Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:31 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : CFunctions and Options for XC32-gcc

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 08:31am 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I decided to give myself a crash course in C programming (silly me) and installed MPLAB IDE 3.20 and MPLAB XC32 1.40. When I tried to build some sample projects from both Peter Carnegie and Peter Mather and they failed. I verified the compiler options were set to "-fPIC -mno-abicalls". Examining the error log, I found a line stating that "-mabicalls" setting is required for position-independent code. When I added that setting everything started to work.

So... Am I doing something wrong? Is this something new for MPLAB IDE 3.20 and/or MPLAB XC32 1.40? Is it okay to keep using this setting or will it cause me grief later on?

Thanks,
Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 08:50am 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

All the work I do is with XC32 1.33. This is the version Geoff uses for the firmware so it is probably best to stick with it. It was also the last version which Microchip distributed with the integrated plib library. You should definitely use:

-fPIC -mno-abicalls

the abicalls bit stops the compiler generating Unix System V Relase 4 style code (SVR4). It is the -fPIC that sets up position independence (to the extent that MIPS supports it).

The CFGEN program actually modifies the machine code to try and remove non-position independent instructions.

I'm now using the compiler options:

-fPIC -mno-abicalls -fno-toplevel-reorder -shared -membedded-data -mno-long-calls -fno-jump-tables -mno-jals -mgpopt -Wuninitialized -Wunused-variable -Wunused-value -Wunreachable-code

In addition I set the: "Exclude Standard Libraries", "Do not link startup code", and "Exclude Floating point library" tick boxes in the Libraries drop down on the options for xc32-ld

The above setting have been determined by Nathan and allow the use of things like "switch" statements that were previously a problem.

Make sure you are using optimisation level 1. Anything else can give problems. It is worth noting the xc32-1.4 has a very different optimisation engine which may be an issue.

Edited by matherp 2016-02-02

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 09:50am 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Peter,

I installed XC32 1.33 and it works without adding the extra -mabicalls switch. Also, thank you for sharing the other settings from your configuration!

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:06am 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  and it works

Excellent news

Do post any questions, it is great to have someone else getting stuck into CfunctionsEdited by matherp 2016-02-02

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 10:50am 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Do post any questions, it is great to have someone else getting stuck into Cfunctions

Questions? Have I ever got questions!

A#1 - Why am I doing this to myself?!?

Seriously though... I do have a couple of very specific questions, but I want to hold off asking until I have a better handle on what I'm doing. If I ask the questions now, I probably won't fully understand the answers.

--Curtis

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:04pm 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I read my way through several of Peter's cfunction tutorials, but I was lost even there. Nothing wrong with Peter's instructions or writing, it's just C is so bloody confusing!

I don't think I am the only one...

It's some of the syntax that C uses - to me looks like gobble-de-gook, with no really easy to decipher meaning. But then, C is not a BASIC, so there you go.

I guess if I had much more time to devote to learning C, it would get easier.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 05:22pm 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My biggest problem with trying to learn CFunctions, at the moment, is that it is like dealing with a black hole. You pass your data into it and pray things don't crash for some unknown reason while it is beyond your reach to monitor it. With a regular program you can add lots of print (or printf) statements to monitor whats going on along the way, but can't do that with a CFunction.

Oh well... I have a goal in mind and I going to keep driving the nails into this project with my forehead until I created what want, or knock this whole CFunction idea out of my head.

--Cutis

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:35pm 01 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   With a regular program you can add lots of print (or printf) statements to monitor whats going on along the way, but can't do that with a CFunction.

Watch this space

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 08:17am 02 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Important CFunction lession I just learned... Bad output from the CFunction is not necessarily the fault of the CFunction.

Just spent hours going over and over the same lines of C code only to find I was passing the wrong variable from MMBasic.

Should have written:
a = 1
b = 2
c = addto(a, b)
Print a, b, c

Instead I wrote:
a = 1
b = 2
c = addto(a, c)
Print a, b, c

Could not figure out why a+b did not produce a logical result in c. (no pun intended, but deserved)

--Curtis

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024