Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 04:01 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Where should the pullup resistors be?

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 05:13pm 14 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I will be using 14 DS18B20 temperature sensors and 2 hall effect water flow sensors as data sources for my geothermal heat pump controller. The sensors will be up to 80 feet from the E100 board. The sensor wiring will go through breakout boards about 15 feet from the E100 board. All of the sensors will be powered by 5v, none will use phantom power.

I can conveniently place the pullup resistors on a breakout board next to the E100 or on the subsidiary breakout boards 15 feet from the E100. It would be inconvenient to locate the pullup resistors at or near the sensors which will be strapped to pipes, outside of the house, or possibly even buried in the ground.

Does anyone have any idea if the sensor performance will be degraded depending on the physical location of the pullup resistors?

Paul in NY

DaveC166

Posted: 10:05am 15 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Paul, back in 2010,I was having problems with DS18B20's giving false readings on 15 meters of cable attached to a Picaxe 28X2. I was advised on Picaxe forum to reduce the pullup resistor value and have the pullup resistor close to the picaxe. This mitigates cable capacitance.
The DS18b20's have been running ok with 3.0K ohm pullups attached to a UMITE for 3 years

Paul_L
Guru

Posted: 04:29pm 16 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Dave. I sort of figured that line capacitance might produce some pretty extreme exponential rise times but I wasn't sure. When the sensor pulls the line down its internal impedance should be much lower than the impedance of the pullup resistor so an exponential drop time would probably be less noticeable.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024