Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:47 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Finally time to have some fun

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 11:58pm 08 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guy's,
Well been reading this forum daily and thinking more and more to get back into electronics. So last night tried for a few hours to program some pic32150's as thats all I have here and no way could I get teraterm to load the screen. Must of tried to program the pic's several times( 4 off pic's too) and still no go. Anyway today kept pressing on and finally got success first one working in teraterm, so onto the next ones where MPIPE would sometimes say 'no target'. Kept pressing on and not long had all 4 working in teraterm.

So loaded up my XP machine and got them working on there. Decided MMEdit would be the go so downloaded and installed it on the xp machine only to find it hang badly after I got chatting to the micromite. ( just sent edit to the MM and it showed some garble but the edit screen was there).

Hooked up a DS18B20 and had temp readings showing in teraterm and now I can't wait for the HRC-04 ultrasonic and the BMP-085 boards to get here. Tomorrow arvo's job is hooking up my 4x20 lcd screen and some buttons then show my daughters how much fun these chips can be.

Cheers Bryan

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 05:21am 09 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It gets addictive, I know... Have fun and persevere! Once you get fully up and running, i think it is worth it to get your hands on some 170s for the added coolness that Geoff added to MMbasic.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 07:29am 09 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Bryan,

Once you have played a bit with your 150's then drop me a PM and I will AirMail you an MX170 complete with a 10uF SMD ceramic capacitor soldered across Pins 19 & 20. All I ask is you update this thread with your 'experiments'.

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:47pm 09 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Welcome Back Bryan,

It has been a while..

Good luck with your `playing', it does get addictive..

Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 01:52am 10 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well went up the shed for a look for that 4x20 LCD but nowhere to be found but sitting there was that $5 128x64 KS0108 GLCD and the touchscreen to fit on. I did make a breakout board with a zif connector for the touchscreen and the first time soldering 0.025 pitch.

Looking on the net to try and find some code for the KS0108 but no hits to date. O'well I'll keep researching and have a good think about ( with notepad) on my trip up north tomorrow.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 03:57pm 10 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi guy's,
Well looks like the 28 pin aint got enough pins to drive this glcd and have many left so just now soldered up a 44 pin chip on a breakout board. I will take a couple of pic's once I got it all hooked up and working on the breadboard tomorrow when I get home.

Regards Bryan

matherp
Guru

Posted: 09:36pm 10 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  find some code for the KS0108

Bryan

I posted code for the KS0108 here but it needs the MX170 to run as it uses Cfunctions to get the speed. The code is setup for the 28-pin chip but can be converted to the 44-pin device by mapping the pin numbers using the Microchip datasheet

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 01:58am 12 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for that link Peter, I downloaded that zip file and had a look and WOW mate those libraries are the goods mate.

Anyway for the 150's I have here I'll just use LCD's and tonight started wiring up the breadboard making new jumpers. Will finish off the wiring tomorrow night then time for a play.

Regards Bryan

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:34pm 12 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Gday Bryan,

If you still haven't got a 170 PM me your address again and I will send one flashed with 4.6b (28pin 50MHz) .. I still owe you for the things you helped me with a year or two back.

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:58am 21 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Mick and WW eh guys a thanks for the offer of chips and I finally got around to sampling some so they should be here in the next few days. Anyway been flat out like a lizard drinking getting my new liquid tonic contraption finished so when the 170's arrive I have a BB all setup so it will just a matter of switching pic's then the real fun can start.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:43pm 27 Apr 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

YAY one happy camper here as the 170's turned up today along with the HRC ultrasonic sensor. Now as I had already soldered a 150 chip onto a 44 pin breakout board time to remove the chip and replace it with a 170 ( first time too) and with the 28 pin just need to replace it with the 150 on the BB and program in the firmware.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:14pm 06 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guy's,
Well finally got a 170 into my BB and decided to program it, thats when the fun started

I found my version on IPE didn't have the 170 listed so onto the microchip website to get a newer version. Downloaded V3 and no way could I get it to install on winsucks 7 or delete the old version. It just seems like the installer hung with a blank window and after several reboots decided to try V2.35. So downloaded that and same problem . So close to a gig of data downloaded on our Fraudband NBN sat with only 10 gig of peak data a month.

Anyway had my 2.4 gig cnc computer here with XP as the OS and got V3 installed no worries. So programmed the pic and nothing on teraterm. So back upto the shed to test all the connections and sure enough the RX jumper wire wasn't home so fixed that. Back down to the house and YAY it works but 10.30pm and no time to play.

To top it all off that page I had with all the pinouts mapped ended up being a fire lighter so now got to remap all the pinouts.

Did I say I was going to have some fun well it wasn't supposed to be like this but hopefully I'm over the fence and now can really start to have some fun.

Cheers Bryan

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 01:18am 07 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Keep plugging away, it is well worth it!!!!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:28am 07 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Bryan1

If you managed to get through that then the rest really will be easy (and FUN!). As Jim says, 'Keep plugging away . . . .
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 12:33pm 21 May 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guy's,
Well finally found some time for a play so stripped the BB and setup that glcd and loaded the bas file for it. No dice as it looks like that glcd has had the murphy touch. So back to the 4x20 lcd and wrote up a simple program to see if it worked.

YAY it worked and all 4 lines in the lcd showed.

After that the fun really started, I was using my shed puter with XP and everything seemed fine so back down to the house and noway could I get the BB talking to teraterm or MMEdit. All I was getting was gobbly gook then after a while the startup banner filling the screen. It turned out that battery pack was the culprit so a bit of padding solved that problem and no more rapid resets.

Hooked up a DS18B20, VDD to 3v3 Gnd to Gnd and data via 4k7 to 3v3, all I got was 1000 as the temp and after a while decided that was enough for the night.

Anyway ordered one of those 2.8" SPI screens and on the slow boat from China.

Cheers Bryan

Bryan1

Guru

Posted: 09:42pm 01 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G'day Guy's,
Well it turned out my main puter(win7) was playing the usual micrsucks tricks and wouldn't load mplabx V3 so no joy trying to program the 170's. Got it setup on my 32 bit computer but it hit and miss getting thing to work. Anyway finally got to the bottom of things and got winblows sorted out, mplabx V3 installed and YAY MMEdit talking to the 170.

Decided to hook up the 2.8" tft and loaded up beta 8 and YAY got the gui calibrate to work. Now on playing around making buttons and playing with colours (note to self YOU are colour blind).

Got the ultrasonic sensor out and no joy getting it going so went to beta 11 and found what WW found, it will go once but with -2 then not take another reading. I used pins 16 and 17 so tried WW's trick only to find it saying error pin 17 isn't a output. So just tried doing a print so it came out on the console now its saying pin 16 is still in use after a 2 second delay.

O'well having fun relearning all the syntax but getting there.

Cheers Bryan

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 10:39pm 01 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glad you are still having fun.
These TFT touch screens are great to use once you get into it.

Beta11 is rather buggy so don't be surprised when things fail.

Save your remaining hair for the next Beta.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024