Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 21:10 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : WhiteWizard extreme cases

retepsnikrep

Posted: 07:08am 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I'm eagerly awaiting one of Wwizards new extreme modules and have my 7" lcd ready to attach.

Now this makes a nice neat setup, but do we have a case or any ideas for one for it?

Cases for projects can be problematical I know. But with such a nice and powerful bit of kit it deserves a nice slim case.. Possibly 3d printed?

Perhaps I have missed a thread on this..

Gen1 Honda Insights.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 08:21am 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I am still seeking something nice for the 7" TFT 'stack' but have not found anything yet that could be suitable, especially at a 'reasonable' cost.

I did have a nice ABS case shell for an early prototype of my School Computer but these are quite expensive, and then had to be custom assembled with the addition of laser-cut acrylic panels for front, back, and 'foot' (see below)

I reckon a 3D printed enclosure is ok - but I do not have access to one to 'design' such an enclosure. From what I have seen of 3D stuff, it is still a bit 'grainy'.

Layered acrylic panels can work well IF you have access to a laser cutter. Stacking these upon each other creates the depth required to fully enclose the 'MMX Module'.

Finally, a thin sheet of HIPs plastic (cut on a vinyl cutter' can make a very nice front panel which can then 'cover over' the TFT boundary which could be mounted in a 'standard case'.

Lastly, I do have a very nice wall-mounted (or handheld) case for a 4.3" TFT. This is work in progress and I will be revealing more once I have received my 4.3" TFTs ordered back in December (they're still on a slow boat somewhere). Unfortunately this enclosure is not available for a 7" TFT but I may well enquire with the manufacturer again to see if I can twist their arm. Minimum order qty is 100 though!

WW

For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Phil23
Guru

Posted: 09:39am 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I did have a Google Images search for "sloped project boxes" good search a while back & found a few.
No Links saved unfortunately.

Few examples:-

And a even further down the page, a slightly different variation:-

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:54am 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Nice pair of TFTs there in the centre!
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

Lou

Posted: 10:40am 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Yes,

I like the dual layered approach in the center.

Lou
Microcontrollers - the other white meat

TassyJim

Guru

Posted: 04:29pm 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Altronics have a sloping case which might do the job

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/h0400-134lx189wx55hmm-sloping-abs-desk-mount-box/

I managed to fit a 7inch display into one with a bit of creative butchery. I am using an explore64 on a flexible lead with the display. I still have to make a front bezel for it but as it works without, it might be a while before I get around to the bezel.

Other boards fitting will depend on the actual size of the board.

The part No is H0400. There is also the H0401 which has the display vertical.

I wasn't able to find the same case on ebay.

Jim
Edited by TassyJim 2017-01-28
VK7JH
MMedit   MMBasic Help

MikeO

Posted: 05:55pm 26 Jan 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

T am happy to cut some bezels (by CNC) for commercial boxes for displays, which i frequently do for my own projects. like this, sorry the Cad screen grab wasn't so graet but i guess you will get the idea.

Mike

Codenquilts

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024