Home
JAQForum Ver 20.06
Active Topics
Local Time 06:28 28 Apr 2024 Privacy Policy
Jump to

Notice. New forum software under development. It's going to miss a few functions and look a bit ugly for a while, but I'm working on it full time now as the old forum was too unstable. Couple days, all good. If you notice any issues, please contact me.

Forum Index : Microcontroller and PC projects : Backpack 144 from WW

Page 2 of 2    
WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:23pm 25 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Looking good there PalCal

Just in case you've not noticed, I recommend adding the other 1uF cap in the power circuit. Also IF you're using an external PSU then try limit it to 7.5v max, and certainly add a heatsink on the 5v vReg if using external PSU.Edited by WhiteWizzard 2017-02-27
For everything Micromite visit micromite.org

Direct Email: whitewizzard@micromite.o

palcal

Guru

Posted: 10:48am 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks WW the other 1uf is on its way and I alway only use the minimum voltage possible to minimise heat dissipation.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 11:00am 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@palcal,

I just emailed you with that part number you were after

WW

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 01:53pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Thanks Bill and Paul,

I go by Radio Parts from time to time so next time I am passing that way I will drop in for some.

Kind Regards,

Mick
Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

palcal

Guru

Posted: 03:01pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I can't find any information on the 'MODE' button. I see it cycles from PROGRAMMER, MONITOR, CONFIG, USBSERIAL. Is there an explanation of it's use somewhere.
Paul.
"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all"

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 03:14pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@palcal

I have taken the following extract from Rob Rozee & Grogster's excellent Explore 28 Manual:

The 'MODE' button performs the following functions:

1. when in serial mode, a brief press will place the 1455 into ICSP mode. The status LED will
light and remain lit while in ICSP mode.

2. if in ICSP mode, a long press (2 seconds) will extinguish the status LED and return the 1455 to serial mode.

3. while in serial mode, a long press (2 seconds) will briefly flash the status LED and upon release of the SELECT button the 1455 will reset the MX170.

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 08:26pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Palcal,

If you see those messages you have my version 1.0 of the USB-Serial/Programmer.
The only two modes that are really doing something is 'USBSERIAL' and 'PROGRAMMER'.
If you also look at the LED that indicates the mode you will be able to know the mode it is in without the messages. Easy for when you are not connected with a terminal.

I had some extra functionality in mind and reserved a 'MONITOR' and 'CONFIG' mode. But because there is now a different version which respond a bit different the confusion starts. As i spend a lot of time getting it to work and perform without errors on all windows versions i could not completely open source it because i used the official Microchip USB library.
A few people thought that was unacceptable and made their own, rendering my version and work worthless. As such i have lost interest in most things that have to do with micromites as somehow making a little money to compensate for the investment in time, chips, tools etc is not appreciated.

I think you bought this version from BigMik, and i appreciate that as it does help and gives me hope.
Edited by MicroBlocks 2017-02-28
Microblocks. Build with logic.

palcal

Guru

Posted: 08:29pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Mine does not seem to operate like that, as I said it has 4 modes. I had trouble programming a new chip, kept getting the "Device does not match' so I used the chip I had in Peter's TFT Backback.
Which file am I supposed to load into the 1455, I'm trying to find my old PicProg programmer, never had any problems using that.
Looked for the Explore 28 manual with no success, TBS is getting very untidy there are bits of everything all over the place. We need a special place to keep code and manuals etc.
Paul.

WhiteWizzard
Guru

Posted: 09:47pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

@palcal,

I will email you in a short while with the very latest hex file that is required for the 1455 (and operates as per my post above).

Will laso confirm 'connections' to program the PIC1454/5 with just a PicKit

Give me an hour . . .

WW

bigmik

Guru

Posted: 11:41pm 26 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Hi Micro Blocks,

MicroBlocks said   I think you bought this version from BigMik, and i appreciate that as it does help and gives me hope.

That appears to be the version 1.0 of your chip which I do not believe I have onsold to anybody.. I reckon I have only sold the v1.1 U2SP chip.. I also went through my order emails and Paul hasn't, to the best of my record keeping, purchased a U2SP from me at all.

MicroBlocks said   As such i have lost interest in most things that have to do with micromites as somehow making a little money to compensate for the investment in time, chips, tools etc is not appreciated.

I am sorry to hear that Jean, I have been offering your U2SP (and paying you the agreed Royalty) as well as the Open Source one with no push or preferrence to either..

I just checked my tube and there are 7 PIC16f1454 left from the 25 I ordered (Plus 4 or 5 I bought from RS) so in total of both flavours, taking the 5 or so I have in my own Mites sitting around here, I reckon I have only sold 18 in total As a guess the spread would be 50% each way.. So I can assure you if there is any money being made from `mites it isn't by me..

I thought MuP3 with either your U2SP or the O/S one would have seen a real big run but in truth the 28pin market has about dried up.. I feel the 64 and up families have taken the user's choice awards the last 6-8 months.

Dinosaurs like me have to either change with the times or pack up.. In my case as I do NOT do this to make a profit it doesn't faze me all that much, except I always loved the little notes and posts on TBS like `MuP3 is great and I love it' and `My MuP is doing this...'

I have started on a MuP-100 but it wasnt as easy as I thought to get all I wanted in 50mm x 50mm and it would have to go to 50mm x 100mm to get all I want and then there are so many other options out there for people to chose from I do not think I will have any advantage over the others. So I do not want to re-invent the wheel

Kind Regards,

Mick

Mick's uMite Stuff can be found >>> HERE (Kindly hosted by Dontronics) <<<

MicroBlocks

Guru

Posted: 05:25am 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I have a bit the same feeling. The 28/44 pinners are a great solution for lots of projects.
The bigger one gets more and more functionality which is a great feat but for me personally (and a lot of others who i have met through the years managing a makerspace) not of so much interest because so much can be done just using a Pi or one of the many other options that are a lot cheaper, faster, more memory, inbuilt support for sd/hdmi, have more support, etc, etc.

The uMite is undeserved! still a very small niche and my efforts have to be more broader as i still need to make money to feed the kids. :)

Microblocks. Build with logic.

isochronic
Guru

Posted: 11:05am 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

Quote  The 28/44 pinners are a great solution for lots of projects

Quote  still a very small niche

I agree, the hype implies a lot more than the actual. I now think
the aim was mainly conflation, and TBS has a degree of honeypot about it.

Most times, after sending pcbs or software to people - usually at their
request, and my expense - there is not so much as the courtesy of an acknowledgement or receipt, let alone actual feedback. A follow up usually
get excuses.. a waste of time really.

robert.rozee
Guru

Posted: 11:07am 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

palcal said  
Looked for the Explore 28 manual with no success, TBS is getting very untidy there are bits of everything all over the place. We need a special place to keep code and manuals etc.
Paul.

see:
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9348 (thread)
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/uploads/robertrozee/2017-02-23_120846_E-28_blurb.pdf (direct link to PDF)
for the current 3-page E-28 manual.

and:
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8903&TPN=2 (thread)
http://www.thebackshed.com/forum/uploads/robertrozee/2017-02-08_134027_1455_v1.18_inc_ds30.zip (direct link to ZIP containing .hex file)
for the latest (1.18) binary image - source code is in thread.

cheers,
rob :-)

lizby
Guru

Posted: 12:11pm 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

chronic said  
  Quote  The 28/44 pinners are a great solution for lots of projects

Quote  still a very small niche

I agree, the hype implies a lot more than the actual. I now think
the aim was mainly conflation, and TBS has a degree of honeypot about it.

Agree with the first two quotes, don't understand either "conflation" or "honeypot".

As the i/o for the newer micromites begins to look more and more like the back of a PC motherboard, I tend to think it's overkill for my needs--but others have different needs, and more power (literally) to them.

Got my appetite whetted, though. I'd like to see an Extreme-44 like the Extreme-28. I wouldn't hold out a hope that anyone would get rich off of it.

BigMic--still just playing, but I love what can be done with the MuPv3. Like this xmas tree. Thanks to White Wizzard for pointing me in this direction.

Lance
Edited by lizby 2017-02-28
PicoMite, Armmite F4, SensorKits, MMBasic Hardware, Games, etc. on fruitoftheshed

panky

Guru

Posted: 04:10pm 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

With the greatest respect to others and with no intention of starting a flame war, I have to disagree with those who respond with "...but The Rasberry Pie is cheaper, faster, on the web .... etc, etc".

From my own perspective, they fit in two quite seperate catagories with only minimal crossover - the Pie is fast, web enabled with a large user base. It can handle very complex programs with its large memory space. In my humble opinion, it's limitations are that it is already built with little or no information on the underlying engine, it requires programs to be written in C or some other higher level language, it has limited I/O (compared to the MM) and has a more complex program development cycly than the MM.

Again, it is just my view, but I believe the MM is a true hobbyist package, from a pure beginner learning to program a led switching on and off (a 28 pin 170, a capacitor, 2 resistors and an led, a power pack and a serial link to any terminal program) to the dedicated hobbyist building from scratch, a 470 MM+ or MMX to drive multiple displays, relays, comms etc. and recieve input from a wide range of sensors, some built in and some created. .....and then display results on a range of display devices with complex graphics and user interface, all built in - no libraries etc unless you want them.

Is it a niche device? Sure, but then I believe that is exactly what Geoff had in mind when he developed it way back when. The latest MM+ and MMX are a far cry from the original Maximite and the MMBasic language has evolved hugely since those times. By any rational argument, it is now a powerful user friendly programming environment. Platforms designed by Geoff, Graham, Peter, CG, Mick, Jean, Kon and others show just how versatile it can be.

I seriously doubt that Geoff developed the MM with the view of someone else making a fortune out of it but if folks can create boards/systems and give appropriate credits/approvals, making enough to feed their own hobby (habit ) doesn't seem to be a bad thing in my eyes.

I like TBS 'cause I'm preaching to the choir - if I wanted to be a MM zealot, I would go and be a missionary on a Pie forum - but I love my MM toys and have managed to actually have them do usefull things but that is not the primary goal. I play with them because they are fun and make me think and learn.

*** End of rant *** sorry to have wasted anyones time.
Regards to all 'shedders,
Doug.

... almost all of the Maximites, the MicromMites, the MM Extremes, the ArmMites, the PicoMite and loving it!

Zonker

Guru

Posted: 04:57pm 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

TOTALLY Agree Doug..!!

If it wasn't for TBS and the just AWESOME things that have been done here, I wouldn't have the time (investment) to do any of the things and total fun and learning I have done... I use to write in ASM... You could do it, but Yikes..!

MMBasic is an easy to use subsystem, with "built in" resources, that make all the "hard stuff" easy... I don't care HOW it works... It just works..!! Cool.... I just need to write the "middle meat" code... That's usually hard enough for me..!!

I also LOVE the fine group of people here on TBS..!! Many here work on and share excellent code projects and fine examples to help you figure out HOW to get things done correctly.. Many here have invested large amounts of there free time in US..!!

I big "tip of the hat" to ALL here..!! I would not be working with microcontrollers and doing PCBA's of neat gagets without TBS..!!!

A BIG thank you from St.Lou..!!

palcal

Guru

Posted: 05:14pm 27 Feb 2017
Copy link to clipboard 
Print this post

I agree also I like to build my things from the ground up, it's my hobby. Hence me building the Backpack 144 and not buying a completed board, and I am learning from it.
Back to my post, the PIC16F1455 I have was from when I built Matherp's Backpack 64.
I bought the 1655 chips and programmed them with a file I found on TBS which was obviously Microblocks code.
Paul.

Page 2 of 2    
Print this page

To reply to this topic, you need to log in.

© JAQ Software 2024