to me...

Edit: I just got done ordering the Microview... (looks awesome)

Edit: After having a look at the Library for the uView, making one for the uMite will not be a trivial task... If we could write it as a C function load, maybe the commands in a basic program would be easier to use... Not sure about this....
Also, the uView MPU looks like it has way fewer recourses than the uMite... But for a few simple uses as just a display device, should be Ok.... Edited by Zonker 2014-10-27

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024