Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 09:41 12 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : DuinoMite Basic on a Color MaxiMite ?

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 03:08pm 18 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can it work ?
I would sure like the hardware UART on a Color MaxiMite ....

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 03:42pm 18 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Heard that..!

I am currently working with a 7" 4-D Systems display with many data objects that need constant "feeding" and the 19200 baud hose is getting a workout..! the display unit allows for much higher throughput... I hope the firmware can be changed to support the hardware UART's... I know that in the future Geoff will want to pull some of the features of the MKII project into a possible remix of the big MM's...

We will have to wait and see.. Geoff has a LOT on the plate lately..!!

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 03:59pm 18 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It's the same chip right ? (DuinoMite and MaxiMite)
If so where-which pins go might be awkward ...

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 10:03pm 18 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The PIC32MX795 chip used in the Maximite had fixed I/O pin allocations and that limited what peripherals could be used. The end result was that the hardware serial ports were not available because their I/O pin allocations were used for other features.

The Duinomite got around that by sacrificing some other features which freed up the hardware serial ports. So, it is nothing to do with the firmware but the allocation of I/O pins.

The PIC32MX170 used in the Micromite can remap hardware peripherals to a variety of I/O pins so that issue did not arise in the Micromite.

GeoffEdited by Geoffg 2015-02-20
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 12:05am 19 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

one solution is the philips/npx SC16IS752. this is a bridge that connects to an I2C or SPI bus and provides two uarts on the other side. it comes in a 28-pin TSSOP package. see:

NPX SC16IS752 dual uart

"The SC16IS752 is an I²C-bus/SPI bus interface to a dual-channel high performance UART offering data rates up to 5 Mbit/s, low operating and sleeping current; it also provides the application with 8 additional programmable I/O pins. This chip enables seamless protocol conversion from I²C-bus/SPI to RS-232/RS-485 and is fully bidirectional."

this just happened to be the first device i found using google. i have absolutely no idea about cost or availability. no doubt many other manufacturers made similar devices.

you would need to write your own code to drive the ports, or put a case for drivers to be added to the next release of maximite basic in a similar way that alternative RTCs are being supported.

has anyone considered the idea of designing an expander board that plugs into the arduino connector on a colour maximite, providing hardware serial ports and other stuff?

cheers,
rob :-)Edited by robert.rozee 2015-02-20

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 07:11am 19 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Guys ...
Perhaps my best bet is to break down and
buy a VGA monitor for MicroMite w/ VT100...

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024