Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 07:18 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : GUI Line?

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:49pm 20 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi.

I often want to underline text in a menu on an GUI page.
At the moment, I am just using the LINE command to directly draw the line, but with GUI programming, EVERYTHING is supposed to be a declared GUI element - such as using GUI CAPTION for text.

Is this likely to cause problems later?

Is there any way to correctly deal with underlining captions in a GUI?
Could this be added by way of a Cfunction or other?

I guess I could use an underline font, but the underline is a different colour to that of the caption text it is under, so that won't really be idea either.

Any suggestions or input at this point would be great, as I don't REALLY want to use any standard drawing commands when setting up my GUI pages, as that is considered a no-no, but I still want my underlining..........
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 07:40pm 20 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have not tried it, but will GUI Display Box accept a height of 1 or 2. to give you a line.

From the manual:

Display Box
GUI DISPLAYBOX #ref, StartX, StartY, Width, Height, FColour, BColour
This will draw a box with rounded corners. Any text can be displayed in the box by using the CtrlVal(r) =
command. This is useful for displaying text, numbers and messages. This control does not respond to touch.

Latest F4 Latest H7

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:01pm 20 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Worth a try - I will look into it.

EDIT: Nope. Invalid. Minimum is 16, which is way too big. If anyone else has any ideas here....

At the end of the day, I can - and will - just put the main menu title inside a display box and deal with it that way. There will be no underlining in that case, but I would rather play by the GUI rules then end up with a mixture of GUI and standard drawing commands which might cause problems later.

So, this is a low-priority thread in other words.....Edited by Grogster 2016-12-22

disco4now

Guru

Posted: 08:36pm 20 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

What about a 17 high display box in the background colour over the top of the 16 high display box, just leaving the bottom line not overwritten.
Latest F4 Latest H7

Geoffg

Guru

Posted: 09:05pm 20 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This is something missing in the MM+. There needs to be some way to draw lines, etc under GUI control so that they are dimmed when a number/text box pops up.

On my todo list.

Geoff
Geoff Graham - http://geoffg.net

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 10:36am 22 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grog,

Have you tried mixing Basic & advanced graphics?
I know it's not recommended, but I've played with it a bit with good results.

Just needed to have a few checks in place, to trap for the conflicts.

From memory, CLS & GUI Show All & some basic graphics refreshes.

There's some of the code in this post.

Cheers

Phil.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:59am 22 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Grogs,
Haven't tried this but could you use font tweak to make the underlined characters you need.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 02:28pm 22 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi there.

@ Phil23 - YES, that DOES work, but I am loathe to use it, as generally speaking, it is a no-no to mix GUI elements and standard graphics elements if you want a trouble-free GUI experience. I know that this can and does cause LOTS of issues, as my first experiments did exactly that, and the GUI would get corrupted and all sorts of horrible things went on, so this time around, I have learned from that mistake, and am coding the GUI system in entirely GUI controlled elements - no mix and match.

I am happy enough with DISPLAYBOX. It does the job, and a displaybox around the main menu at the top looks better then a simple underline once you look at it more then once or twice.

@ Paul - Yeah, I thought of using an underline font at one point too, but now that I have decided to go with the displaybox concept, I'm happy enough.

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 11:04am 23 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Just a thought,
GUI's usually have a convention where the screen elements (active controls) are
dimmed if deactivated (not applicable), normal if applicable, and enhanced when they are the focus point. Menus, and menu items, as well..a lot of work to implement but worth it.
Underlining doesn't seem to be used much, the early web used it for hypertext instead, so maybe that was the issue

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024