Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 14:54 19 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : programming 16F628A

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:43pm 21 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Trying to program a 16F628A with my PicKit3 it connects OK but gives an error message Device ID does not match. I have checked my setting OK. I tried to program anyway but programming failed.
Any ideas.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 09:13pm 21 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul,

is your PIC self powered? Did you use 5V or 3V3? Did you have a connection between VCC of the PicKit and your PIC?

Frank

palcal

Guru

Posted: 09:28pm 21 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes it is powered by my Bench Supply I have programmed a lot of PICs before and never had a problem. I think maybe a faulty chip, I will get another next time I go to town.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:32pm 21 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul,

Sometimes the PicKit3 software will reply with this error even though the selection is correct.

Couple of things to check/try:
1: Ensure the reset pin is pulled high (10k)
2: Ensure you have a decoupling cap close to PICs power pins (100nF)
3: If in a breadboard - move circuit to a different position (cheap breadboard issue that keeps appearing on this forum!!)

If all above ok, then just try programming anyway - it may well work.

The early MaxiMites I had the Device ID error, but was able to program and successfully use the PICs.

Good luck . . . .

WW

EDIT: The debugging feature of the PicKit3 may not work with an 'incorrect Device ID'; but programming will (or should!!)
Edited by WhiteWizzard 2016-02-23
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:29pm 21 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Not a Dreadboard and I tried programming anyway but it didn't work. I will look at your other suggestions especially the decoupling, I know my bench power supply is a bit dirty so I will try powering from a cleaner supply.
Paul.

Frank N. Furter
Guru

Posted: 11:05pm 21 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I had the same problem last week with a 12F629 - always an error message: Device ID does not match!

I tried a old board revision which worked in the past with the same 12F629 on it and got the same error!

Now I tried IPE instead of MPLAB and all was working without any trouble?!

I don't know why my MPLAB suddenly doesn't worked with my PicKit 3...

Paul, try another program (PicKit 3 standalone software, MPLABX, IPE, MPLAB) to program your chip...

Frank

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:53am 22 Feb 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Paul, I flashed one of these a few weeks ago with the PiKcit3 and V2.26 of IPE - I'm using it for a capacitance meter a la Roman Black. As I remember it complained the first time I tried and then worked the second time. The supply is a good bench one.

Greg

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024