Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 05:34 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : 2.4 TFT SPI LCD

centrex

Guru

Posted: 07:16pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a 2.4 tft spi lcd ILI9341 which I cannot get to go just a white screen
It does not respond to anything that works on a 2.8 tft lcd even if I redo the setup for lcd panels and touch, nothing.
The back of the unit is very similar to the 2.8 unit except their is an extra transistor Q1 and two resistors R5 and R6.

Any ideas??

Cliff

Cliff

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 07:47pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Does another screen of the same type go if you do a swap?
...assuming you have one to swap...

I've not had any issues - they normally spring to life as soon as you tell MMBASIC that they are there. I assume you have issued the OPTION LCDPANEL command?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

centrex

Guru

Posted: 07:58pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The 2.8 unit I have works aok, plug in the 2.4 into the same board same software nothing but I can control the backlight.

It did appear to do the right thing for a couple of seconds and then only the backlight.

replace the 2.4 with the 2.8 works immediately.

cliff
Cliff

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:23pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Some of those LCD panels do not, I repeat, DO NOT use the same pinout. It would be worthwhile you putting both LCD's side by side, and comparing the pinout. I know that some of the parallel LCD modules can use different pinouts, but the SPI ones might be more standardized - I don't know.

Assuming all wiring is correct, I would think you might have a dud screen.
Especially if another one goes OK - it can't be the MM then.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

paceman
Guru

Posted: 10:01pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The 2.4" ILI9341 I have here is marked TJCTM24024-SPI and works fine - I think it's the same one Peter Mather linked to in his early posts. In one of those posts he mentioned shorting out the J1 solder jumper at the rear - immediately above the little transistor. I did that to mine way back then and it's still there so maybe that's an issue. Trouble is I can't remember why he said it needed to be done - it might have been a power supply (I'm running it all on 3.3v) or backlight issue but it also may have had something to do with your problem. I've had a look but can't find that post - it'll be there somewhere though.

Greg

centrex

Guru

Posted: 11:13pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks for the suggestions, nothing has worked so far.

It is just labelled 2.4 spi tft lcd 240x320 looks the same as the2.8 except for the extra tranistoron the back.

Cliff
Cliff

matherp
Guru

Posted: 11:21pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Cliff

Can you post a detailed picture of the PCB?

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:25pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

paceman said  I think it's the same one Peter Mather linked to in his early posts. In one of those posts he mentioned shorting out the J1 solder jumper at the rear - immediately above the little transistor. I did that to mine way back then and it's still there so maybe that's an issue. Trouble is I can't remember why he said it needed to be done - it might have been a power supply

The J1 solder jumper is to change between 3v3 and 5v input. With it shorted out it requires a 3v3 input; with it open it needs 5v input.

The solder jumper simply shorts out the on-board 3v3 regulator input to output.

Not saying this is your issue; just highlighting the purpose of the solder jumper

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

centrex

Guru

Posted: 11:39pm 12 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WW & Paceman tried shorting J1 no joy.

Matherp I will have to do that tomorrow night.

cliff
Cliff

paceman
Guru

Posted: 12:22am 13 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

WhiteWizzard said   The solder jumper simply shorts out the on-board 3v3 regulator input to output.

Thanks Phil, that was one of my options at least.

KRZ3

Posted: 06:41am 13 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I've used 20 of the TFT LCD ILI9341 screens for a project and I had 4 of them giving me the white screen of death. I fixed 3 of them by just redoing some solder joints. Two were on the screen itself. The header pins on the screen side. One was my joint from the screen to the PCB and the other one I could never get it to work. I have another one that gives me issues every once in a while, but a power cycle brings it back. Anyway, check your solder joints as it may help fix yours.

centrex

Guru

Posted: 03:38pm 13 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp, here is a picture of the back of the display

KRZ3, resoldered the pin header no joy.

The display works sometimes cycle the power it is ok unplug it and replug it wont go, try that with the 2.8 display never fails.

A bit of a nuisance.

Cliff
Cliff

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 04:38pm 13 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I know that this does not help you but I have taken to buying these screens in multiple quantities. They are so cheap that it does not matter if you buy three or four at the same time and it means that you are not concerned if one of them has a problem.

In recent times one 2.4" LCD arrived with the glass cracked, another 2.8" died due to my poor static protection and a third only works sometimes. At US$6 they are not worth worrying about so I just tossed them into the bin.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

palcal

Guru

Posted: 06:37pm 13 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The board is a little different to the ones I have but it appears J1 is open. Are you running from 5v or 3.3v.
Paul
Edit... sorry just re read the post this has been coveredEdited by palcal 2016-01-15
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

centrex

Guru

Posted: 02:20pm 14 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Palcal.. Tried the J1 bridge no joy, I am running on 3.3v no problem with the 2.8 tft/LCD.

Thanks to all for the help.

Cliff
Cliff

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024