Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:38 05 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : An interesting Kickstarter project...

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:09am 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is interesting.

An Intel quad-core 2.5GHz PC-compatible system with 8GB on-board SSD and 2GB RAM among other things, from only $89.

The Advanced one is $109 and has 4GB RAM.

Pretty small for the power of the thing - only 120mm x 85mm!

Three USB3 ports, Gigabit LAN, HDMI, two miniDP++ ports, Bluetooth, Arduino 101 socket, speaker outputs, SATA connector, Micro-SD slot, M.2.SATA card slot, and IR sensor. Boot from LAN, SATA, M.2 SATA, USB3, Micro-SD, or on-board 8GB SSD - extremely flexible boot options.

Very interesting $89 PC mainboard

It's already got 400% backing with another 38 days to go, so it definitely will get funded.

About the only thing that lets it down is the 8GB on-board SSD, as you would have a hard time installing Windoze on that small an SSD, but it would be perfect for Android or many Linux distros. This is not really much of a let-down at all when you consider the M.2 SATA connector on this board, so you can easily add the likes of a 32GB or larger mSATA SSD card to the board, and easily install a full Windoze on that.

I have backed the $109 option(early-bird advanced).
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 06:45am 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looks to eat power, though!

John

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 07:08am 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

My personal rule. If it is funded much more then 100% i get out of it.
Often it is too overwhelming for the ones who make it regarding manufacturing, testing, shipping etc..

Wait a few more weeks/months and you can buy it in a shop with a guarantee that you get a product. Then the money is not only a 'investment'.

'Kickstarter' is now more a online shop without a guarantee that you get a product.
Kickstarter gets a big chunk out of what has been 'funded' without doing anything at all. Just host a website. If they were more like they were in the beginning 'Kickstarting new businesses' and not 'Kickstarting a new product for a existing business' their ploicies would be more honest. Now they do not check anything and are not responsible for anything. In my book you would then not get anything as hosting a website does not cost hundreds of millions of dollars. For that kind of money they should offer more certainty for the 'products' they help to sell.
There are to many scams and the only way to get kickstater do anything about it is to just boycot it.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 08:42am 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hm... the hardware is great, but what is it that makes it more than just a small size PC?

http://rittle.org

--------------

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:09pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@ JohnS - Yes, not suitable for anything battery powered. It is more of a PC then anything else.

@ MicroBlocks - You make interesting points, and very valid ones. I had not thought about it along those lines. It would seem that Kickstarter has gone along the same lines as YouTube then, with big business now running it and not really caring what goes on with it, so long as they turn a profit with it. That's sad, if that is indeed the case, but your comments sound like it might be just that.

@ kiiid - Nothing at all. It IS just a really small PC, that's it.

I'm still interested in this thing. Not as a basis for any micro-controller project or other system like that, but simply from a Windoze workstation point of view.

It has a nice set of features, can run Windoze, is small, and cheap for what it is -that's what attracts me to it, anyway.

HankR

Posted: 08:00pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

[quote=kiiid]Hm... the hardware is great, but what is it that makes it more than just a small size PC? [/quote]
What makes it MUCH more is the inclusion of Arduino 101 functionality along with the x86. The Arduino 101 is itself a powerful imbedded uC.

Please read a little of the Kickstarter description to see what that means and also the Arduino website for specific info on Arduino 101.

Arduino 101

[quote=grogster]
@ kiiid - Nothing at all. It IS just a really small PC, that's it.

I'm still interested in this thing. Not as a basis for any micro-controller project or other system like that, but simply from a Windoze workstation point of view.

No, it is DEFINITELY NOT just a PC!

Okay of course to just use that PC part, but this is a combination of a low power imbedded uC (Arduino 101) and a PC and you're wasting all that circuitry just using it as a small PC.

The Arduino 101 controls the PC and has Bluetooth LE connectivity!!!!

This is a wonderful IOT machine. Please RTFMs.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Ahum, 'controls the PC'?

You mean it emulates a keyboard with not a single bit of feedback.
So the only way is to use timers and HOPE that the key send is actually on the right moment and the right application receives the keypress.
Oh yeah, it can also 'wakeup' the PC. Wow.

Is there a manual? Would like to read it.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 08:37pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm not really seeing it as IoT with that power consumption, consequent heat and at such cost. It's quite physically big, too.

Maybe I'd run Linux on it if I had a need for such a board, but not for IoT.

John

HankR

Posted: 09:05pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

JohnS said   I'm not really seeing it as IoT with that power consumption, consequent heat and at such cost. It's quite physically big, too.

John,

I know what you mean and I saw your previous about the high power usage.

About halfway down the long kickstarter page you'll see the heading "UDOO x86 IS IoT READY."

Then this:

"By exploiting the wireless interaction with UDOO BRICKS you'll get the ideal IoT control unit."

The implication is that the UDOO x86 is best used for a central processor for very low power IoT units signaling to the central control computer.

I'm with you in my enthusiasm for true low power, and feel that's one of the weaknesses of the Microchip uC used in the Micromites. The sleep is a bit of a power hog.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 09:22pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I feel I should just mention that the reason I posted the thread, was NOT to say this board would be good for any particular situation or application. I posted the thread, cos I was quite impressed with the features of the board and price, and in MY case, I was looking at it from a Windoze PC point of view, and never as any kind of controller.

I like small PC's - the smaller, the better.

So, my interest is in the fact that it can run Windoze, and has a quad-core 2.2GHz processor with 4GB dual-channel RAM for the 'Advanced' model - a very capable workstation machine for the size and price.

While I mention size, JohnS - I am intrigued by your saying it is quite physically big. I think it is totally the opposite for a complete PC system. To me, 120 x 85 is TINY for a complete 2GHz+ quad-core PC platform with everything you need to run Windoze on it. From the point of view of using it for something embedded - if that's what you were getting at - then yes, it is bigger then many other options such as our much loved MM or MM+ chips. Having said that though, even for embedded applications running a full Linux or Windoze, this is pretty small compared to the competition, and definitely would win in the speed race against the likes of the Pi2 or Pi3 - if speed is what you need. My 2c only.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 09:58pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Sure, it's an interesting board (assuming it ships, as I guess it will).

If/when someone gets one I'd be interested in benchmarks and how hot it gets when running a heavy load and such as can it sensibly run in a fanless case.

John

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 10:21pm 29 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Once it ships in December (7-8 motnhs from now) the change is very big you can order similar from aliexpress/ebay for the same price or cheaper and have a guarantee you get a product.

kiiid

Guru

Posted: 03:07am 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I should say I find this toy a much more interesting one, than a faceless modern stiff PC

http://rittle.org

--------------

HankR

Posted: 04:00am 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote   Once it ships in December (7-8 months from now) the change is very big you can order similar from aliexpress/ebay for the same price or cheaper and have a guarantee you get a product.

Their last board, UDOO NEO BASIC, is already carried and in stock at Mouser for $53.

Can you find similar on aliexpress/ebay for less? For $27 or less I'd be tempted to buy from a less reliable source like they (ali/ebay) are.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:17am 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yeah, I was reading a little about the NEO board. Not that I plan to get that one, but as they have a history of producing the goods, I don't think I need to worry about it being a scam. Hopefully!

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:11am 30 Apr 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am not suggesting that it is some form of scam, although kickstarter and indiegogo have their share of them.

It is just that you pay an amount and 6-7 months later you MIGHT receive a REWARD.
In my opinion this is just a product from an existing company so why use kickstarter (rhetorical question)?

Most companies i know will promote it on their own website, mail their existing customers and let social media/blogs/advertisements do their thing.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024