Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:30 11 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Micromite Editor

helltek

Posted: 08:50pm 05 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What do you guys use to write Micromite program? I fight the TeraTerm but I have some issues.

When the program is longer than 25 lines I can not copy it and save in file. Also I can not load program. Says the clipboard is empty, or it loads some garbage.

I would like to work like any other Windows program (let say Notepad or simlar) to save file to disk and load file from disk, copy and paste, etc.

I'm in the learning stage, so I write and test short routines (kinda library of routines to test and debug).

Am I asking for impossible?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:57pm 05 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim's MMEdit is probably the best.

EDIT: Here is a link...Edited by Grogster 2015-02-07
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

helltek

Posted: 09:13pm 05 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks. I will try it.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 05 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

At the moment, MMEdit is the best software to use (as Grogster says above).

In TT, you can copy and paste code into notepad by using the mouse to highlight your listing, and then use Alt-C to copy it to the clipboard (NOTE: Ctrl-C does not work). Then Ctrl-V (paste) into NotePad.
It is crude, but it works as a kind of file system in TT!!

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 12:06am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It sounds as if you are trying to paste text using Tera Term when you are in the Micromite's editor. That will not work as the editor has a lot of work to do when characters are received and by pasting text you send a lot of text at high speed and this will overwhelm the editor.

MMEdit is great but using Tera Term there are two other ways of getting a program (on your PC) into the Micromite.

You could use the AUTOSAVE command and then paste the text in via Tera Term. That command is designed to take an unlimited amount of text without loosing any of it. Another way is to use the XMODEM RECEIVE command and start an XModem send from within Tera Term (this will send a file).

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

panky

Guru

Posted: 12:41am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

IMHO, Jim's MMEdit is the only way to go! If you have a PC (laptop, whatever) running Windows to talk to the uMite then MMEdit has a wealth of features over using Terraterm.

The built in editor is great and was part of the original Maximite that had the feature of using a screen and ps/2 keyboard and worked a treat. Now that uMite does not support ps/2 keyboard or video out, the use of Terraterm when MMEdit is available is superfluous. Again, for the uMite, with the greatest respect to Geoff, I feel the built in editor is redundant and the space could be better used to support an sd card interface or some other unimplimented feature. Just my humble opinion.

Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

ajkw

Posted: 01:48am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes the editor is great. If anything I would like the editor do colour, ie a different colour for keywords, variables and text.

Not everyone uses Windoz. I might have it (win7) in a Virtualbox but Putty on Linux does a job fine of handling the Micromite.Edited by ajkw 2015-02-07

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:58am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Jim,

Can you comment on progress of your Linux version of MMEdit?

Doug.

PS. Be very happy to provide a little more "beer money" to assist progress
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

ajkw

Posted: 02:18am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I guess we can exclude any os x users then.

For the record, I have used MMedit and it does work fine but on many occasions the built in editor is just the thing also.

helltek

Posted: 04:22am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks to all of you guys. I didn't install the MMEdit yet, but I'm going to. Simple programs like the TeraTerm are fine because there is less to learn, but I'm so used to Copy, Paste, Save, Load, Click, Drag that I get confused when the TeraTerm makes me use arrow keys and only some of them (not the numeric keypad arrows), and I can't save the program I just wrote and debugged, or paste in additional subroutine. That part is frustrating.

Windows terminal should be the interface between communication equipment and Windows, and act like Windows program. Linux program should act like Linux, etc. Most today's gizmos (cellular phones, etc) have really bad user interface. Either the icons are confusing, are in wrong place, or are so small I can't see them. Take this "Post Reply". You can type, edit line, copy, paste, etc. That's how programs should work. You don't lose text you typed.

The Micromite Editor is great. I like it a lot. Lets me test simple things in real time and implement it into program when I'm happy with the way they work. It is great controller for the things in The Back Shed like solar positioning, controlling motors, valves, etc. There is no other micro that let you do calculations on the spot without heavy programming, compiling, plugging, unplugging and testing.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:56am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I like that i can type a line and it is interpreted right away.
I never use the inbuilt editor anymore. I understand it is a feature, but one that is in my opinion totally not necessary in the MicroMite.

With the micromite you HAVE TO connect a computer to be able to program it, might as well use a full featured editor like MMedit or Notepad, Notepad++, VI etc.
An xmodem protocol is all that is needed.

If memory space is limited as it is with the MX150 then drop the editor and put in some other functionality like cfunctions/integers/etc... have a pick. All of them more important for an embedded system chip.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

helltek

Posted: 06:31am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes, that makes the chip great. You type line of code and see it work, but sometimes the one line is not enough and you need several lines of code. If you're good programmer and you don't make typos, you can code of-line. Hell, we used to make websites in Notepad, but better tools gets the job done faster. (Except for current website software that crashes in some browsers and has no page formatting).

The MMEdit with multiple windows popping up is not the greatest either, but the TeraTerm lacks the Load, Save, Copy, Paste, etc. so I have to get used to MMEdit.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 06:50am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TZAdvantage said  With the micromite you HAVE TO connect a computer to be able to program it

Not quite true TZA - you can use Geoff's ASCII Terminal (or BigMiks); or even my new TerMite that is about to be released to the world (complete with uSD file storage and 8" screen)

WW

helltek

Posted: 07:09am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The ASCII terminal is not available (unless you want to build it yourself which means look for parts and start new project).

Give us link to preview your TerMite.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 07:26am 06 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

helltek said  Give us link to preview your TerMite.

I will post something up on MicroMite.org as soon as it is ready - hopefully this will be sometime next week (photos are being taken over the weekend, and the final bits of code being finished to integrate the last few features).

I still have to get PCBs manufactured for it (but all the design work is done). Prototypes have been on test since November.

I won't say any more for now, but I promise it will be a very useful add-on for the MicroMite - and with the MX470 MicroMite currently under Beta Testing - the two products will be a fun 'microcontroller' to play with.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024