Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:48 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : MPLAB X Versions.

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 01:05pm 06 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Finally received my Pickit 3, (34 day delivery...).

Went to download the software & noted it's about 550Meg (Version 3.26).

Geoff's page about programming PICs mentions it installs a lot of unnecessary stuff & I notice his example is using Version 2.26.

He also mentions that all really needed is the "MPLAB IPE".

Noticed there is a stack of archived version on the site and just after an opinion on what's best to install?

As long as it's easy & does the basic job.

Just go with the latest version or do others have preference for an earlier version.

MPLAB X IDE

Only think I've ever flashed before is the old WRT-54G's that were crippled at on stage & needed firmware loaded via the J-Tag header & a home brewed parallel port adaptor, (if I recall correctly.

Thanks

Phil.

(Have the SnadPic & a few 28 Pinners).

Thanks

Phil

WarwickG

Posted: 03:00pm 06 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phil
Google MPLAB IPE download it is all that is needed with Pickit3 and is uptodate with current pic micros. Several site show it as a separate download to MPLAB IDE Chhers WarwickG

Justplayin

Guru

Posted: 04:20pm 06 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil,

Go ahead and load the current MPLAB IDE from Microchip as it includes the IPE with it. Also check out this thread in order to verify your PIC writes.

This is the important bit from bigmik:
  Quote  Under Settings select Release from RESET
then select HOLD in RESET

--Curtis
I am not a Mad Scientist...  It makes me happy inventing new ways to take over the world!!

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 02:17am 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hmmm,
Not getting a result yet.

Any suggestions on this error.

Connecting to MPLAB PICkit 3...

Currently loaded firmware on PICkit 3
Firmware Suite Version.....01.41.07
Firmware type..............PIC32MX

Programmer to target power is enabled - VDD = 3.300000 volts.
Target device PIC32MX170F256B found.
Device ID Revision = A2
2016-05-07T22:09:09+1000- Programming...

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x3ffff
boot config memory
configuration memory

Device Erased...

Programming...
Failed to program device
Selected device and target: memory mismatch.
2016-05-07T22:09:15+1000- Programming failed
Pass Count: 0

Thanks

Phil

piclover

Posted: 07:13am 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It happens whenever the programming pins are (excessively) loaded by other devices/components than the PICkit: are those (pin 4 and 5) connected to anything but a 2K+ resistor or other IC input pin (especially capacitors, low impedance loads such as a LED, another IC output pin, etc) ?...
If the answer is yes, then you can't program the PIC in-circuit unless you can disconnect the offending load (I usually use the MM pins 4 and 5 as outputs, or connected to a load that hooks to the board via a connector, and can therefore be disconnected during reprogramming of the PIC).Edited by piclover 2016-05-08

cosmic frog

Posted: 09:10am 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I find I have to unplug the PicKit3 and plug it back in a couple of times before it will decide to work. Sometimes just closing the software down and re-opening it works as well.

Dave.Edited by cosmic frog 2016-05-08

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:49am 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

piclover said   It happens whenever the programming pins are (excessively) loaded by other devices/components than the PICkit: are those (pin 4 and 5) connected to anything but a 2K+ resistor or other IC input pin (especially capacitors, low impedance loads such as a LED, another IC output pin, etc) ?...

It was just a bare MX170 plugged into a bread board & connections to the programmer made with 10cm jump leads.

Absolutely no other components.

I was powering it from the Pickit3 with the "Power Target from tool" option,
and it seems that was the issue.

Plugged a 3.3/5.0 volt module in and it programmed fine.

Thanks.

Chris Roper

Posted: 08:15pm 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

MPLAB X and PICKit3 were the beginning of the decline for Microsoft, especially in terms of ease of use.

Cheers
Chris

http://caroper.blogspot.com/

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You still need a capacitor on the VCAP pin.

Having a more powerful power supply can mitigate the need.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 08:30pm 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Phil,

I was about to reply to power externally with 3v3.. but I see you have worked it out (deselect power the device though so there is no problem with two power sources fighting each other...

I have only ONCE got a NanoMite to program using the PK3 power source..

But mine is a clone. Maybe the genuine PK3 is better in that regard.

I now always supply external power..

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

piclover

Posted: 09:17pm 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

cosmic frog said   I find I have to unplug the PicKit3 and plug it back in a couple of times before it will decide to work.

Yes, it happens too. In fact it depends on the order in which the PIC and the PICKit3 are powered up. To ensure reliable comms between the two at the first try, I now proceed as follow:
- I power up the PIC.
- I stop its BASIC program if it was running and issue a NEW (to reset program and all the pins to unconfigured state).
- I unplug in the PICKit3 from the PC USB port if it was connected.
- I plug the PICKit3 into the ICSP connector of the board with the PIC to program.
- I plug the PICKit3 into the PC USB port and let it initialize fully (watch its LEDs, and wait for the red one to light off).
- I start MPLAB IPE and/or "Connect" from it.

Chris Roper said   MPLAB X and PICKit3 were the beginning of the decline for Microsoft, especially in terms of ease of use.

This time (and for once ), it got nothing to do with Micro$oft... I'm using MPLAB X under Linux here. and you could also use it under MacOS-X. It's a Java application.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 09:20pm 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Until i made my own programmer i always used the PK3 to program the chips directly.
I put a ZIF socket on a piece of board and only connected a cap on the VCAP pin.
Without the cap, 80% failure, with it never a failure.

Once in a circuit things can get more difficult. A cap/diode/resistor on one of the programming lines can really mess things up. With the PK3 you get a poster that has the requirements on it.
Follow that and no problems.

Microblocks. Build with logic.

Chris Roper

Posted: 10:00pm 07 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Chris Roper said   MPLAB X and PICKit3 were the beginning of the decline for Microsoft, especially in terms of ease of use.

piclover said  This time (and for once ), it got nothing to do with Micro$oft... I'm using MPLAB X under Linux here. and you could also use it under MacOS-X. It's a Java application.

Yes, I meant Microchip of course but Microblocks had already posted so I could no longer edit my post to correct it.

I still primarily use the PICKit2 and have an ICD3 in my top draw for stubborn problems. PICKit3 generaly sits in PICKit2 Emulation mode on my desk.

Cheers
Chris
Edited by Chris Roper 2016-05-09
http://caroper.blogspot.com/

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024