Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 20:30 18 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : If you HAVE to mix GUI and standard....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 04:56pm 27 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks.

The next part of the code I am writing, is to have a menu where you can enter in the name of a logfile, and it will read it and show it on the screen.

LINE INPUT is made for this task, but that would mean standard TEXT commands for showing the lines from the logfile on the LCD, and two GUI buttons for page control(MORE and EXIT).

The TEXT commands and GUI controls would NOT overlap on the screen, but I don't have enough GUI elements left to make up a whole screen list full of CAPTION commands to list the logfile details, so am planning to use TEXT instead.

Just how much of a no-no is this in the grand scheme of things?

If version 5.3 of the MM+ firmware will have more GUI elements available, then I could still code for this now ahead of time - which would be the preferred way to deal with it - but how far off is the release of 5.3 does anyone know?
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

matherp
Guru

Posted: 10:18pm 27 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  Just how much of a no-no is this in the grand scheme of things?

I haven't found mixing a major issue. The only thing needed is to have a redraw function for the non-GUI elements that is called when you get the penup interrupt from text and number boxes or if needed on page changes. Note there is a bug in penup on 5.2 but this is fixed in the 5.3 beta released by GeoffEdited by matherp 2016-12-29

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 12:32am 28 Dec 2016
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

OK, cool, thanks.
I will proceed along the lines of text and a couple of GUI buttons for these screens only then.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 12:39pm 21 May 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

matherp said  
  Quote  Just how much of a no-no is this in the grand scheme of things?

I haven't found mixing a major issue. The only thing needed is to have a redraw function for the non-GUI elements that is called when you get the penup interrupt from text and number boxes or if needed on page changes. Note there is a bug in penup on 5.2 but this is fixed in the 5.3 beta released by Geoff

Just back on this, the element mixing.
While I'd had no issues with my Tabbed Screens I did discover another trap.

That code was running unchanged, unfinished on both 5.2 & 5.3 for ages.
No display issues or corruption. Just worked fine.

Then I broke it a bit.

I decided I'd make the GUI LED's blink on coms rather than just toggle state.

When I made the LED flash under the GUI, I started getting a bit of text corruption around them.

Basically I think the GUI was sometimes repositioning the cursor co-ordinates mid way thru writing a TEXT string on odd occasions when the LED turned off.

Returned them to the toggling code & it was fine again.

Phil.

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024