Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 23:07 04 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Getting Started with SnadPic

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 01:19am 11 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi all,

Continuing from my long winded post about the SnadPic, the screen and the fact that I ordered one with an 8Meg crystal, changed the crystal, waited 5 weeks for the programmer to arrive, etc, etc.

I've finally got to the point where I've added a pin header & tried to program it.
Software Detected the Pic as being present & programed it successfully.

What next?

Should the on-board USB port be automatically able to connect to MMbasic?
OR do I need to connect an external USB interface like a CP2102 to it.

At the moment it doesn't do anything when I plug it into the USB port; as in no com port appears in device manager.

I'm assuming the crystal is working Ok, but is there a way I can verify that by looking for a waveform somewhere?

Thanks

Phil.

JohnS
Guru

Posted: 02:24am 11 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Well, what exact software did you flash in?

Probably there's no USB support.

Check voltage levels of any CP2102-type device but also you can figure the uart pins from the MMBasic manual as I recall.

John

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 02:38am 11 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Flashed it with MMbasic 5.1.

Actually have a 2nd one here that I ordered with the correct crystal on it & I can see the 20Meg crystal running on the scope, which is not the case with the original one that I changed the crystal on.

It still has the 32k Crystal installed & I can see it running.

Might need to check the board again.
Someone else mentioned in the previous post I made that a few caps might need changing too.

Not sure if I'm actually seeing a very weak signal at the chip or not on the first one; bit rugged working in the lounge room to be 100$ sure.

The 2nd one definitely has a very strong signal from the rock though.

Appears in device manager though as two devices,

Not a Com port, but then it only is loaded with the supplied bootloader.
Have not flashed it yet.

Phil.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:57am 11 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

You probably need the Silicon Chip driver for the USB port.
Paul.

Edit.... Just checked my SnadPic shows up in Device Manager as Silicon Chip Serial Port. The Driver is available on Geoff's web site.
PaulEdited by palcal 2016-05-12
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

plover

Guru

Posted: 02:50am 12 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil23
Regarding your Device Manager entry under Human Interfaces Devices
  Quote  HID compliant device

If you want to track down more details on a device that does not reveal itself easily the following.

Double click on the item > Details Tab > First or second line, this will look a bit confusing perhaps. I don't have a windows machine running just now so following is from memory and a note I have here. I have had a refresher course in some Windows work involving checking out devices with no clear naming.

The line you are looking for holds something like the following, the order is important, the VEN entry first then the DEV entry:

[quote]..VEN8086DEV3B64..[/quote]

This is a real example of a USB device, I write down the two sets of four hex characters 8086:3B64 then I google this. In this case the top hit gave me the following line, from which I could guess it had nothing to do with my USB analogue to Digital converter I was using for VHS tape digitising.

[qoute]8086 3b64 = Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI) Driver ...[/quote]

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 11:10am 12 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

plover said  
Regarding your Device Manager entry under Human Interfaces Devices
HID compliant device.

The line you are looking for holds something like the following, the order is important, the VEN entry first then the DEV entry:[Quote]
..VEN8086DEV3B64..[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for the reminder.

That's a procedure I'm very familiar with, used it on may occasions over the years,
but didn't come to mind regards this issue.

Particularly useful in the case where devices identify themselves as VEN0000DEV0000.

Have seen this on may occasion with Chinese sourced devices where the interface is included in what looks like a regular Mini USB cable, usual practice for me is to just plug them into one of the USB leads permanently sitting on my desk, & then starts the "Unknown Device" scenario.

Cheers

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 12:22pm 12 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Phil,
Run the attached program and see what info it gives when you insert and remove the device.
It is intended for 'working' devices but there may be some useful info.
2016-05-12_222203_USBactivity.zip

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:16pm 12 May 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

More info.
The device should be powered externally and power applied before connecting the USB.
Every time you do a rest of the device, the USB will disconnect and reconnect. This upsets most terminal programs.

It is easier to work with an external USB-TTL adapter which stays active during reboots.

If you are using Windows10, the Microsoft drivers work well.
All other versions of Windows need the Silicon Chip driver.

The output from my USBactivity program when the device is plugged in for the first time (no driver loaded)
  Quote  WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL
Device Change Info dbcp_name : COM6
WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE

Once the driver has loaded (without any intervention from me) the device is recognized much quicker
  Quote  WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL
WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE 7
WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE

If I try to power the device from USB - no responce.

If you are using the SC driver, you will only get the 'WM_DEVICECHANGE 7' messages

Jim

VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024