Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 11:46 29 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Reducing the current draw on a SSD1963

MMAndy

Posted: 03:05am 20 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Reducing the current draw on a SSD1963 TFT display board for battery operation.

There are many conflicting numbers for the backlight current draw.
I found one at 620 ma. and another at 330 ma. for the 7" TFT display board.

Are there other ways, other than reducing the backlight from 100% to 50%, to reduce the overall current draw for battery operation?

edit addition ...

There are two ways to power the TFT backlight. One is applying 5V and the other is just using the 3.3V supply to power the TFT. Which is better to reduce the current draw?Edited by MMAndy 2015-07-21

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 03:18am 20 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMAndy said  There are two ways to power the TFT backlight. One is applying 5V and the other is just using the 3.3V supply to power the TFT. Which is better to reduce the current draw?

I have found that each (SSD) LCD Panel has to be considered in its own right. At the end of the day it is all about having an image that you are happy with. It is very much a balancing act between voltage, BACKLIGHT, series resistor and on top of all this, TFT quality.

I have some TFTs that draw lower power at 5v, and others that draw lower at 3v3 (depends on vRegs they use I guess).

Don't be afraid to play around with all these things remembering there is no one answer that fits all TFTs.

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:47pm 20 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Bigger displays normally suck more current, as they have a bigger array of LED's for the backlight. Thus, NORMALLY, the bigger the physical display, the higher the backlight current consumption will be.

That is not set in stone, and this is on theory.

You could have a routine that turns the PWM for the backlight off, reducing the current consumption drastically after five seconds or so, and when the MM+ touch interrupt registers any touch at all, it brings the backlight back up again.

That would probably be about the best way to deal with it, as these big screens on batteries is a big ask, unless you have very juicy batteries!
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

MMAndy

Posted: 04:24pm 20 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Keyboard 100 ma. + TFT 7" Display Backlight 620 ma. + TFT 7" Display electronics 100 ma. + Microcontroller aka MicroMite+ ~ 75-100 ma. = Total current draw about 1 amp. (worst case)

20,000 or even 30,000 mAh. 5V USB power packs can now be purchased at a reasonable cost. A 20 or 30 hour runtime could be possible.

Edited by MMAndy 2015-07-22

srnet

Posted: 07:35pm 20 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMAndy said  20,000 or even 30,000 mAh. 5V USB power packs can now be purchased at a reasonable cost. A 20 or 30 hour runtime could be possible.

Whats a 'reasonable' cost ?
$50SAT is Silent but probably still working.
For information on LoRa visit http://www.loratracker.uk/

MMAndy

Posted: 04:02am 21 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a ref. not an endorsement ...
http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-20000mAh-Portable-Technology-Blackberry/dp/B00MLVPOUMEdited by MMAndy 2015-07-22

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 04:48am 21 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

PLEASE be careful of any of these 'bargain priced' power packs. There is a real safety issue with these types of 'cheap' products.

Only last night I had to throw a similar item outside onto the grass as it started 'clicking loudly'. It was not under any load, it was just sitting on a table and everyone in the room started hearing a 'strange' noise. It took a few seconds to locate what was going on but the battery-pack went straight out of the door. By the way, it was not warm in any way, but it had left a 'burn' mark on the table.

When I looked at it this morning I noticed it had leaked a chemical by a surprising amount; so it went into a sealed bag and straight down to the local garbage dump.

Genuine power-packs with capacities like these cost considerably more than US$75; some are well over $200.

There is no problem with anyone 'experimenting' with 'cheap' devices - but I feel it is important to make you aware of the 'risks' of an item like this that may at first appear to be a 'bargain'.

For anyone wondering why I had one, it was a friend that had brought it round to have it to charge their tablet and he didn't want to leave it in the car outside (i.e. it wasn't mine!).

WW

MMAndy

Posted: 04:53am 21 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  When I looked at it this morning I noticed it had leaked a chemical by a surprising amount; so it went into a sealed bag and straight down to the local garbage dump.

With Amazon "Prime" they will take your "sealed bag" back for a full refund!
Besides, their user product reviews helps new buyers to weed out the inferior products from the quality products. Edited by MMAndy 2015-07-22

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 05:02am 21 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MMAndy said  With Amazon "Prime" they will take your "sealed bag" back for a full refund!
Trust me, if this had of been my item, then I would have wanted more than a refund! Literally a 'time-bomb' waiting to go off

MMAndy said  Besides, their user product reviews helps new buyers to weed out the inferior products from the quality products.
I totally agree; have you read the first review (the one with just one star).

Like I say, nothing wrong with 'cheap' devices until they have a potential impact on your personal safety . . .

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 02:33pm 21 Jul 2015
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well it has the word "BOOM" as part of the URL, so what do you expect. :)

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024