Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:50 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Colour Maximite programming problems...

Page 4 of 4    
WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:44am 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs,

Further to my earlier PM's, this is to say your code is still running fine here with the screensaver kicking in; and the time is ticking away - and not a single Watchdog reset (been about eight hours now).

Confirming that there is no resistor pull-up on COM2.

Nice detective work . . . .

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:15pm 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks very much for that feedback, WW.

You can now see the frustration and head-scratching - it works fine on all the boards other then my one, which made me think I had some kind of layout error.

Well, I suppose you could say it was a layout error to some extent, having not installed that 10k pull-up, but I forgot all about it.

All that brain-strain, for a 10c resistor.....

As you know, without the pull-up on your board, it was still working OK.
I guess this is cos your board's COM2 RXD line just is not seeing any jitter or anything that otherwise makes the COM port and MMBASIC think that a byte has arrived, so it just ticks over normally as it should.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 02:56pm 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Likewise with my UBW32 board.
Your program is running happily and that is on the UBW32 without any pullups connected to the serial port.
Stray capacitance etc on your board or possibly, you have a bit of AC being radiated around.
Either way, the pullup will fix it.

An added bonus, The first time I tried to send the file to my board, the com port chucked a wobbly and refuses to work with MMEdit.

I am sure that this is the problem that you and a couple of others have been having with MMEdit atalking to maximites and the VT100 terminal.

None of my maximites can talk to MMEdit anymore but TeraTerm is OK!

A strange problem that might take a few days to sort out. At least I have now seen the problem.

If all else fails, I will write a DLL in PureBasic and use that to talk to the serial ports. I already have one for the TCPIP and I know the serial code for PureBasic doesn't have the problem.

I have been told that today is "Christmas card making day" (bahhhh humbug) so bug finding will have to wait.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:01pm 03 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Many thanks for your testing too, Jim.

This forum is fantastic, with so many people willing to help a person in distress.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and/or help.

I am now running the board for 48 hours or so, interrupting it ever now and again, just as a general test of stability.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Page 4 of 4    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024