Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 22:18 16 May 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Sil Chip Feb 17 Analog Clock

panky

Guru

Posted: 12:13pm 02 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

For anyone interested in the article in the Feb 17 Silicon Chip re driving an analogue clock accurately using GPS, the following code snippit using a 170 uMite and MM Basic works the same as in the article. This is just the clock driving bit for fun.

' mmbasic version of quartz clock driver in sil chip feb 17
' drive 170 with 2 AA cells and connect clock solonoid between
' centre tap of AA cells and output pin on 170

SetPin 4,off ' hi Z state
Do
SetPin 4,dout ' enable pin
Pin(4) = 1 ' set to get current thru solonoid
Pause 40 ' for 40 mS
SetPin 4,off ' then back to hi Z
Pause 960 ' wait for next second
SetPin 4,dout ' enable pin again
Pin(4)=0 ' set lo to drive solonoid the other way
Pause 40 ' for 40 mS then
SetPin 4,off ' pin back to hi Z
Pause 960 ' wait another second then do it all over again
Loop

Oscilloscope display looks exactly the same as in the article.

Cheers,
Doug.
... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

paceman
Guru

Posted: 03:41pm 02 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I wondered about that Doug, but then I thought, sod it, I'll put theirs together anyway otherwise I'll spend ages putting it onto some stripboard! I'll have the board, PIC16 and low volts DC-DC here in a couple of days (should have the rest already) so I'll give it a go both ways.

I think that project's a good idea; same longevity of ordinary cheap battery to the usual quartz clock (that everyone's got), but with GPS accurate time and daylight saving added to boot! I see Geoff did the software for them - where does he get the time!! - no pun intended.

Greg

P.S. never could convince my good lady to allow a nice digital Micromite in the living room.Edited by paceman 2017-02-04

panky

Guru

Posted: 06:27pm 02 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@paceman

I couldn't resist giving it a try - as I have 'mites of all shades coming out my ears, herself is starting to question "When are you going to DO something with them?" to which I generally try, with a puzzled look on my face, to seem confused by the question! It's wearing thin I think

BTW, any shedders around the South Coast NSW way - would love to get together.
Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:41pm 02 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It is ANOTHER old article re hashed. I built the original I think it was 5 or 6 years ago.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

paceman
Guru

Posted: 01:54am 03 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It was March and November 2009 apparently Paul (bottom page 30), so I guess it is nearly eight years. They say the boards for those 'old projects' are no longer available but that's a choice they make and presumably they could re-order the same board. It wouldn't have both the 'step' and 'sweep' option that's available on the same board now though.

I started subscribing in May 2009 so didn't see the March article but I've just checked the Nov issue and see that it was Geoff that authored that article, and presumably the software, as also he is credited with in the current article (it uses the same processor). That would mean that the other two authors given for the current article, John Clarke (for design) and Nick Vinen (for words) presumably wouldn't have had to put in a lot of original thought. Still, I guess we should cut them a bit of slack given it is just after the Xmas break.

The thing that worries me a lot more about Silicon Chip is Leo Simpson (the Editor and effective 'owner') and his ongoing political crusade against wind turbines and renewable power generation. Not only is it inappropriate in a hobby electronics magazine but in so many cases he's dead wrong and I resent having rubbish science and engineering presented as truth in a technical magazine. The long technical sounding letter that he published from Paul Miskelly (Dec '16) blaming the Sept South Australian power outage on wind generation was a doozie. Paul Miskelly is a well known, long standing opponent of wind energy who is regularly trotted out by the fossil lobby to give a 'learned' take on it. I've noted that there's been no mention in SC by Leo Simpson since the full AEMO (Aust. Energy Market Operator) report on the outage was published which fully exonerated wind turbines.

Greg

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:54am 03 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

It did have step and sweep, the sweep came out in the Nov. issue. I also agree with you about the Editor, quite frankly I am seriously considering cancelling my subscription. There is not a lot in the Mag. that interests me, besides the Micromite.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024