Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 00:25 03 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Override Textbox and Numberbox Keyboard

sawasdee01

Posted: 09:34pm 25 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone has found a way to override the Textbox and / or Numberbox keyboard? I am trying to make a sort of bespoke time entry control, where HH:MM can be set to arbitrary lower and upper limits. Currently, I have a page full of Textboxes, with different times in each Textbox, using the HH:MM format.

The best solution that I have come up with, so far, is to throw up a new page with HH and MM spin boxes on it - but I need to be able to prevent a keyboard from appearing, when the originating Textbox is touched. I have tried intercepting the Textbox in an interrupt routine, but it seems that the keyboard is already well underway, by the time that the interrupt is entered.

Best wishes to all and Happy Boxing Day

Gizmo

Admin Group

Posted: 05:02pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi sawasdee

I think you need to be more specific. I suspect your writing a app for a smart phone or tablet, but not sure.

What platform, device, development language?

Glenn
The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago, the second best time is right now.
JAQ

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 05:12pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I think he/she is referring to a MM+ of either 64-pin or 100-pin flavour, but I don't think that what he/she is wanting to do is possible.

Please do correct me if I am wrong.

He/she seems to be wanting to PREVENT the virtual QWERTY keyboard from appearing on the screen, when he/she touches the textbox GUI element, which I don't think can be done, because the virtual keyboard coming up is inherent to the way in which that GUI control works. Same thing as asking for the numeric keypad NOT to show up if you touch a numberbox GUI element.

Perhaps sawasdee can be more specific as to why exactly he/she would want that not to happen, as that is the whole point of the easy to use GUI elements......

More details would be nice.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

sawasdee01

Posted: 06:07pm 26 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogster,

You are 'spot on' with your assessment of the situation and apologies for not mentioning that it was MM+ to which I referred.

As is often the case with forums, I discovered a way of achieving what I needed, shortly after posting - but many thanks to both Glenn and Grogster for their interest.

For completeness, I have attempted to respond to the questions raised by Grogster, below:-

There are a few reasons for not wishing to use the conventional QWERTY keyboard in this instance. Primarily, they boil down to the wish to provide a very tailored data entry of HH:MM eg via dual spin boxes (one for HH and one for MM), with a pre-defined start time and limits for the maximum and minimum time values.

Initially, these would be presented on the touchscreen as table of Textboxes - eg

Start 12:30 Finish 14:10
Start 15:15 Finish 15:45

When a Start or Finish time is selected by 'clicking' on the associated time (eg 15:15 in the example above), a new screen would appear, showing the 2 spin boxes, pre-populated with the selected Start time. The spin box logic would be used to ensure that the Start time could not be less than the previous Finish time (see 14:10 and 15:00, above).

Maybe, the best way to think about this, is to imagine setting a clock on an oven.

It would seem that there is a way forward for this, with the new GUI AREA feature in MM+ 5.3, which would presumably allow either a DISPLAYBOX or a CAPTION to be made touch sensitive, thereby obviating the need for overriding the keyboard. This is at the slight expense of using more of the max 100 graphical objects.

It would be brilliant if DISPLAYBOX could be made touch sensitive.

Best wishes to all.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024