Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 15:49 11 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : @Matherp/@Geoff MKII v4.6+

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 01:53am 19 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Matherp and Geoff,

I have read all the posts about connecting TFT/LCD's to a micromite.

I have a few questions about the firmware that you work on for the 470 64/100 pin chip.

Are there any changes made to use the internal peripherals differently?

Would MMBasic code be 100% compatible with the 170mx version, especially when using spi/i2c/serial/IR etc.

Is the code for controlling the TFT/LCD's part of the framework or CFunctions?
(I hope CFunction because that will give more flexibility)

I am asking this because i am currently researching mcu candidates for a new project i have.
I really would like to use MMBasic as it is such a pleasure to program in. The project is really a good match and the only real 'C' speed needed is for the display, but you have already solved that problem.
The project needs to have multiple sizes of screens and has to be available in multiple price ranges. I figured using the 2.4" (IlI9341) and the SSD1963 for the bigger screens would cover a nice range from 2.4" all the way to 8".

The idea at the moment (very preliminary) is to use the 64 pin 170 no additions for the small screen sizes and lowest price, and use a 64 pin 470 with SD, USB, IR, RTC, RS485, RF24L01+ and FRAM for the most expensive. (Still figuring out if the 64 pin 170 and 470 have the same pinout,that would allow the use of a single pcb design.)

Do you have a final pin layout or is this something that has not settle down yet?
I sometimes see mentioning of a 18 bits bus, does that give you more colors as most screens have a 64/256K colors in the datasheet.

I know SD and USB is not part of MMBasic, i would like to reserve those pins just in case and one of the requirements is that it can be powered/charged from a USB port.

I am under a NDA so i can not really reveal what the project is about, buit i am free to discuss hardware and software as long as the 'goal' is not mentioned. It will be a very versatile unit that can be used for Iot, embedded projects and as a part of something bigger. :)
The extra challenge is to hookup about 100 of them to a RS485 bus.

The hardware & software will be under my development control and i am allowed/encouraged to publish it as open source after the project has been done. I might even team up with them, to soon to tell. :)

Thank you for doing all the great work!
Edited by TZAdvantage 2015-02-20
Microblocks. Build with logic.

matherp
Guru

Posted: 02:06am 19 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Are there any changes made to use the internal peripherals differently?

I haven't changed Geoff's code, just the tables that define the pins, except for handling the special case of CPU 96 where the peripheral bus operates with a wait state

Quote  Would MMBasic code be 100% compatible with the 170mx version, especially when using spi/i2c/serial/IR etc.

Yes - other than pin numbers, same as for 28 vs 44 pin 170s and assuming you don't use the second SPI port that the 470 supports or use CPU speeds above 48MHz

Quote  Is the code for controlling the TFT/LCD's part of the framework or CFunctions?

Cfunctions other than the standard text LCD support that is in the 170

Quote  Do you have a final pin layout or is this something that has not settle down yet?

It is final unless testing finds a problem. The current pin layout is a compromise between the ideal and overcoming Microchip silicon errata.

You will need to wait Geoff's comments on how he would look to implement SD. At the moment the 470 firmware makes all pins available to the user including giving Basic access to the second SPI port which Geoff may want to use for SD access. USB pins are completely dedicated so these cannot change and don't affect anything else.Edited by matherp 2015-02-20

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 03:35am 19 Feb 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks a lot for the quick answers. It looks like the 470 will be a very good choice.
I need to start with a schematic anyway so when that is finished and approved (Especially the BOM, and the estimated price) a few weeks will pass. Moving some pins around will only be a problem once the pcb design is final, and that will be at its earliest around april/may.

Any news about the second i2c port and RF24L01 support as it was mentioned some time ago. Those are not essential but can be important to know for reserving those pins.
I would like to connect a RF24L01 or the current Wifi module. Those can be made to work from basic/cfunctions so it is not critical that it is part of the framework. Thosde modules also need spi/i2c/serial and allocating pins would have to be done.
The flexibility of the 470 to assign pins to peripherals is great, most of the time that is very helpful when designing a pcb. Moving a few pins can make really make the difference.
Would it be good if the pin mappings are studied before they are commited in the software tables. I could do a trial pcb to see if it routes easy.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024