Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:41 25 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Question(s) to all DIY-ers

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 02:05am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For a little personal research:

Assuming you need to assemble a board by yourself, what would be your preference:
- for ICs: SOIC 1.27mm pitch or DIP?
- for passives: 1206 or equivalent size through-hole?
- for discrete semi's: SOT23 or TO92?

Thanks!

http://rittle.org

--------------

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 02:10am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Kon,

My preference would definitely be through hole entirely but of course that comes at a cost of PCB real estate.

I could handle either but the smaller the parts and the older I get the harder they get to see.

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

paceman
Guru

Posted: 02:17am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've used all three of those SMD's Kon and don't have any problem with them, they'd be my preference because of the real-estate gain, but either way no problem.

Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:41am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I too have used all those, and all of them are fine by me.

If you are designing a board for other people to assemble, then it is a good rule of thumb to stick to full-size, thru-hole parts that everyone can solder no problems.

If it is a board you are going to supply assembled, then you can please yourself.

As for SMD sizes, I settled on 1206 because 1210 is so big, you might as well use full-size and 0805 is too small for my taste. SOT23 seems tiny when you are new to SMD soldering, but they are just as easy as SOIC to solder. It does come down to personal preference to some extent - whatever works for you.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 05:33am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Through hole only for me

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 08:20am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Kiiid, right now only thru hole, but hopefully when the uMite controlled reflow oven is working, that could very well change to all surface mount. Keeping fingers crossed!

brucepython

Posted: 10:39am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Much as I love the size and tidiness of SMD layouts, due to eyesight and other problems it's thru-hole discrete components all the way with me. Edited by brucepython 2014-12-21

palcal

Guru

Posted: 11:28am 20 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm 71 and at first resisted SMD but now I do all my projects this way. I found it is just a matter of practice and devising ways to hold the components while soldering.
The boards are so much smaller and neater.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

vasi

Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 21 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Wow Paul, what soldering iron are you using?
Hobbit name: Togo Toadfoot of Frogmorton
Elvish name: Mablung Miriel
Beyound Arduino Lang

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 01:12pm 21 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If this was really meant for all DIY-ers. I can only just about cope with full size through hole components.

SMD - no thanks!

Tiny boards so SMD are required - hell no, gimme a bigger board.

John

Gordz

Posted: 07:34pm 21 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have also used all of those smd sizes and considering that you can get 10 good quality double sided pcb at 50mm x 50mm for about US$10.00 I use smd as much as possible. I use a magnifying setup made from a cheap system from Jaycar. If anyone is interested I will post a few pics of my latest version which also has fume extraction. I wear glasses for reading etc. and this works out great for me. The latest Jaycar magnifying glass also has a smaller integrated 'high power' magnification spot.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 10:23pm 21 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday Kon,

If you intend to sell a kit of parts for someone to build, you should keep as much as possible to through hole components.

Taking my MuP as an example. I have two SMD devices (the Vreg needn't be SMD as I also cater for To-92 and To-220 options). but the 47uF cap is SMD...

I offer MuP in several options one is Bare PCB with SMD VReg (SOT23) and SMD Cap (3225 or 1216) presoldered. I set a fee of $3 for the `service' of pre-soldering these as I figured by the time I dug my soldering iron out of the Van and set up with Mag light and soldered the 2 parts that nearly 20min has gone by even though the actual job to solder them takes about 3min. I really didnt believe that there would be many people electing that option as it put the PCB+ presoldered components to $8.. I was wrong, I have sold quite a few of the `Option 3' and I can only surmise that this is because people are scared of SMD soldering, as I was until I tried it for myself. I am now soldering the 0805 SMDs and the 0.65mm pitch SSOP Pic32MX170 without much drama..

By that assessment I believe that you will limit your market if you sell a kit based on SMD components.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by bigmik 2014-12-23
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 11:13am 22 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Big thanks to everyone for the responses. I have now the information that I needed and will design my new board to fit any flavour.
http://rittle.org

--------------

muddy0409

Posted: 03:12pm 22 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said   Hi Kon,

My preference would definitely be through hole entirely but of course that comes at a cost of PCB real estate.

I could handle either but the smaller the parts and the older I get the harder they get to see.

Mick

Yeah,what Mick said!
Don't poo poo conspiracy theories.
Remember that everything ever discovered started somewhere as a theory.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 07:11pm 22 Dec 2014
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Vasi
I just use an ordinary soldering station with a 1mm conical tip and fine solder. I do have a binocular microscope with spring loaded arms that can usually be used to hold the component. The microscope cost abot $120 from the U.S. When I'm using the larger SMDs 0805, 1206, I can get by with a magnifier and 'normally closed' tweezers to hold the components.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024