Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:30 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MMEDIT feature request

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 01:51am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Jim,

I have just been caught for the umpteenth time reloading something I was working on, only to find I had not save the latest version. Years of VB with autosave on RUN have ruined me.

Would it be possible to have another option?
Save Project before Load, which would do what the Save File Icon does.
I know Save before Load is already there but saves to backup.bas, but I think it would be overwritten if you worked on another program in the meantime.

Regards
Gerry
Latest F4 Latest H7

matherp
Guru

Posted: 01:54am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Remember you can always recover the version from the Micromite if you overwrite the version in MMEDit. Just open the console window "list all" and cut and paste into the editor window - this has saved me more than once

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 03:19am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Can I ask others here under this thread the following MMEdit 'niggle' I have. Note that it may be me not configuring a setting so any guidance would be appreciated.

If I load a program into the MM and then type OPTION AUTORUN ON then everything works as expected if I cycle the power (i.e. program runs by itself).

However, if I then upload again from MMEdit, the option Autorun seems to be switched off.

Is this what others experience, or am I doing something silly??

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 09:49am 10 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

If you 'save on load', any temporary experimental changes will overwrite the main code which can be just as bad as not saving. That is why I save to 'backup.bas'.

As well as the current 'save on load', you can do automatic incremental backups. I have mine set to 30 minutes. Backups are saved with time-stamps in the name, whenever there have been changes to the code.

The save on load' only works when you use 'load and run'. If you load from the terminal window, none of the auto processes happen.

@WW
OPTION AUTORUN is reset whenever the NEW command is run and this happens whenever you load a new program.

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

CircuitGizmos

Guru

Posted: 12:24pm 14 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TassyJim said  

It would be great if the folder that you specify (top red box) didn't have to be an absolute location, but could be a path relative to the location of the file that you are currently editing. And make any sub-folder specified.

I have this:

D:\Project1
D:\Project2
D:\Project3

I could then specify the folder as \Backup then when I'm in D:\Project1 the backup files go to D:\Project1\Backup and when I'm editing the project in D:\Project3 the backup files go to D:\Project3\Backup - as D:\Project3\Backup\20160114_1348_projname.bas

That way all backups are kept within the file structure for that project.
Micromites and Maximites! - Beginning Maximite

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:39pm 14 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

CircuitGizmos said  
It would be great if the folder that you specify (top red box) didn't have to be an absolute location, but could be a path relative to the location of the file that you are currently editing. And make any sub-folder specified.

I have this:

D:\Project1
D:\Project2
D:\Project3

I could then specify the folder as \Backup then when I'm in D:\Project1 the backup files go to D:\Project1\Backup and when I'm editing the project in D:\Project3 the backup files go to D:\Project3\Backup - as D:\Project3\Backup\20160114_1348_projname.bas

That way all backups are kept within the file structure for that project.

That is a good idea.
I will try and put that in as an option.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 06:23pm 14 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

disco4now said  
Save Project before Load, which would do what the Save File Icon does.
I know Save before Load is already there but saves to backup.bas, but I think it would be overwritten if you worked on another program in the meantime.

Regards
Gerry

What if I change the name of the backup to backup_yourprogname.bas?
That, together with the option to save into a project subfolder, should cover all bases.

You could then end up with timed backups and a backup of the most recent uploaded version, all in a project\backup folder

JimEdited by TassyJim 2016-01-16
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024