Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 02:06 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Canon printer motors. Can MM+ Drive them?

MM_Wombat

Posted: 06:46pm 05 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi All,

Just pulled apart my old Canon Multi Function Centre Inkjet printer, to salvage the motors. I assume they are dc motors as they only have two wires. Could the MM+ drive these motors, with the help of a ULN 2008 maybe.

MM_Wombat
Keep plugging away, it is fun learning
But can be expensive (if you keep blowing things up).

Maximite, ColourMaximite, MM+

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 07:48pm 05 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@MM_Wombat

Yes, that should work. However, before trying this I would personally first look to see if there is a voltage rating printed on the motor. If so, then apply a DC voltage as printed and just check it spins the motor. Reverse the power connection and check it reverses the spin. If this works, then I would also check the current drawn - just to make sure any driver circuit is capable of handling the required motor current.

If there is no voltage printed, then get a variable power supply and simply try connecting the motor first to this. Then when it spins with reasonable torque, measure the voltage required (and current). Do not try to see how fast you can spin it with a variable voltage as you may burn out the internals!

If either work, then connecting to a MM becomes easy. If you connect to a PWM output then you also get a variable speed motor.

Good luck . . . .

WW
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

MM_Wombat

Posted: 08:31pm 05 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ WW

The motors have no markings but the small PCB on the back has text. ICI 875D 94V-0
Google found nothing

I can run it on 12V and can't stop the toothed gear with my fingers. The power supply states 36V and 24V output.

The motors have very thin wires, approx 1 mm , so i don't think they would draw much current.

I would be better off using an L293 as I could then have variable speed, and bi-directional. Could use the servo command for a calculated length of time? I assume I would have to use a pullup as the L293 uses 5V logic?

I wanted to use the motor to feed a length of wire for work projects that sometimes require 2.5 m of twin core wire to be used for powering devices. An MM+ with touch screen would be perfect to drive it. Load and unload the wire from the spool.

Thanks for the advice.

MM_Wombat

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:44pm 05 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking at datasheet I don't think you will have an issue with 3v3 on MM and 5v on L293D so no need for pull-ups.

For safety, add in a series resistor (anything from 330R to 1K) between the MM and L293D. These should not impact operation, but will limit current sufficiently to protect the MM.

WW

MM_Wombat

Posted: 09:04pm 05 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@WW

Thanks , Will let you know how I go.

Feeling confident. Just flashed my first pic32 (MM+)[CGMICROBOARD2] with the pickit3.

MM_Wombat

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:25pm 05 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MM_Wombat said  Feeling confident. Just flashed my first pic32 (MM+)[CGMICROBOARD2] with the pickit3.

Guess you loaded v5.1? If not, then strongly recommend you grab this version from Geoff's website.

Do keep us updated with your progress

MM_Wombat

Posted: 03:59pm 06 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@WW

The datasheet describes how to connect up the chip for bi-directional use. It uses the SES5001 diodes. These are 200V 2A diodes.

I have some 1N5404 diodes rated at 400V 3A. Would they be something I could use?

The motor has a resistance of 16.8 ohms, so I expect the current draw to be around 700mA @ 12V

Or should I just get some UF4003 rated 200V 1A.

I don't expect the motors to run for a long time, or change direction mid use. Direction would change when unloading the spool.

WhiteWizard said  Guess you loaded v5.1? If not, then strongly recommend you grab this version from Geoff's website.

Yes, the board came with 4.7 beta 36(MM.VER 4.07), and I flashed it to 5.1(MM.VER 5.01)
[edit] Can't wait for my ILI9341 screens to turn up [/edit]
MM_WombatEdited by MM_Wombat 2016-02-08

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:34pm 06 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MM_Wombat said  The datasheet describes how to connect up the chip for bi-directional use. It uses the SES5001 diodes. These are 200V 2A diodes.

I have some 1N5404 diodes rated at 400V 3A. Would they be something I could use?

The diodes are not acting as a fuse, so as long as their current rating is equivalent, or higher, then 'Yes', the diodes you have should work just fine.

Out of curiosity, what is your end goal??
EDIT: I know you mentioned 'feeding wire' but can you elaborate more. . .

WW Edited by WhiteWizzard 2016-02-08

OA47

Guru

Posted: 11:12pm 06 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Could the MM+ drive these motors, with the help of a ULN 2008 maybe.

With my experience over the past years there seems to be a big discrepancy with the current capacity of the ULN2008 chips from various manufacturers.
Just thought I would mention this as I was caught out replacing some in the past.
GM

MM_Wombat

Posted: 01:03am 07 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ Graeme Meager

I am going to go with the L293D, after all, not the ULN 2008.

@WW

I work for a diverse Screen Printing company, where they have been doing membrane switch's for 30 odd years. Part of the diversification, was the digital department, where we do Point of Sale stuff for supermarkets and such.

Part of that is the manufacture of the checkout lights. The lights above the checkout, with the number of the checkout on them. Some of the supermarkets can have up to 30 or more checkouts.

When we make them, we supply a length of twin core wire, to power the LED's in the checkout light. The installer ( read ME ) feeds the wire inside the pole, down to a transformer under the checkout.

I want to build a motorised wire feed, that uses the touch screen connected to a MM+ , and a MMBasic program to feed out a length of wire, to solder to the plug attached to the checkout light, before installation on site. The user would input the length required, the number of length's and just cut it off when it is ready. It would only need to go in one direction most of the time, with a reverse for when you need to change wire for some reason (probably never), but just in case.

Hope that clears it up.

I do it to showcase the MM+ to my boss. He doesn't believe I can do it.......

MM_Wombat

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024