Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 03:39 30 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Trying to network a MM+...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:15pm 14 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nothing is easy....

Please refer to this thread for details on an old networking issue, which we SOLVED for that platform, but now I can't make the MM+ respond to commands.

- Network connection IS established between network and serial console on MM+
- MM+ DOES echo commands, but ONLY after you press [ENTER]
- You can type whatever you like and [ENTER], and the MM+ does nothing
- Keystrokes are NOT echoed while typing at the > prompt.
- Keystrokes show up as complete words when you press [ENTER]

This is the result of the network connection and attempts to talk to it:

# IP address is correct, so is port number.
# TT is set to vt100 mode
# Baudrate of console is 38k4, but have tried lowering to 9600

Slower baudrate of 9600, and changing that in the network module config also does not help - it is exactly the same.

I don't get what the hell I am doing wrong......

I will now try connecting a different device to the network module to see what happens.

Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 11:26pm 14 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

UPDATE

I have fixed the no-echo thing by changing Line-At-A-Time to off.

The MM+ is now echoing back each keypress, but [ENTER] still does nothing and no commands are executed.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 12:13am 15 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi G,

I personally find that Putty is much better to use than TT. It has many more things that can be tweaked and I have had more success with Putty during the last few weeks with BlueTooth and WiFi connecting to the MM console.

There will be a tick box (or setting) somewhere in there to get the desired result. Look in the Terminal setup tab/screen - Im not at home at moment to give the exact detail but know there where things there to change from default.

So try Putty if you can - it may just work with default settings.

WW

EDIT: Let me add that I have used TT to very successfully connect to the MM console via Telnet (ESP8266/HC05) & SSH (RPi).
Edited by WhiteWizzard 2016-01-16
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:20am 15 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

change teraterm to send cr and lf

jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:02am 15 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Jim - You're a star!!!

That was what was stopping it!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

@ WW - I will check out Putty, as I have not used that before.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:19pm 15 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogster said  EDIT: In making the module WAN, it is now refusing connections from the LAN - TT just keeps saying "Connection refused." as soon as I put in the IP and port number.

I suspect I need to change something/add something to the router, as port 5000 is on port forwarding now, but I figured that the LAN side would not be affected - perhaps I need to use my own router IP address just as I did from other houses....

EDIT: Yes, using my routers IP address and port number as I did OUTSIDE this house, works, and I can talk to the module in a kind of loop-back, by referencing my own router here, to come back here to talk to the network module - curious.

Now this is not working anymore. Everything is setup fine in the router, but all I get is 'Connection refused.' no matter if I use the actual IP address of the 107 module, or if I use my public IP address.

This was working fine before - enter in public IP and port number, and it would route it to the 107 module. That worked both here at the house, and remotely. Now neither will work.

I changed from Vodafone to Spark(Telecom) just before Christmas. Perhaps they are being problematic with port-forwarding?

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:52pm 15 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs,

Make sure you only have one 'session' (i.e. connection) open. I one had a TT session open on another machine and spent a long time wondering why I couldn't connect (Connection Refused message) from another machine.

Or maybe you have a session that wasn't quite shut down correctly - some WiFi modules need to be power cycled to restart afresh to escape out of the 'loop'.

Good luck . . .

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 10:08pm 15 Jan 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks, WW. 107 module is hard-wired network, not WiFi, and TT auto-closes when the connection is refused, so there is only one instance of it running or attempting.

I rang a buddy, and gave him the relevant details, and he too got the same 'Connection refused.' message back.

All settings are identical to when it WAS working with Vodafone(and that same buddy could connect then too), so I think this is Spark blocking port 5000 - it might be restricted or something. I will ring them tomorrow and see if I can get some kind of answer as to if they have restrictions on port numbers.

I know you can't use port 23 with Spark - for some reason they have decided to use the Telnet default port number as their email server, which is an interesting choice...

I will keep you all informed.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024