Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:17 17 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Quick(i hope) Windoze question....

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 01:01pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi folks.

I have posted this question on the PC Guide Forums, but I have not received any replies at all, and as this forum is very active, I was hoping someone might be able to help with a weird Windoze 8 problem I am having on a buddy's laptop.

You can pop over and read the post on the PCG forum here.

Has anyone here seen that kind of thing on their PC's?

All the google searching just results in how to turn the icons back on again, but nothing about the problem of them being gone at bootup DESPITE the Show Desktop Icons option being ticked.....

So strange.

I clean-installed this machine for him using brand new hardware, so I doubt there is any issue there, or with a corrupted install or virus or anything like that, as he's only had it a couple of months since I built it for him.

The latest problem now in addition to this, is that his scanner keeps vanishing and he has to unplug it and plug it back in for Windoze to see it again - but it periodically just disappears even though he has not unplugged it's USB or power - that's another odd one.

As THIS forum also describes "PC's" in the description, I would love anyone's take or anything they might be able to suggest on this one, cos no-one at all has replied on the PCG forums. I don't normally post computer problem threads here, and won't make a habit of it, but there are many clever people here who might have a hint as to why this is going on, or better yet, may have actually seen this problem themselves and can perhaps throw some light on it.
Smoke makes things work. When the smoke gets out, it stops!

panky

Guru

Posted: 01:09pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

G,

Are you using a standard "Theme" in your windows8? Themes can affect how desktop items are displayed or if they are displayed or altered.

Just a thought,
cheers,
panky

Edit: As an aside, 7 or 7 pro or 10 may be a better alternative than 8 from what I can read - MS tried to be too tricky by half with the new desktop in 8. I ended up using StartMenu8 to give me a "normal" widows desktop and that seems stable.Edited by panky 2017-01-26
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

BobD

Guru

Posted: 01:17pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Grogs. It's possible that the icon cache is corrupted. Have a look at this Google search.
https://www.google.com.au/#newwindow=1&safe=off&q=windows+8+desktop+icon+fix
Bob

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 03:05pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Crikey. Posted the thread a few hours ago, and already a couple of replies and almost twice the views the other fourm thread has had in a month!

Good idea on the icon cache - never thought of that at all, so I will do that as a first step and see what happens. Thanks guys, and any other comments are still welcomed.

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 03:29pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This might be interesting reading.
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2599476

Be warned - a lot of posters there know a lot less than they think they do.

Jim
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

atmega8

Guru

Posted: 07:08pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

This fixes the problem:

http://www.winability.com/repair-windows-desktop-icon-cache/

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 07:53pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

panky said  MS tried to be too tricky by half with the new desktop in 8. I ended up using StartMenu8 to give me a "normal" widows desktop and that seems stable.

Second that thought. Just couldn't live with the 8 interface on what's only a rarely touched weather PC here.

In my case I loaded Classic Shell , giving it a Win7 type interface.

I'm sure your friend wouldn't complain...

Phil.

PS, I've been know to install & then remove it at times when working on customer's PC's; preferring to get to a real interface, especially control panel etc related.

Grogster

Admin Group

Posted: 08:23pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi. Thanks guys, yes, already have Classic Shell on this laptop, so there is no bloody awful Metro GUI.

I hope to collect his laptop in the next few days, so I am eager to try the icon cache fix. I will post the results. Hope, hope......

lew247

Guru

Posted: 11:59pm 25 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Windows 10 is much more stable than Win 8, and it has a proper start menu if you want it too
There is a way to still get win 10 for free (if you want it)
Turn one of the accessability features on (magnifying glass for example) then go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade
and it will give you Windows 10 for free
Once it's installed turn the accessability feature off again

Lewis

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024