Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:59 07 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Measurements using Micromite?

lew247

Guru

Posted: 10:18am 07 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Is it possible to measure mA (milliAmps) using MMBasic and the Micromite?

I have a NovaLynx 200-WS-23 Current Loop Wind Sensor which measures wind speed and direction and outputs both as 4 - 20mA 2 wire measurement loop.

I know I could probably dispose of the electronics box that came with the anemometer and the wind speed unit and just use the pulses generated by the reed switch in the anemometer and count them and use the 20K pot on the direction sensor
but I was thinking as the unit already outputs 4-20mA directly proportional to speed or direction was it possible to use it somehow

Anyone got any ideas/thoughts?

viscomjim
Guru

Posted: 10:47am 07 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You can get a module like THIS and use the uMites a to d input. I'm sure there are other ways to go. Maybe there is a 4-20ma receiver that can do I2C.

Chris Roper

Posted: 12:12pm 07 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Using Ohm's Law if you place a 160 Ohm resistor in series with the current loop and measure the Voltage across it with the MicroMite A2D function then 640 mV = 4 mA and 3.2 V = 20 mA.

I have not physically done that but the theory should form a basis for experiment if you need a simple solution.

Cheers
Chris

http://caroper.blogspot.com/

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 07 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

The 'normal' resistor used in PLA's is 250 ohm, but the closer you can get to zero and still have a good enough range to measure, it will be better.
All is dependent on the precision you need. You can go low as 0.1 ohm.

Adding a resistor with a tolerance will vary the calculated values. It is only to get a ballpark value to start with.
You would need to calibrate (scale) the voltages measured.

Another gotcha is the ground, make sure your ground and the instruments ground is at the same potential. Low side is safer then high side.

Have a look here: http://www.dataq.com/data-acquisition/general-education-tutorials/4-20-ma-current-loop-data-acquisition.html
Edited by MicroBlocks 2016-02-09
Microblocks. Build with logic.

Chris Roper

Posted: 08:52pm 07 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

250 ohm is the standard with 5V but the PIC32 being a 3V3 part needs a smaller value. 160 Ohm being the best fit from the standard E24 Series.

If the device properly implements the current loop it should be a constant current source and not change with a 160 Ohm Load. That said you will get better accuracy if you use an OpAmp to take the reading.

Cheers
Chris

http://caroper.blogspot.com/

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024