Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 19:15 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Problems using CFuncGen

jimbotron

Posted: 12:58am 09 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Everyone,
I'm beta testing Geoff's new Micromite MKII and wanted to try out CFunctions but I'm having problems with the CFuncGen that G8JFC has written. The instructions are excellent and clear, but for some reason I cannot get it to work.
I'm OK with creating the sample project in the MPLab X IDE and can get an elf file that looks about the same size as the example.
When I try to use CFuncGen to create the disassembly I can open the elf file, but no functions or code appear.
So far I have tried:
1) A shorter path name for the directory
2) Updating the version of MPLab X (I'm on v 2.25)
3) Updating the compiler to version 1.33, was on 1.31
4) Recreating the project
I'm running Windows 7.
I do get warning messages from Symantec when I try to install CFuncGen, but according to the log it allows the installer to run.
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem or knows what is going wrong.

As this is my first original post, just want to say I've enjoyed reading the forum since the Maximite first came out. This is the first time that I've hit a problem that someone else has not already encountered before me. The Micromite, is so far the most useful incarnation of the Maximite series. It is so cheap and easy to use, I almost went through my tube of PIC150's the first week I got them.

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 02:36am 09 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jimbotron

Sounds like your environment variables may not be set correctly.

Open up a Console (cmd.exe) and take a look at the PATH variable - echo %PATH%. Since U have MPLabX and XC32 installed you should have an entry in PATH such as

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\xc32\v1.31\bin

If NOT, then that is the problem, and you will need to re-install XC32. CFuncGen uses components from XC32 - so if the XC32 bin directory is not in the path, then CFuncGen will not properly execute - I should probably put in more checks and user notifications if CFuncGen cannot find all the XC32 bits needed :)

Also look into the folder where the .ELF file has been generated by XC32, and after running CFuncGen you should find a file with a .DIS extension - again if not, then you probably have the problem with the PATH environment variable.

Please let me know how it goes

Peter

Edited by G8JCF 2014-11-10
The only Konstant is Change

jimbotron

Posted: 03:24am 09 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter,
That was it. I manually added the compiler directory to my user path and it worked straight away.
I also reran the installer and noticed that there is an option to add X32 to the path and it was unchecked. Can't remember if it was this way the first time I ran it.

BTW, I was getting the dis file but it was empty.

Thanks Jim

G8JCF

Guru

Posted: 06:36am 09 Nov 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Great news.

Hope to hear of your CFunction(s) adventures soon

Peter
The only Konstant is Change

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024