Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:02 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Maxi/Micro Mites too expensive.

Page 2 of 2    
panky

Guru

Posted: 12:50am 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glen,

I like your idea of the sticky this would certainly help any newcomers to the forum.

Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 01:15am 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@Gizmo,

Very much like your idea regarding the supplier 'forum sticky'; so please count me in!!

One thing I will be discussing with an investor next week is the ability to set up an agent out in China that can despatch MicroMite.org 'goodies'. The investor is a brother of an ex-school friend who has UK staff based in China. He is in the PCB soldering game (supplying industrial automated soldering equipment) so will also look at manufacturing modules too. This would overcome the UK's high(ish) shipping costs which has always been an issue for overseas customers.

Perhaps before the 64pin & 100pin MM is officially released, us relevant TBS members should club together and place a volume order from MicroChip to get lower unit costs

Question for all non-UK TBS members: What are your 'typical' delivery timescales for goods ordered from Chinese suppliers. I don't need to know about the exceptions (we all know someone who has waited months!!). Just want to know what NON-Couriered timescales are for various parts of the world.
Here in the UK it can typically be anything from five days to three weeks.

Thanks,

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 02:15am 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, will do.

I'll add MicroMite.org ( WhiteWizzard ), CircuitGizmo, and Silicon Chip. Bigmik if you could send me a private message with your preferred contact details, same goes to anyone else who can supply Maxi/Micro Mite parts. Include your country.

It will just be a list. Supplier, country and contact details. Nice and simple, and the reader can then visit the web site or get in touch to get prices, etc.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

hitsware
Guru

Posted: 05:44am 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said  
What are your 'typical' delivery timescales for goods ordered from Chinese suppliers.

1 to 3 weeks to California USA

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 02:45pm 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Supplier, country and contact details.

Please make that "main country of manufacture" ...

I am reminded of the frozen peas on sale in Aus, that were labelled
"product of New Zealand" or similar, only to find they had been imported
from China. So the mug consumer thinks they are getting ( and paying for )
excellent clean & green NZ produce, but actually get stuff grown with no
or corrupt standards regarding pesticides etc...Hence the Aus trading laws regarding advertising, business/company numbers, representation etc,
not to mention customs and excise (bring on the TPP !)

I can remember once buying a little $5 water pump (windscreen washer)..
the translation at Hong Kong just said "liquid", ... which of course
was promptly banned from flying and took ages.

Here in Aus if you order from Microchip, the chances are it will be shipped from Thailand, very quickly and efficient,
with no BS. Similarly with Oshpark for prototype pcbs, USP apparently have a fast-track scheme going.

Personally I try (at least in better times when I can afford it) to buy from the US (instead of the EEC or China),
simply because of a photo. It is in the old Time/Life photojournalism series, in this case on the war in the Pacific, and is worth searching for and finding. It is of three GI's on an anonymous beach, on an anonymous island near Gaudalcanal somewhere in the Pacific...they are dead of course. There is no majestic hype or pomp...just three guys that did their bit...and is profoundly moving. Although the US is not exactly perfect, as far I am concerned, when it comes to the right to liberty and trade, the US earned it.

Edited by chronic 2016-01-10

paceman
Guru

Posted: 05:52pm 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Most things from China to me in Melbourne take about three weeks. I have had them in two but often enough it goes to four. Orders to Microchip Direct are pretty good and arrive from Thailand in one week or less - that's also about the time for things from Jean (MicroBlocks) so he does a very good job. From Grogster in NZ it's seven to ten days and it surprises me that NZ/Aus delivery doesn't do better than that - the holdups are probably on the Aus end because Aus Post is in major cost-cutting mode. The two or three UK orders I've placed are usually about ten days. Mik, over on the other side of Melbourne is best with one or two days

RS are very good but they're always couriered of course - the freight is free but of course the price isn't low. They manage next day if in stock here, two to four days if from Singapore or wherever. Element14 are much the same as RS but they have a minimum order of $45 before the freight is free.

Greg

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:49pm 08 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Gizmo - add my website to the list. I will put up an extra bit on my site in the next few days, just offering the MM 28-pin DIL chip, pre-programmed with the latest firmware. I would match Mick's prices, so that no-one is in competition with each other - it's all to further the availability and awareness of the MM etc.

I will PM you a link in the next few days, but I have to get the PayPal buttons up and working first - this is taking longer then I thought, but I am working on it....
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 12:19am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've put up the parts suppliers sticky.

Let me know if you guys want to add, edit, etc.

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 03:22am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Glenn,

Is it worth adding our 'screen names' too so people know who we are? I am happy for 'WhiteWizzard' to be displayed in the list providing others are happy for theirs too.

WW

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to say 'Thanks' for setting this up. Hopefully it will help new members in obtaining parts to play with Edited by WhiteWizzard 2016-01-11
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:53am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I 2nd that - I am happy for my name(Grogster) to go alongside my link. I think this is a good idea. I too should like to copy Phil and say 'Thanks, Glenn.'
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 03:46pm 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Glenn,

Gizmo said  BigMick, your price is also spot on. In fact I would be happy to pay a few dollars more and still think the price was good.

Thank you for the comment, I, of course, am just doing this as a hobby and whilst not as altruistic as Geoff, I am not trying to make a profit, baring in mind that most things are bought in QTY, mostly to minimise the cost of postage and get a small QTY break, I really just design boards that I want and if I can get my boards for free then that makes my happy.. Quite a few of my boards don't sell well, which is fine, but generally means a loss due to buying PCBs (and prototypes that may not work) and stock for some board not wanted by the general public.. These losses are offset by really good sellers like MuP and recently BackPack170 so I feel that it evens out in the end.. I often add a couple of poor sellers to an order as freebies as I don't see the point of them gathering dust on my bench, on the same basis people often pay more than I ask and say `a beer on me' which really, REALLY, makes my day and think it is all worth while...

Glenn, thank you for adding me to the suppliers list, that link is fine.. Also as you know I appreciate your support and any of my boards are always yours for the asking.

Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 04:01pm 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

GDay Phil, All,

WhiteWizzard said   Question for all non-UK TBS members: What are your 'typical' delivery timescales for goods ordered from Chinese suppliers.

In Australia, I wait typically... (Approximate guesses)

2 weeks (10%)
4 weeks (60%)
6 weeks (20%)

Then the odd one that is super quick and then those that are super long fill the other 10%..

I really think that a lot of Chinese suppliers lie when they say that they have shipped the item, and sit on them till they get enough buyers for them to order a larger QTY from their stockists to minimise their costs.. They then ship them all out at the same time, if you happen to be early you wait a long time, if you order whilst they are waiting for orders to fill up you get them quicker.

I say this as I quite often am given a `tracking number' that doesn't work and when I query that I get a new number... Now, why would they send a fake tracking number if they really did send the item.

But then it is hard to complain given the prices that most of these Chinese companies sell (inc shipping) for.

Regards,

Mick

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:25pm 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Similar times from China to Mick here in Tassie.
The problems really start when goods do not arrive and you request a replacement.
With all the stalling and then long waits, by the time the replacement doesn't arrive either, you are well outside the ebay refund times and past the time when you can post a suitable feedback.
I am currently having a conversation with ebay over an item I ordered early August.
Note to me - always request refund then reorder once the refund has been received.

Orders from the USA can take from 1 to 5 weeks so we learn to be patient.

Only some of the couriers are willing to venture as far out as my abode and then they get upset if I am not at home. The postal service is safer for me but it can be herd to get suppliers like RS or Element14 to change their system just for me.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 06:18am 11 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

bigmik said  
I say this as I quite often am given a `tracking number' that doesn't work and when I query that I get a new number... Now, why would they send a fake tracking number if they really did send the item.

I get that a lot. For me that dishonesty is a fast way to get on the list of ebay sellers that I will not order from again.

Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 11:14am 11 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have given up on parts from ebay/aliexpress for projects that need more then a single piece. Those sources are not reliable and i have had to redesign some projects in the past because parts where slightly different or not available anymore.
Only for a personal project where i maybe need one or two of the items i stil use
them as the prices are interesting.

Parts i sell are only direct from factory (Microchip) or reputable suppliers.
I buy 25-100 pieces to get a better price and sell them with a small markup to cover costs and risk. A programmed 28 pin DIP uMite (PIC32MX170) is for instance 6US$. The main advantage i offer is that for a single part (or a few, as long as it fits in the padded envelope) i charge only 2US$. A small box starts from 8US$ and can contain lots of items. The duration is about 7-14 days as it is by normal mail.

No online shop yet! (working on it) :)

Microblocks. Build with logic.

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 09:57am 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Altronics ? Jaycar ?

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 01:05pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Microblocks if you like I can add you, and use a email address or contact phone number? Of just send me a message when you're ready.

Yeah did think about Altronics and Jaycar. I dont think they supply Micromotes unfortunately. But the local Jaycar usually have a few PicAxe chips in stock. I'll add them to the list.
JAQ

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 05:44pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

with the mention elsewhere of the free shipping options offered by RS, i had a bit of a look at their website. see:
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/microcontrollers/8417548/

three PIC32MX170 28-pin SDIP for au$6.95 each (that is au$20.85/pack)

this link may be worthwhile adding to the list, it also raises the question of some of the 'TBS suppliers' thinking about providing micromites in 3-packs. another possible direction to look at may be a "micromite NANO" using an SMD MX170 on a 28-pin 0.6" wide-DIP carrier board. either just the MX170 onboard, or have a CH340G USB bridge and 3v3 regulator.

if someone designs it, perhaps some of the chinese suppliers may be interested in ripping off the design, manufacturing, and selling it through ebay for just a few dollars each.

cheers,
rob :-)

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 06:18pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Robert,

Whilst that is not a bad price from RS perspectives, you still have to add GST which adds 10% (till the government decides to up it to 15%) making it $7.65ea posted in QTY 3.

Regards,

Mick

paceman
Guru

Posted: 07:19pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

A similar supplier to Jaycar and Altronics in Australia is Rockby down in Clayton (southern end of Melbourne), they also have a proper brick and mortar shopfront. I've found their prices are generally a lot better than the other two and in many cases their range of components is much wider (no PIC32 chips though).

In Australia they supply by normal Post (probably courier too but haven't tried that) so costs are normally low. Delivery usually a couple of days up to four or five days to me in the north of Melbourne (same city I know but given how AusPost works these days it probably doesn't change a lot to other parts of Aus). You can actually get them on the phone too which speeds things up if there's an issue. Their payment systems are a bit limited and they need your credit card number on file, but once you're over the first order it's pretty painless.

I think it would be worth adding them too Glenn, but I'm not sure whether they deliver internationally.

Greg

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024